What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

hi rez textures support and detail texturing!

hurleybird

High-res Texture Replacement Project

Ok, this could be a bit hard to do, but could make many old n64 games BEUTIFUL. If anyone here has ever tried Jdoom you would probably know that jdoom has the ability to load high-res textures if they are put in a certain directory. If the high-res texture has the same name as the normal version it is loaded instead. So in other words, if this were to be implemented you would a directory called textures in your 1964 directoy. That directory could have different directories which would be the same name as the rom which they are used for. Then you would need support to load user made textures from that directory. Another thing Jdoom supports is detail texturing (putting a tiled, scaled, grayscale, semi-transparant image over top of the original texture) which could be implemented in the same way, possibly by adding something like -d at the end of the file name. This could potentially make our old N64 roms have graphics comparable to modern video games. Would be cool, no?

Last edited:

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
I think the high-res textures, at least, would be possible. Just calculate the CRC32/MD5/SHA1 hash of the texture before uploading it to the card, see if there was a replacement texture (the hash would be the filename in the texture pack), and use the replacement. I'm sure there are other things you have to change if you alter the size of the texture, but I don't think it would be impossible.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Detail textures wouldn't be realistic, though... most N64 games don't even use multitexturing. It could have some... weird results on performance, and adding an extra texture stage could break some games if it isn't done carefully.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Why would it screw with the performance? For all the game would know, it is using the original texture. And this wouldn't be adding additional texture, it would be replacing old ones.

Or am I missing something blidingly obvious?

Remote

Sound like a lot of work, and what's the point of making old games new? Kind of removes the retro value and feeling.

Could someone in the know give a couple of cents on this?

OP
H

hurleybird

Remote said:
Sound like a lot of work, and what's the point of making old games new? Kind of removes the retro value and feeling.

Could someone in the know give a couple of cents on this?

Old games are funner when you add new media and mod the graphical hell out of them. My Doom folder is over a gigabyte (!) and in some ways looks better than many modern games :cool:

I love Quake 1 + tenebrae + hi-res textures. The graphics are really wonderful and are looking waaay better than the normal games. It should be quite awesome if we could start a project to give the really old games (like elite 2 and stunts) new graphics.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
The Khan Artist said:
Why would it screw with the performance? For all the game would know, it is using the original texture. And this wouldn't be adding additional texture, it would be replacing old ones.

Or am I missing something blidingly obvious?

Well, for one, the game could check on results.

Also unpredictable performance issues COULD arise depending on the game.

I'm not saying it's a guaranteed thing, but I'll believe it's that simple when I see it done.

It all depends on how high level the rasterisation is, I suppose.

There must be a way to optimize the games again (delete ALL uneccesary things). And then it will be still hard to give them full performance again because you are stuck to the 95 mhz of the real N64.

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
It would be possible, I guess. I'm already doing larger texture sizes (via 2xSaI), so it probably wouldn't be a big deal to add this too.

Adding detail textures could be more difficult though, especially without using pixel shaders (emulating the combiner is difficult enough already).

I might consider doing this in glN64 if there's much interest in such a thing (and there are people willing to go through the work of creating texture packs), but even then it probably wouldn't make it into v0.4...

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
See, even Orkin agrees that adding another texture stage would be painful :)

Hurry up with glN64 0.4! All these b0rked plugins on my Radeon are really annoying me :geek:

M

mainframe19

thats why i stick with nvidia geforce gfx cards!and the old vodoo3 for my 2ed pc for when my friends come over to play n64 and psx games!!

Hyper19s

Banned
mainframe19 said:
thats why i stick with nvidia geforce gfx cards!and the old vodoo3 for my 2ed pc for when my friends come over to play n64 and psx games!!

YEp nothin like the geforce cards even the old ones are great
tank you very much :crazy: :santa:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
mainframe19 said:

Judging by your signature, you also think P3 + DRDRAM is a good thing.

I got news for you. It's shit. Look at MY specs. I have experience with it. Three years' worth, in fact.

The GeForce FX line is an absolute travesty.

GothCrow

Why do you all even bother to hack the games .
We are talking about VRML the first kinda 3d modeling .
It is easyer to make you're own models and textures then rip a game .believe me.
Anywayz , if you want to hack it , you should export to vrml
search the base of the model, copy it down to a new vrml and remake the model with new textures , though you could hack those games But you will never be able to make the game tun , cause it would take years ,. and for you guys with no 3d expirience mileniums .

Rice

Emulator Developer
I actually thought about the idea a week ago.

I think it is possible to replace old texture with new hi-res textures. I don't see that there will be easily and automatically way to do so. It will very likely involve manual configuration for each game.

Btw, who will be interested to enhance the current N64 textures to hi-res textures?

From the point of view of video plugin programming, it is quite easy to do. But from the reality, I don't see it will be ever done, even just for a few most popular games.

Federelli

Beta Tester
You wouldn't believe the ammount of people willing to do this, me included :).

Damn this is an old thread :p.

Allnatural

There are still some games that don't work, and some glitches remain in those that do work. Swapping textures is a bit superfluous right now...imo.