What's new

shader cache build up

emusa

Hey Metallic and others,

Demul builds up the shader cache when you play a game, this causes stuttering. Other emulators, like Dolphin (Ishiiruka fork) and Cemu have the option to download preload shader cache. Is this possible for Demul as well? Would be SO great, since it eliminates almost all stutter when cache is available.

Buy the way, the Vsync in Demul works great now! I don't now for how long, but in Windows 10 with my GTX780 it doesn't cause the hiccups that it once did :tup:

meshflesh

Hey Metallic and others,

Demul builds up the shader cache when you play a game, this causes stuttering. Other emulators, like Dolphin (Ishiiruka fork) and Cemu have the option to download preload shader cache. Is this possible for Demul as well? Would be SO great, since it eliminates almost all stutter when cache is available.

Buy the way, the Vsync in Demul works great now! I don't now for how long, but in Windows 10 with my GTX780 it doesn't cause the hiccups that it once did :tup:

I had my eye on this thread for a while. I have hardware similar to yours. And I too was experiencing those stutters that you speak of.

I finally overcame the issue. DEMUL HATES SSDS!! I was experienciing game breaking stutters of 30fps.(due to shader cache buildup perhaps?). Once I moved demul over to my 7200rpm hdd....the shader lag was reduced drastically to about 2-3fps at a time. HUGE IMPROVEMENT and hardly gamebreaking. Hopefully this helps you and others!

sky25es

Only two words: Ram Drive...
Make a Ram Drive and put there all the Demul files except the roms (in order to sabe space) and you'll see some real improvement

meshflesh

I had my eye on this thread for a while. I have hardware similar to yours. And I too was experiencing those stutters that you speak of.

I finally overcame the issue. DEMUL HATES SSDS!! I was experienciing game breaking stutters of 30fps.(due to shader cache buildup perhaps?). Once I moved demul over to my 7200rpm hdd....the shader lag was reduced drastically to about 2-3fps at a time. HUGE IMPROVEMENT and hardly gamebreaking. Hopefully this helps you and others!

UPDATE: upon further inspection...ive come to the following conclusion. Games run badly off of my m2 ssd specifically. Every other sata ssd/hdd runs smooth.

So for me the problem was running demul off of m2 ssd.

bothanspy

Only two words: Ram Drive...
Make a Ram Drive and put there all the Demul files except the roms (in order to sabe space) and you'll see some real improvement

Thanks for this suggestion. Using a RAM drive made a noticeable difference in performance on my laptop.

sky25es

See ? ;) Ram is alway faster tan any hard drive, including SSD's. Therefore, using a Ram Drive is the way to go with Demul. Just store the rom and disc-image files in a normal Hard drive and make a Ram Drive just big enough to accomodate the shader cache.

P.S.: BTW: Ramdisk = Ramdrive :)

Last edited: