What's new

Should changing graphics cards alter emulator performance?

captain obvi

About two months ago I got rid of my Nvidia rage card, and upgraded to a Radeon 9200. Since then I've noticed that project 64 has been behaving oddly. Smearing or blurring graphics and such.

Games played perfectly fine on it before with the inferior graphics card, but now with the superior one, games are choppy, and graphics tend to smear and blur often, especially on horizons. I attached a picture of the kind of 'smearing' I mean, since I don't know the technical term.

I don't really understand most of the advanced graphical opions, and the limited tinkering I have done has only caused other problems, so is there another N64 emulator program that is friendlier with a Radeon 9200 card, or am I missing some option I should've tried?

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
captain obvi said:
About two months ago I got rid of my Nvidia rage card, and upgraded to a Radeon 9200. Since then I've noticed that project 64 has been behaving oddly. Smearing or blurring graphics and such.

Oops, you mean ATI Rage, *not* Nvidia Rage.

BTW, any Radeon shall be better than an ATI Rage, because of the faster GPU.

OP
C

captain obvi

I've tried using Rice's new plugins, but then when I boot up the emulator, it tells me "Failed to load plugin", and won't let me utilize the plugins. It's driving me nuts.

revl8er

That Damn Good
you need to have the msvcr71.dll and the msvcp71.dll in your main plugin directory. You can get these from 1964 0.99

machspeed

Dead Guy
this doesnt mean you only have to use 1964...just copy/paste msvcr71.dll and msvcp71.dll into the emulator file, not the plugins (this is how i did it im not sure if gohan's method works too or if it was a mistake)

machspeed

machspeed

Dead Guy
I have the same problems on my Geforce FX 5200 128 mb....I'm not sure if its jus radeon, i usually get it when i change something having to do with combining i think it was...Not sure if i helped much...Good Luck Gohan

machspeed

OP
C

captain obvi

Mystic Gohan said:
you need to have the msvcr71.dll and the msvcp71.dll in your main plugin directory. You can get these from 1964 0.99

Not really seeing a change. Should I select one of them as my video plugin? It's not showing up as selectable, but it's also not griping that the plugins aren't working.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
1. how dare you attach such inferiority like the ATI Rage to nVidia :)
2. did you reinstall drivers? get the newest catalysts from ati.com, install DirectX 9

adr

What game is it that you've got pictured in your post? My computer specs are almost identical to Machspeed's so I'll give it a go as well and see if I have the problem.

revl8er

That Damn Good
Try using 1964 because rice's plugin seems to have problems with pj64 at the moment. I'm not sure about how it will work using a radeon, but on an fx video card I get all kinds of problems. As for your question, you need the .dll's to get rice's plugin to work.