What's new

Game Boy

-//zAe\\-

GB emu opcodes question

Hello!
I have wrote my chip8 emulator already. Now i want to upgrade to a Game Boy emu.
Where should i start from? What docs should i read? What should i know before start coding?
Help me, please! :)

sammyboy

Certified SuperHero
http://www.goldroad.co.uk/archive1.html it had some usefull information on hoe he programmed the gb emulator... there may be some docs on there (you could always email the developer and ask for his docs) but it is quite a useful site.
Could you execute your emu and put a link here please.

SculleatR

Ninphin Author
I hope this helps. :)
It says "GameBoy CPU Manual" but IIRC it has info on other parts aswell.

Good luck with ya emu. :)

Attachments

• GB.pdf
    292 KB · Views: 3,482
OP
-//zAe\\-

-//zAe\\-

Mybe it is a stupid question. but anyway:
Can someone write here a smaaaaaal "how to" with a few basic steps, like this:
"To code your Game Boy Emulator, you will need to Load the rom into the memory, create a stack pionter, a program counter, a screen array..." Yes, something like that.
Please! Your help is greatly needed! :)

aprentice

I don't think you need anything other than that manual skulleatr posted, I had a look at it, looks very nice.

You could also download a cart header doc and a memory map doc and you should be set to go.

Btw skulleatr, where'd you get this doc from?

OP
-//zAe\\-

-//zAe\\-

Well, if you say so Aprentice, i will try to code my emu all by myself! :)
At least i can try...
But anyway, thanks a lot guys! I will try to do my best! :)

SculleatR

Ninphin Author
Ap, I got it off google, I used that doc end of 2002 i think too when
i was doing some GB stuff, so I refound it easily.

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
i dunno if its any help but ive got 4 documents in this zip on the concepts of emulation, i mean with consoles its pretty much the same thing, the tech docs for the gameboy on zophar should tell you the parts you need then the opcodes will tell the pc what to do with the data as it comes in.

How To's General Emulation

Stezo2k

S-2K
refraction said:
i dunno if its any help but ive got 4 documents in this zip on the concepts of emulation, i mean with consoles its pretty much the same thing, the tech docs for the gameboy on zophar should tell you the parts you need then the opcodes will tell the pc what to do with the data as it comes in.

How To's General Emulation

wow mate, nice to see you here alex :)

this guy knows his stuff, his chip8 emulator was well mint

good luck with your other projects mate

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
Stezo2k said:
wow mate, nice to see you here alex :)

this guy knows his stuff, his chip8 emulator was well mint

good luck with your other projects mate

nice to see you too man :)

haha ive not finished it yet! its in the process of being converted to windows, and is being designed with a custom Graphics Engine created by Zenogais (Creator of NeoPSX and dev for ps2sp sound plugin) but ive not touched it for a while, hoping to release it to the public once its done :)

i know its nowt special but its got full chip8 and schip8 support, sound still to come (but shouldnt be hard) and gonna reprogram a couple of bits so it doesnt eat your cpu.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
refraction said:
nice to see you too man :)

haha ive not finished it yet! its in the process of being converted to windows, and is being designed with a custom Graphics Engine created by Zenogais (Creator of NeoPSX and dev for ps2sp sound plugin) but ive not touched it for a while, hoping to release it to the public once its done :)

i know its nowt special but its got full chip8 and schip8 support, sound still to come (but shouldnt be hard) and gonna reprogram a couple of bits so it doesnt eat your cpu.
Wow, now that's something I'd like to have the source for! :D
:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
Doomulation said:
Wow, now that's something I'd like to have the source for! :D
:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

well we MAY make it open source when we release it, but we will have to wait n see ;)

Must give him most of the props tho, he started me off with a template, then i sorted out the bugs in the op codes and wrote most of the ones that hadnt been done and altered a few things to draw the sprites, including buffer flipping :)