What's new

extracting models from roms? possible?

E

emuguy

is it possible to extract models from roms and open em in a 3d modelling program?
tnx

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
K, moved that one to the General N64 Emulation Discussion board, due to obvious reasons. Now, afaik, the latest Nemu has models extraction ability, and if I'm not mistaken, so does icepir8's latest OGL plugin.

OP
E

emuguy

OMG, if this works it will be really helpfull to our dev team, thanx. but one question. is icepire8's plugin compatible with pj64? if not which emu is it made for, and does anyone kinow how to do this with either the plugin or nemu? i need to extract the models to open in maya

OP
E

emuguy

also where can i find this plugin? it isnt in ET's download section

OP
E

emuguy

ok i got the plugin, only i cant find anything to dump models, and our coder has tried with nemu but cant find anything either. any of uguys know how to do this. really need to know, BADLY:/

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
emuguy said:
ok i got the plugin, only i cant find anything to dump models, and our coder has tried with nemu but cant find anything either. any of uguys know how to do this. really need to know, BADLY:/
blah... there is a thread in the Nemu forum that tells you how...

but I'll say anyways..

In Nemu (dno about Icepir8's plugin) you go to the video options (while you are in the game and the model you want to rip is on the screen) and then check "Export VRML" the emulator will slow to a crawl then go back to it, uncheck it... and it will be c:\output.wrl (vrml format)... you'll need to import the file and it will have everything on the screen... so you will need to delete some of the scenery (assuming you just want to rip a character model)

then after that, you have to weld with 0.0001... and select all the polygons and flip them... to make it look right (at least, you have to do this with 3dsmax 5)

if you have any other questions about it, try the nemu forum and and look in the thread about it..

EDIT: what are you going to do with the models?

Just so you know, they're not computer game quality... they're really low poly and wouldn't be on par with what modelers can make for computer games...

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
emuguy said:
but one question. is icepire8's plugin compatible with pj64?
Oh my goodness! That's the most stupidest question I've ever heard!
All the plugins released here seperatly are zilmar-spec compitable! I hope you know what that means.

OP
E

emuguy

i already said i know how to do it with nemu. i even posted a pic last night but i dunno where its gone:/ anywy here it is again. marios castle with a couple of tweaks.

icepir8

I don't have VRML support in the current releases. I want to research the VRML specs before I add it to my plugin. Exporting the geometery without the textures seems a little weak to me but I haven't worked out how to specify textures in VRML yet.

OP
E

emuguy

:(. ok. how long do u think this would be until u make a release? personally i dont care about textures not being exported. cos n64 are crap. any models i use would be tweaked and then have a whole new skin made for em. ive heard talk of a few plugins that can do this, but i cant find anymore. i just need one that can run goldeneye and perfect dark and that has the vrml export feature. doesnt really matter how it runs either, just so long as i can see where i am and the polys export well:p. alternativley, is there any other emus that can use the nemu64 gfx plugin that has vrml? this would possibley help too, cos i dunno if its a problem with the emu or the gfx plugin. thanx

Vchat20

Hmm. would it be possible to extract stuff like Vehicles from Mario Kart 64 (Toad's Raceway or whatever its called) or Cruisn' USA? cuz if possible I would like to convert them over to vehicles for Midtown Madness 2

LD.

*poke*
Mario Kart doesn't use 3D cars though, it uses 2D sprites. You'll have a hell of a job converting those ;)

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
icepir8 said:
I don't have VRML support in the current releases. I want to research the VRML specs before I add it to my plugin. Exporting the geometery without the textures seems a little weak to me but I haven't worked out how to specify textures in VRML yet.

being able to extract the textures along with the geo;s would be great, maybe you can ask lemmy how he got VRML supported in his plugin, or something. In any case good luck :)

OP
E

emuguy

ok i found a way to make goldeneye and perfect dark work:) im happy:)

OP
E

emuguy

damn, perfect dark crashes on any levels post the first one with the numu plugin and 196. on nemu it doesnt load any levels at all. is there any other options for me out there? tnx

OP
E

emuguy

maybe there is other software out there that can do the same thing as nemus vrml export. after all, all it has to do is export anything thats rendered. if anyone notices anything like this can u let me know plz? tnx