What's new

What do you want in Project64 ?

zilmar

Emulator Developer
We are considering new features that people would want in pj64 which are not in 1.6
So far the different ideas we have are these.
  • High texture replacement
  • Net play
  • Quick switching mempacks
  • Configuring short cut keys
  • 7zip support
  • Cheat Creation tools
  • Transfer pak for pokemon stadium
  • Save selected plugin per game
  • Backup instant saves
  • Better widescreen support
What things would you love in pj64 but we have never done?

CF2

Pretends to make sense
I would very much appreciate cheat creation tools, ala nemu's memory editor or something similar, since nemu is so finicky and has a very bad cheat system.

Clements

Here are some suggestions/bug fixes (If they haven't been done in the beta):

• RSP selector to switch between RSP plugins as with 1964/Mupen64.
  • Per-game plugin settings, so you can set up custom configs for certain games that only work with a certain plugin. This could go in the 'Edit Game Settings' dialog.
  • Intergrated XP visual styles without the use of the bundled PJ64.exe.manifest file.
  • Fix the bug that causes certain menus to be cut off when you raise the font DPI in Display > Settings > Advanced, General tab.
  • Include CRC in naming the save file as with 1964, or alternatively, name the saves not using the internal name, such as the file name of the rom image like Mupen64. This avoids the problem when two games share the same internal name but are different games (eg. Master Quest/Ocarina of Time, games with different regions).
  • Change FPS counter to V/Is (like 1964), and have an option to show the true framerate in Jabo's plugin as a small counter (like Glide64).
  • Separate refresh rate drop down menu for Jabo's plugin (like Direct64). The current drop down menu as it is is very long, since it includes every resolution and refresh combination your monitor supports, so a separate menu for refresh would be better here.
  • Show what format a rom is in in the Rom Information dialog (byteswapped, little endian, big endian).
  • Currently PJ64 already makes use of MMX and SSE if your CPU has support for it. How about SSE2 support as well, as this is now very common.
  • About box appears to be broken with IE7 Beta 2 (but not IE6). Perhaps the about box could be changed as to not require IE.
  • Update user manual, several stuff applies to 1.5 only, like the uninstall reg files.

Last edited:

Tri4ce

smynes had a kewl play the intro thing when you past over a game rom in your list.

I would love to see a feature like this in project 64.

apzrman

Banned
I think that something should be done to the controls so that you can walk in games. I've got a pc conrtoller and it still makes every game character run. It's hard in games like banjo-tooie when u have 2 get pass the sleeping cave man, and in mario party 3 when doing the bowser toss.

Clements

You can already walk by either using an analog pad, or adjusting the deadzone in the Input Settings.

Milkrosoft

I love the range of configuration options in N-Rage's input plugin but one thing that I have not been able to do with any input plugin is simulate a button hold. For example, in Jet Force Gemini, the R button is used to switch to a first-person-style viewpoint. The game requires you to hold down the R button to stay in first-person. I think it would be nice if you could configure buttons to be recognized as held down until they were pressed again.

A flashy new PJ64 icon would be cool too.

Last edited:

Dj Noop

Brand New
It's real nice of you to ask what we'd like, I appreciate it!

.7z compatibility is a great idea, especially if, somehow, I could choose the version of the game within a .7z file, seeing as how zipping versions of the same game together has become popular.

It would be nice if the pluggins/pluggin settings could be remembered from game to game (ex, I only really use Adjust Game Aspect Ratio for Zelda games).

Aside from these, any nice surprises are welcomed by me. The overall stability and compatibility are already pretty solid, so any further improvements on that (Bomberman... ect.) and system glitches (actual 64 glitch effects, like on NES emus) would make Project 64 that much stronger.

Last edited:

Dr. X

A thing that every one yet think is the Voice Pak/Mic support. I know, this pak is only used in Hey You Pikachu, but the Transfer Pak already had a small support in nrage plugin and is used only in Pokémon Stadium 1/2, so, the support of the voice pak is a coll thing to improve in the Project 1.7.

Sorry by my BAD English, I'm Brazilian :)

ConkersCow

there are couple of shooting games around, if mouse works its kinda cool to aim and blow the baddies with clickas ;) this would probably in In-Put plug-in thingie...

A part from these, I always wanted to see CastleVania'z (both) working perfectly (kinda favorite)

Nekojin

re

Have a closer look to Nemu 64 and 1964.

I think all the things mentioned above would be great.

What I would really appreciate is Video Recording. This would be nice for Speed runs or simply game walktroughts.

Thanks for anything.

elektrixxx

ConkersCow said:
there are couple of shooting games around, if mouse works its kinda cool to aim and blow the baddies with clickas ;) this would probably in In-Put plug-in thingie...

You can make one yourself using the controller plugin's modifiers. I made one a couple of years ago specifically for goldeneye, and it played almost like a normal FPS for PC.

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Clements said:
Here are some suggestions/bug fixes (If they haven't been done in the beta):

• RSP selector to switch between RSP plugins as with 1964/Mupen64.
  • Per-game plugin settings, so you can set up custom configs for certain games that only work with a certain plugin. This could go in the 'Edit Game Settings' dialog.
  • Intergrated XP visual styles without the use of the bundled PJ64.exe.manifest file.
  • Fix the bug that causes certain menus to be cut off when you raise the font DPI in Display > Settings > Advanced, General tab.
  • Include CRC in naming the save file as with 1964, or alternatively, name the saves not using the internal name, such as the file name of the rom image like Mupen64. This avoids the problem when two games share the same internal name but are different games (eg. Master Quest/Ocarina of Time, games with different regions).
  • Change FPS counter to V/Is (like 1964), and have an option to show the true framerate in Jabo's plugin as a small counter (like Glide64).
  • Separate refresh rate drop down menu for Jabo's plugin (like Direct64). The current drop down menu as it is is very long, since it includes every resolution and refresh combination your monitor supports, so a separate menu for refresh would be better here.
  • Show what format a rom is in in the Rom Information dialog (byteswapped, little endian, big endian).
  • Currently PJ64 already makes use of MMX and SSE if your CPU has support for it. How about SSE2 support as well, as this is now very common.
  • About box appears to be broken with IE7 Beta 2 (but not IE6). Perhaps the about box could be changed as to not require IE.
  • Update user manual, several stuff applies to 1.5 only, like the uninstall reg files.

Hey clements, just a little feedback - I'm not sure how much SSE2 would really help, also why do you want a RSP selector? I am not concerned about the feature, but, actually why you would want it, is there something other RSP plugins allow you to do?:sombrero:

Dj Noop

Brand New
I'm patient as far as perfection goes. Quality is always a must, but pj64 has already shown that. Longterm I'd just like to see this being as compatible as NES emus are now. (In response to "... to run all N64 Games at 100%. Possible ? Dont think so ;( ")

Miretank

Lurking
Jabo said:
I am not concerned about the feature, but, actually why you would want it, is there something other RSP plugins allow you to do?
I agree with Clemets :)
Some games seems to run better with a different RSP plugin than PJ64's main plugin. Example: some games runs better when use Hacktarux's RSP in PJ64, but to do this, you need to replace the rsp.dll manually, what sometimes is a bit boring :)

Though I'm not sure if this will solve all the problems, may be problems are still in PJ64 core... I mean examples like Rat Attack - in PJ64 it is slow, almost unplayable - but in other emus with different RSP, it runs perfectly. :)