What's new

M64Py - Python frontend for Mupen64Plus

Moshroum

Windows needs serious fixing of the Xbox 360 controller. Keys don't map properly, and there's no rumble feature. Being a console emulator, this is a critical feature.

yes, the mapping problem is documented at https://github.com/mupen64plus/mupen64plus-ui-python/issues/2

The rumble feature works fine for me. You just have to tell the emulator through your "rumble" key (right bottom of the input configuration screen) that you now switched the addon module of the virtual controller to the rumblepak.

- - - Updated - - -

And just to remember everyone: This frontend is developed by volunteers like you.

Which essentially means: If you say "xyz has not been fixed" then it actually means "I haven't fixed xyz yet". If you want to fix it then please submit patches or contribute helpful to get it resolved.

Last edited:

phly95

Alright, I get it. Just wondering, is there a way to port the nrage controller plugin to m64py from project 64, because that is by far the best plugin I have used for Xbox controllers.

Also, if nrage can't be ported, can you please reduce the sensitivity of the c stick. It seems as though you can simply bump it a tiny bit in one direction and it presses a c button you didn't want pressed (this was after finding the controller pre-config somewhere on git hub and copying it as it won't even work at all with the precompiled controller config)

Edit: the reason I'm not just going to use project 64 is because I want to get gliden64 ( http://gliden64.blogspot.com/ ) working on windows and it doesn't work on pj64 at this time. M64py is simply not ready for newbie users yet, which is something it needs to do to become the mainstream n64 emulator for windows.

Last edited:

V1del

You can set C-Stick (resp your controller's sensitivity) yourself. Go to your C buttons and on the corresponding axis values add a comma and write down the sensitvity values as needed. See also: https://github.com/mupen64plus/mupen64plus-core/wiki/Mupen64Plus-Plugin-Parameters#InputSDL (Digital Controller Section) and SDL Joytest for potentially finding the correct deadzone values

Regarding n-rage port, it is theoretically possible to port, however it would be windows only without a significant rewrite which is why none of the core devs really bothered with it. However [MENTION=101950]Falkoner[/MENTION] has some plans to port n-rage, but I don't know how far he is with that

Regarding is not ready for mainstream Windows
The devs do have a certain priority on other platforms because Windows already has a few good emulators. That said this is somewhat of an overgeneralizing statement. There are many controllers that are automatically configured correctly, it just happens that the library mupen64plus uses for input has changed the name identifier of XBOX controllers so it didn't automatically configure, this has since been fixed and should be in the next release of m64py and/or mupen64plus whichever comes first. So in the ideal case you wouldn't need to touch the controller settings at all yourself. Although the config window in m64py not saving the assignments is indeed a bug that should be looked into. All other settings are just as obscure and somewhat trial and error on other emulators as well.

Last edited:

phly95

Turns out, I tried out m64py on linux, and still no rumble feature, so I guess even on your primary platform, it's not yet ready for prime time.
Well, I'm looking forward to the future of this project, wish you luck.

V1del

Rumble is a hit and miss and relies on your drivers more than anything, the same holds true for windows

OP
G

gen2brain

Version 0.2.3 is released:

- Migrated to Qt5
- Python3 support
- Toggle video extension without restart
- Add windows portable build

phly95

yes, the mapping problem is documented at https://github.com/mupen64plus/mupen64plus-ui-python/issues/2

The rumble feature works fine for me. You just have to tell the emulator through your "rumble" key (right bottom of the input configuration screen) that you now switched the addon module of the virtual controller to the rumblepak.

- - - Updated - - -

And just to remember everyone: This frontend is developed by volunteers like you.

Which essentially means: If you say "xyz has not been fixed" then it actually means "I haven't fixed xyz yet". If you want to fix it then please submit patches or contribute helpful to get it resolved.

what do you press for rumble? Rumble is not a button, I can't really open the controller, spin the rumble thing around, and bind it. I'm confused. Is it a button that trigger for rumble so a button you press in game to turn it on/off?

Edit: looks like this is the top result on Google for "m64py rumble" https://www.google.com/search?q=m64py+rumble&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

phly95

Edit: looks like this is the top result on Google for "m64py rumble" https://www.google.com/search?q=m64py+rumble&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

The n64 has different controller paks. One of them is the rumplepack - by pressing the rumblepack button, you virtually insert it into your virtual controller and thus enable the rumble feature.

Make sure you use a version of mupen64plus compiled against SDL2 to get it to work.[/QUOTE]

I tried the exact same steps that failed with windows on linux, and now I got rumble working. Thanks.

Ragaboo

Hopefully someone here can help. I've set up a Steambox for my living room running on Windows 8.1, and I'm setting up emulators to run games from Steam tiles in Big Picture Mode. (Essentially I set up a .bat file that the Steam tile is linked to, and the .bat file launches the command line code.) For N64 I installed Mupen64 Plus and m64py, but I can't figure out the correct command line commands to put in the .bat so that it launches the games.

My ultimate goal:

* Select N64 game's steam tile with a wireless Xbox 360 controller in Steam Big Picture Mode
* Have the N64 emulator start in full-screen mode, booting up the game I selected.

For snes9x emulator, for instance, I just had to set the .bat to point to the emulator .exe file and then in quotes after that paste the file location of the .smc SNES ROM file. (The emulator itself was configured to auto-start in full-screen mode.) The same doesn't seem to work here.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!

Narann

Graphic programming enthusiast
mupen64plus provide a command line tool. You should be able to do a .bat file as snes9x. No need to rely on M64Py frontend.

Ragaboo

mupen64plus provide a command line tool. You should be able to do a .bat file as snes9x. No need to rely on M64Py frontend.

Are you able to link me to that? I haven't been able to find the command line commands I need to put into the .bat anywhere in my Google searches. Thanks so much!

mendus

I am not sure if Steam accepts them, but the same thing can be done using shortcuts, which are more customizable than bat files (icons can be changed for instance).

Joeyjoejoe

You know, it would make a lot of sense if mupen let you manually configure the gamepad the same way mednafen does, but i guess a brilliant feature like that makes too much sense.....

tinywolves

Can someone help me because I am very confused.

I downloaded the latest mupen64plus 2.5.zip. Extracted that to a folder called N64 on my desktop.

Then downloaded this thing. SO do I even need the nupen64plus as I didn't change any paths or whatnot I am confused. What should my paths be pointing to?

V1del

This does include its own full distribution of mupen64plus, if you want to use the binaries you downloaded yourself you can make the paths point to the downloaded files instead. (There hasn't been much of a difference between 2.5 and what's bundled in the latest release of this however, so you are likely not going to see much of a difference)

tinywolves

This does include its own full distribution of mupen64plus, if you want to use the binaries you downloaded yourself you can make the paths point to the downloaded files instead. (There hasn't been much of a difference between 2.5 and what's bundled in the latest release of this however, so you are likely not going to see much of a difference)

Thank you so much for responding to my question. So I assume that with later releases will always include mupen64plus, so I should stick with just this unless of course, I have some sort of problems or there hasn't been updates in a while.

Thanks so much, I understand now :)