What's new

Demul v0.7a alpha 2015/12/18

MetalliC

Demul developer
Desmume has no side cotributions due to using SVN and Sourceforge.
so what ? it's a silly excuse.
and I'm personally doesn't like Github, imo Bitbucket more handy.
Same with Yabause but now after switching to Git and Github it finally got a new skilled dev who is improving hardware rendering.
Saturn's VDP1/2 hardware rendering ? haha, i.e. adding hacky crap, but wanted badly by emu-kiddies.
best choice for person who looking for cheap popularity.
Also with Saturn there is the lack of documentation and Saturn emulation never really got any open source traction everyone was happy using closed source SSF.
lack of documentation ? really ? how about this ? http://koti.kapsi.fi/~antime/sega/docs.html
NulllDC has a very bad codebase used googlecode now as Reicast it is using github but code is just as bad as before it's heavily focused on Android and devs don't seem very interested in improving emulation due to performance reasons. Moreover many people were content with simply using closed source but superior Demul instead of contributing to NullDC.
it can upset you, but Demul was almost the same as you say "messy" Dreamcast only emulator.
then there was added Naomi, Atomiswave, Hikaru, etc. to code base which was planned as single-system emulator only.
and it becomes real mess after that :p

in any way, I think you messing with terms, yours "bad code base" as for me means "not educational-style coded" (i.e. written in such way, so every person even with very small coding experience can understand it.
With Glide Orkin(original dev) didn't use any version control system or a public repository and codebase was a mess. Gonetz too for a long time was working on it on his own in private without public repository and later interest in N64 emulation died out though now on Github N64 emulation is again getting some activity.
wtf "private repository" you are talking about ?
https://code.google.com/p/glidehqplusglitch64/
that is this ???

You definitely should consider making Demul open source. Even now as closed source one man project it's still the best Dreamcast emulator so far. Even though competition isn't very strong it's quite an achievement but by making it open source you give it a chance to reach Dolphin's or even higher level.
Of course opening a source and leaving it at that is not enough to achieve this. It took Dolphin's many years to reach that level and good management while those projects listed by you were mismanaged. To attract new developers you probably would have to do things like progress reports, technical docs about Dreamcast's architecture, emulator infrastucture with hardware tests, public forum and the codebase would have to be readable for outsiders. A lot of work but could be fruitful.
After PCSX2 switched to Github it took like half a year before they started getting new contributors.
1. its funny but all DC emulators I remember is "one person's projects", except chankast
2. as was said - Demul code base is not written in education-style, so for persons without deep DC architecture knowledge and coding experience it will be "completely mess"
3. TBH I not interested in DC emulation at all. but in arcade hardware only
4. as was said - imo GitHub is far from best choice.

Last edited:

BigKong

Glide64 had countless versions and forks some had repositories some didn't. GlideN64 has code from several source including ancient code of Orkin.
If you aren't interested in Dreamcast emulation did some other dev improve it in Demul before you? I wasn't aware about these Saturn docs but most of them can't be opened and seem to haven been removed. Those Dreamcast emulators used SVN which isn't very good for large teams and had management problems. Yabause is like 3 or 4 men project now after they switched to git and github so it's an definite improvement. Hardware rendering of weird architecture like VDP1/2 is impressive endeavor and it's quite feature intensive despite relative simplicity for instance needs programmable blending for per-pixel priority emulation.
Bitbucket looks to be be more of a closed type repository whilst githu is more collaborative.
Codebase can be nake more clear if you make it open source and cores can be better separated. PCSX2 also was very cryptic but new contributors on github helped to make it more readable for new people.

BigKong

Demul closed source all time. Finish your dispute.

Your(bad)choice which harms Demul's development but don't say open source does not give any benefit because it clearly does. Sucks some devs still live in dark ages of emulation when everything was closed source and people didn't share fruits of their work with others.

Last edited:

iWind

Demul core coder
Very more dreamcast emulators open (nulldc, lxdream). I understand the code in them, why it is not understand to you?

Why do people think they can demand the authors what to do with their piece of software????
Accept the fact that they made the software. And if they dont want to make it open source is their right.
Why dont you develop your own?
Besides that. Demul is great as it is.
I cant believe how stable it is with so many systems being emulated.
Just because your hardware cant handle it doesnt mean it has to go open source and be hacked to gain a few more fps messing the code in the process.

BigKong

Very more dreamcast emulators open (nulldc, lxdream). I understand the code in them, why it is not understand to you?

It's not about understanding their code and these projects are dead by now. Making Demul open source would valueable not because Demul is or isn't more readable than them but because it's the best Dreamcast+Arcade emulator with at least 2? active developers thus it a chance or gaining traction and more developers if it was made open source on github.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do people think they can demand the authors what to do with their piece of software????
Accept the fact that they made the software. And if they dont want to make it open source is their right.
Why dont you develop your own?
Besides that. Demul is great as it is.
I cant believe how stable it is with so many systems being emulated.
Just because your hardware cant handle it doesnt mean it has to go open source and be hacked to gain a few more fps messing the code in the process.

My hardware can hadle it that's not the point of this discussion.

sky25es

Demul is one of the few Dreamcast or arcade emulators being actively developed and updated regularly and I have to say that these guys are doing a damn good job.
I could understand if a developer wants to make a Project open source if he/they don't want to continue, but this is not the case. Keep in mind: It's THEIR software, they can do do whatever they want with it and for the moment they are sharing their efforts with us.
So please, just enjoy it as is... and thanks Demul-team for your efforts.

Cooljay

I was wondering if the Demul developers ever plan to support making Tool Assisted Movies like other emulators like Dolphin in a later build? It would be greatly appreciated from many people.

IvynLing

I'm having problems to run a .cue image (Dead or Alive 2). When I try to run it, it only appears a glitched main menu. Can someone help me? ç.ç

bigboss1964

I have demul 07a_201215 and I have tried everything but in the video menu (DX11) - the "shaders" field is disabled (greyed out) as well as internal resolution. I have a decent DX11 graphic card AMD HD 7870 and AMD Phenom II x4 CPU. I can however see both these options enabled in an older version demul0582.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

MetalliC

Demul developer
[MENTION=96678]BigBoss[/MENTION]: its not (yet) implemented in new/updated DX11 renderer, use DX11old if you need them badly.
shader filters is expected to be returned in more-less near future. can't say for sure about internal resolution, I'm not even sure its possible to make it work together with current hardware-like rendrering pipeline.

[MENTION=113906]shennue[/MENTION]: current Demul uses arcade CHDs from MAME romset. guess which version they are ? ;)

MetalliC

Demul developer
not a surprise. chd v4 images is all bad, v4 was not designed for GD-ROMs at all, but it somewhat works by accident. converting v4 to v5 makes data even more corrupted.
get original GDI, convert to chd using latest chdman and it will work fine.
have TOSEC US set in chd v5 here, just 114GB.

Last edited:

bigboss1964

[MENTION=96678]BigBoss[/MENTION]: its not (yet) implemented in new/updated DX11 renderer, use DX11old if you need them badly.
shader filters is expected to be returned in more-less near future. can't say for sure about internal resolution, I'm not even sure its possible to make it work together with current hardware-like rendrering pipeline.

Metallic: You are the man!!
Thanks for clarifying that mate.

shennue

not a surprise. chd v4 images is all bad, v4 was not designed for GD-ROMs at all, but it somewhat works by accident. converting v4 to v5 makes data even more corrupted.
get original GDI, convert to chd using latest chdman and it will work fine.
have TOSEC US set in chd v5 here, just 114GB.

Ok.Got it. I tried starting from gdi and now works!

shennue

In my collection i have also some multisession cdi images that cannot be converted to chd. Demul accepts mds file image but not the mdx compressed one. To save space i will contert cdi to mdx if demul support it.

MetalliC

Demul developer
multisession is not supported by current CHD format.

about mdf/mds, mdx, etc formats - sorry, but there no people who have will to improve or implement various image formats support. especially if they can be easily converted to cdi or cue/bin instead.