What's new

Best Emulation Configuration For Ubuntu

HylianEagle

So... after my ever faithful vista install died out on me when doing a simple graphics update, I jumped ship to Ubuntu Jaunty 32bit (I have a 64 bit processor but much more software is written for 32 bit as of now). I have come to two options for my n64 emulation needs.

1.) Mupen64plus: I really want to use this one but I can't configure anything but graphics and without controls, it is useless.

2.) Project64 in Wine: Works pretty well but there are some issues with plugins that I can fix but again I would rather use a native program if I can.

What should I do or how can I fix mupen?

Thanks

Richard42

Emulator Developer
(I have a 64 bit processor but much more software is written for 32 bit as of now).

That's only true in the Windows world. Under Linux, almost every software package has native 64-bit builds. Even adobe flash is 64-bit now.

1.) Mupen64plus: I really want to use this one but I can't configure anything but graphics and without controls, it is useless.

You need to use the blight_input plugin. If you don't see it on the drop-down list of input plugins, you probably need to install the SDL_ttf package.

OP
H

HylianEagle

Actually, I've gotten Mupen64plus to work now but I was wondering if there is a glide64 with hires texture support for linux yet? I know mupen has rice video but glide works way better for me.

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Actually, I've gotten Mupen64plus to work now but I was wondering if there is a glide64 with hires texture support for linux yet? I know mupen has rice video but glide works way better for me.

We do not have hi-res texture support in our glide64 plugin. I believe that the newest version of this video renderer (napalm) has support but the author has not released the source code.

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Yep, the Glide64 Napalm source is out now, so it will likely be merged into Mupen64plus. It looks like this will take a lot of work though, so it will probably be a few months before a release.

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
I don’t know is Mupen64Plus team care about author’s permission, but I strongly against any side projects based on Glide64 “Napalm WX” code. And even more I against it to became “merged” into another project. Mupen64Plus may use ‘Napalm’ sources to improve their port of “Wonder”version, which I’m not caring about.
Current version is multiplatform and already can be used by Linux users. If somebody, including Mupen64Plus team, wants to improve Unix version – welcome to our message board to discuss:
http://www.emuxhaven.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69
http://www.emuxhaven.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70
There must be only one Glide64 “Napalm”. It will be best for everyone.

Richard42

Emulator Developer
I don’t know is Mupen64Plus team care about author’s permission, but I strongly against any side projects based on Glide64 “Napalm WX” code. And even more I against it to became “merged” into another project.
There must be only one Glide64 “Napalm”. It will be best for everyone.

Saying that Napalm will be 'merged' with Mupen64Plus was an inaccurate choice of words on my part, but it will require substantial modification to be useful to us. I'm in the process of designing an API to separate the core emulator from the GUI for the 2.0 release of Mupen64Plus, and this change will impact the plugins as well. Since Glide64 Napalm seems to be highly regarded for its compatibility with N64 software, it is desirable for us to make the necessary changes so that it can continue to work with Mupen64Plus. Some of these changes will not be useful to you, since they will break compatibility with the old API, but we are willing to push patches upstream for the work we do which is useful (such as porting asm code to 64-bit). I understand your desire to only have one Glide64 Napalm, so if we do make a compatible release for Mupen64Plus v2.0, we'll give it a different name to avoid confusing users.

Richard