What's new

Announcement: Cycle-accurate N64 development underway.

Rodimus Primal

I have a question about games and file extensions. I ask because some consoles are a mess with the various types of dumps (I'm looking at YOU, Sega Genesis!) but it would seem N64 is for the most part one type of file. Will your emulator be compatible with more then one type of file or will you go the byuu route and add a converter program?

OP
MarathonMan

MarathonMan

Emulator Developer
I have a question about games and file extensions. I ask because some consoles are a mess with the various types of dumps (I'm looking at YOU, Sega Genesis!) but it would seem N64 is for the most part one type of file. Will your emulator be compatible with more then one type of file or will you go the byuu route and add a converter program?

As of right now, I only support ROMs in little-endian (i.e., original, non-byteswapped) format. I don't see that changing, so I'll probably go the byuu route.

EDIT: s/little/big

Last edited:

ShadowFX

Guardian
Your last post made it a bit confusing considering what you wrote two posts ago. Though trivial, I'll just see what's supported and go with that.

OP
MarathonMan

MarathonMan

Emulator Developer
Your last post made it a bit confusing considering what you wrote two posts ago. Though trivial, I'll just see what's supported and go with that.

Whoops, sorry... misspoke. I try to recreate the console as best as possible, so _BIG_ endian (z64) format.

Started cycling the RSP core during the boot process. Have an unimplemented instruction (VADDC) that's preventing me from going any further, but code is being DMA'd from the cart to RSP DMEM/IMEM (and being executed), so I'm thrilled right now.

Been thinking about doing a pixel-accurate renderer until I get the rest of the console stabilized... undecided on it.

mrmudlord

nope, thats not enough.
settle for per-cycle.

Fuck any speed cost, because according to byuu, none of that matters. Only when you are able to run your emu by 2050 is what matters.

MarathonMan can continue doing it the right way, and I can continue my RDP shit via the Max Power(tm) way! Everyone wins!

Last edited:

Mantorok

Each of them could probably have written their own SNES emulators in the amount of time they've spent bitching about byuu across various message boards.

Zuzma

Even if you don't have a totally accurate one now you could always do it later as a selectable render output. Yabause (sega saturn) started out with an opengl renderer before they had a software based one. It doesn't rely on plugins either which is nice and the compatibility lately for it has been much better.

Last edited:
OP
MarathonMan

MarathonMan

Emulator Developer
Okay, RSP is somewhat connected and VADDC is implemented.

Next requirement for boot appears to be properly handling interrupts. I'm faking everything on a grand scale at the moment. Interestingly enough, it seems that some/most emulators do not properly support interrupt handling in the same way the hardware does.

ShadowFX

Guardian
Actually been thinking about this as there seems to be more of a following for high-res renderers.
I would say this is because there hardly was any viable alternative back then. Even now, N64 software renderers are scarce so it would be a welcome addition if you'd include it by default (also for accuracy's sake).

Remote

Perhaps you could implement the plugin spec for graphics (and use an existing plugin at the moment) and as you get more and more things done? You remove it?

mrmudlord

Each of them could probably have written their own SNES emulators in the amount of time they've spent bitching about byuu across various message boards.

Keep your abnormally large nose out of people's business please. You haven't done anything emulation related so how can YOU talk?

ShadowFX said:
Even now, N64 software renderers are scarce so it would be a welcome addition if you'd include it by default (also for accuracy's sake).

Nice to see you byuu acolytes never change.