What's new

Game Boy

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
It's great to see this thread getting some more activity :) I'm still around here. Feel free to ask anything if anyone's curious.

I still work on a bunch of Game Boy emulation. This year in particular, been tackling a few GB things that have never been emulated by anyone. Currently working on a little something, atm. You'd be surprised how much of the Game Boy we haven't touched yet, even after all this time.

[MENTION=29773]Danny[/MENTION] - Keep up the good work! That debugging setup looks pretty sweet. Took me ages to get around to making a good GUI for mine.

It's the legend himself :)

You should join us on emudev.slack.com. Lots of Gameboy devs there who'd love to interact. Gekkio (mooneye-gb author) is doing a lot of research work there too.

Of course, I still want to continue the thread here too. Nice to see some life.

EDIT: I've started my project over from scratch: https://github.com/DannyGlover/dreamboy

Great to hear from you :)

[MENTION=110864]Shonumi[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
My new Emulator DreamBoy is now passing all of blarggs cpu instruction tests (except 3, and 2 (due to not having interrupts done yet))

Looking forward to figuring this one out, then doing the Lcd again, but hopefully right this time :D

Last edited:

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Now passing all of blarggs tests..

My Lcd emulation seems hit and miss though...

Dr.Mario - Fine...
Dr_Mario.png

Tetris - Not so much...
GYez2kv.png

EDIT:

Fixed! (and implemented MBC1 rom banking)

Aladdin.png
Balloon_Kid.png
Castlevania_II.png

Donkey_Kong.png
Dr_Mario.png
Kirbys_Dreamland.png

Super_Mario_Land.png
Super_Mario_Land_II.png
Tetris.png

Last edited:

Shonumi

EmuTalk Member
I remember when I got MBC1 support implemented years ago. The first thing I did was play Kirby's Dream Land from start to finish (ostensibly for "testing"). I only had 1x scaling, keyboard input, and no sound, but I loved every minute of it :D

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
I remember when I got MBC1 support implemented years ago. The first thing I did was play Kirby's Dream Land from start to finish (ostensibly for "testing"). I only had 1x scaling, keyboard input, and no sound, but I loved every minute of it :D

I'm actually working on input now... I have a really weird MBC1 rom banking issue... In Link's Awakening, somehow rom banking is writing to the memory region 0x0000 > 0x1FFF, despite me specifying to only write to to memory location 0x4000 (I use memcpy to copy the rom bank data to memory).

Currently bamboozled as to how this is happening :huh:

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
I'm actually working on input now... I have a really weird MBC1 rom banking issue... In Link's Awakening, somehow rom banking is writing to the memory region 0x0000 > 0x1FFF, despite me specifying to only write to to memory location 0x4000 (I use memcpy to copy the rom bank data to memory).

Currently bamboozled as to how this is happening :huh:
Turned out it was due to my lack of correct halt handling. Managed to get Zelda to boot to the first screen after some tinkering..

I haven't fully fixed it yet, but I'm getting close :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Progress report:

- Fixed Halt, and replicated the "halt bug".
- Added input support. (TODO: PC gamepad support).
- Fixed MBC1 rom banking.
- Added MBC1 ram banking (including saving to file and loading from file).
- Fixed two stupid Lcd bugs that were corrupting the graphics and causing slowdown/crashes.

Now lots of games go in-game and are (maybe) playable (I don't have sprites yet).

Screenies!

The_Legend_of_Zelda_Links_Awakening.jpg
Mario_And_Yoshi.jpg
Battletoads.jpg

Still a lot left to do...

- Sprites
- Window
- Sound
- Various other MBC's
- DMA
- GB Color support

Last edited:

RossIain

Got some results porting to the PS Vita, for displaying graphics I was displaying graphics using SDL2 texture streaming with SDL_PIXELFORMAT_ARGB8888, and for some reason it wasn't showing unless the alpha bits were set which didn't need to be set on Windows/Linux/Osx/Android and iOS. Emulator is still fairly inefficient so is only running around 50fps on the Vita, but was fun to get running on it :)
EPwHuJu.jpg

hMXBWhe.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also added support for 8MB MBC5 ROMs, although the only one I could find is "Densha de Go!", let me know if there are any others, if left at the title screen too long or after selecting a train and a stage and the menu after (can't quite understand as it's in Japanese) it seems to start executing garbage, I think this is possibly down to a flaw in my MBC5 implementation considering the involved graphics in the intro sequence seem to work with no problems in my emulator.

jXOBflj.png

x6eEFDk.png

yP60Up3.png