What's new

Controls not working when run from EmulationStation

tywjohn

Hi,

When I run mupen64plus from a desktop environment the controls work. Keyboard and joystick.
When I log into emulationstation from the login manager directly and run mupen64plus from there, no controls work. I can't seem to work out why but I guess it's something to do with SDL and not being in a proper X server.
Has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix?
I'm just using a regular old computer, not a Raspberry Pi or anything weird.

F

Fanatic 64

This seems to be specifically a EmulationStation issue. You should fill a ticket on the development site.

Also:
What are your computer specifications? (Operating system, processor, graphics card, RAM, etc.)
What controller are you trying to use?
Do neither the keyboard nor the controller work?

OP
T

tywjohn

Ubuntu 14.04
Using a cheap generic joypad that is identified as "Dragonrise"
2GB RAM
Intel Graphics 3100 (I think. Whatever is standard in a Dell Optiplex 755).
And I believe it's a Core 2 Duo.

Anyway, when running mupen64plus from EmulationStation the joypad does not work. I am able to exit the emulator by pressing Esc but I haven't tried setting up the keyboard as a device in mupen so I'm not sure if that would work.

If I log into LXDE and run EmulationStation from there and then run mupen64plus, the same thing happens.
If I log into LXDE and run mupen64plus directly from a terminal emulator, everything works as it should.

I have not had the same problem with libretro or pcsxr, just mupen64plus.

I will raise a ticket on the developer website for ES.
Thanks,
Ty

F

Fanatic 64

Intel Graphics 3100 (I think. Whatever is standard in a Dell Optiplex 755).
Off-topic, and I don't mean to be rude, but you are going to get graphic errors with that (it doesn't support OpenGL, so no Glide64, and Rice Video has issues with any Intel graphics chip).

OP
T

tywjohn

To my own surprise, Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 run flawlessly.
Maybe it's a different graphics card but it is onboard.

F

Fanatic 64

It's an Intel Graphics and Media Accelerator 3100.

Maybe the guys at M64P made some fixes to Rice Video. I remember death--droid fixed the Intel issues in his version of the plugin.

V1del

[MENTION=49909]Fan[/MENTION]atic
He's running linux, the drivers for intels this old are significantly better on the OpenGL front (for obvious reasons and can even go up to 2.1 compliance, despite only reaching 1.4 max in windows) and are still being continuously updated, so it's not that suprising that he can actually run the emu.
[MENTION=8630]topic[/MENTION]
I was originaly thinking it may be due to how you initialize X (see: http://www.emutalk.net/threads/55000-Mupen64Plus-does-not-detect-SDL-Joystick ) but if it happens while already logged in, it may very well be an emustation issue, though that seems to be illogical to me as EmuStation depends on proper initial config from what I've seen. Could it be that the m64p launcher specifies a other configfile to use which has disabled the automatic detection?