What's new

Enix says hello to Square

blizz

Enix and Square announced early today that, effective November 26, they will begin to merge operations and form Square Enix, a brand-new company created to compete in the world marketplace on the same level as America and Europe's large third parties. The two companies plan to complete the merger by April 1, 2003; their aim is to build a new firm that will produce 80 billion yen ($656 million) in yearly sales and 15 billion yen ($123 million) in profit by fiscal 2005.
"In the ever-changing world of entertainment software, the most important issue facing companies today is how quickly they can grow as the marketplace and opportunities for business expand and diversify," said a financial statement released by Enix today. "Enix and Square's response to this issue is the merger announced today...Together, we will aim to become producer of the highest-quality digital content in the world."

As part of the merger, shareholders will receive 0.81 shares of Enix stock in exchange for every Square stock they hold. Square, in its current company structure, will be disbanded, and (on paper, anyway) Enix will absorb Square's assets and liabilities. However, Yoichi Wada, current president of Square, will head up the new company, suggesting that Square will have more power than Enix in the merger's final structure.

"Starting around August, people inside the office started saying that there'd be huge buzz if we went together with Square," commented Enix chairman Yasuhiro Fukushima at a press conference this afternoon. "So after I talked it over with Mr. Wada from Square, we realized we could make some incredible games together." "Our styles our different, but our ways of thinking are the same," added Enix president Keiji Honda. "I want to make games that the whole world will say are great."

Both Square and Enix are large Japanese companies having difficulty competing with EA, Activision, Infogrames and other Western software giants. Square returned to profit in the last half-year after taking a major hit from the failed Final Fantasy movie, but still faces deep losses in operational profit from the lack of any major hit in 2002. Enix, meanwhile, is the producer of the blockbuster Dragon Quest series in Japan but hasn't been capable of releasing any other major sellers. Together, the two companies will form a massive third party that will virtually corner the market for RPGs in Japan, a springboard they will undoubtedly use to challenge the Western market more seriously than before.

Wada commented that the merger is "an offensive move" for both companies--we'll see exactly what kind of offense the new company has in mind over the next couple of days.

interesting that Square shares get replaced by Enix shares, that screams takeover to me ;)

this leaves Sony with around an 8% stake in Enix, which Nintendo fans will be following with interest

it's even more interesting since DragonQuest 8 is rumoured to be a Gamecube exclusive (since it is probably the only title that will pull Nintendo back into the competition in the Japanese market)

and what with the "Big Four" titles announcement from Nintendo in December, there isn't that long to wait now

Slougi

:!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!:
Whatever platform they concentrate on I will get :cool:

Cyberman

This isn't a big surprise Square has suffered horribly from being dumb enough to make FF the movie (I'm sorry I was not happy they wasted time and money on a movie that was dull and stupid even if the affects were cool). There lack of good creative releases prior to the exploits are easily listed
FF7
FFTactics
Xenogears
FF8

All these were huge block busters however since those releases I can't remember any big square games. FF9 wasn't that big FF10 well WAY TO DAMNED SHORT. FF11 is dying rather nicely (mumble). I think they died in the 'digital content' part of there games to be honest. They are making too much glitz and not enough game. FF9 I was totally disappointed in. I HATED BLITZBALL totally. Games should be simple and compliment the main theme not frustrating and anoying. I stoped playing blitz after the 'trial' game (which I won ;) ). FF8 although a linear game was at least enjoyable and damn fun.

Perhaps a small RPG like Threads of Fate (DAMN GOOD GAME! but too short).

Anyhow enough of that.. Enix has been flundering too a bit. Dragon Warrior 7 .. was boring (heh) if they had had worked more on the combat and story line I would have found it more interesting.

If any of you have played Alundra and Alundra 2.. these are actually .. sadly BETTER than FF10.. I don't know what to say a PSX game having FF7 grade graphics being more fun.. but it is.. not finished with it yet.

I think they need to work on the game more and have less hollyweird ambitions in an RPG.

A Vagrant story sequel would be cool though, I liked that game, the graphics were good (actually fantastic) the story was equally strange and riviting. The ending was pretty cool too. Plenty of sequel potential I think. The part I didn't like was it was rather challenging even when cheating like a mad man.

Cyb

OP
blizz

blizz

Cyberman said:
If any of you have played Alundra and Alundra 2.. these are actually .. sadly BETTER than FF10.. I don't know what to say a PSX game having FF7 grade graphics being more fun.. but it is.. not finished with it yet.

that's a bold statement, Alundra 2 was ass, it had nothing to do with the brilliance that was Alundra other than that the same team made the games

I started playing FFX, it's pretty but that's it

/me goes back to Rachet & Clank

zero0w

Maverick Hunter
But the question is why? Why two BIG RPG giants need to merge? Are the business that bad that merging is a way out? Perhaps, more explanation will come later :blush: .

CRi{]v[}iNaL

Cyberman said:
This isn't a big surprise Square has suffered horribly from being dumb enough to make FF the movie (I'm sorry I was not happy they wasted time and money on a movie that was dull and stupid even if the affects were cool). There lack of good creative releases prior to the exploits are easily listed
FF7
FFTactics
Xenogears
FF8

All these were huge block busters however since those releases I can't remember any big square games.

Cyb

It seems that somebody here hasnt played Chrono Cross

Gorxon

Administrator
Cyberman said:
FF7
FFTactics
Xenogears
FF8

All these were huge block busters however since those releases I can't remember any big square games.

Well, i have to disagree about ff8. Other than that i agree, but I think the SNES ff's should be listed too...and chrono trigger (best rpg ever?)

But, Square's games is as far as I can see going (steep) downhill, and they should seriously consider the road that their games are going. But they wont...they sell to darn well. I don't mean that any FF's is a bad game, but not necessarely as good as it could have been either...
Let's just hope FF:Crystal Chronicles will be a big leap away from the main series and bring the good ol FF style back. So far it looks good, but you never know how Square will mess up :!!!:

FF9 wasn't that big FF10 well WAY TO DAMNED SHORT. FF11 is dying rather nicely (mumble). I think they died in the 'digital content' part of there games to be honest. They are making too much glitz and not enough game. FF9 I was totally disappointed in. I HATED BLITZBALL totally. Games should be simple and compliment the main theme not frustrating and anoying. I stoped playing blitz after the 'trial' game (which I won ;) ). FF8 although a linear game was at least enjoyable and damn fun.

Hmmm...well, actually I prefer ff9 more than ff8. Oh well, maybe it's because i prefer that style over the ff8 style tho.
FFX was a big disappointment as far as i can see. IMHO it's not even worth getting a PS2 for...which a FF game should be....the only thing i liked about FFX really was the gfx...but after playing thru Resident Evil for GameCube I quickly got spoiled with better gfx :happy:

Last edited:

Cyberman

blizz said:
that's a bold statement, Alundra 2 was ass, it had nothing to do with the brilliance that was Alundra other than that the same team made the games

I started playing FFX, it's pretty but that's it

/me goes back to Rachet & Clank

Heh.. Moo (sorry) Alundra 2 is better than FF9 I got bored with FF9 and didn't play it for 4 months.. Alundra 2 I play like every week. I guess it's preferences.

Anyhow .. my point is.. where is the fun in the games? FFX I'm like about to destroy sin.. it's like after djose it's no time tell fighting sin at all. I'm use to 200 + hours of game play I guess.. not 12 ;) I haven't played FFX since I started doing the Cactuar village quest :)
Granted the graphics are quite good but I'm less than thrilled with the game.

Have you played MGS - Sons of Libery? I heard it was quite good.

Anyhow.. I've been disapointed in the lack of direction Square has been going in. I'm just wondering what will merging do? They both are sucking in there ability to deliver fun games lately.

Cyb

PS: I have chrono Cross but that sequal was done in the era prior to 2000 anything since then .. is kind of cheesy. Kingdom Hearts some people like, but I think it's because they are a square fan .. or a disney fan.

Granted none of these are as bad as Legend of Legaia. :)

OP
blizz

blizz

Cyberman said:
Heh.. Moo (sorry) Alundra 2 is better than FF9 I got bored with FF9 and didn't play it for 4 months.. Alundra 2 I play like every week. I guess it's preferences.

I don't play either of them anymore, but I don't own Alundra 2 anymore, I play Alundra a hell of a lot

Cyberman said:
Have you played MGS - Sons of Libery? I heard it was quite good.

yeah it's good, but most people overate it much like MGS on the PSX

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
Gorxon said:
...and chrono trigger (best rpg ever?)

People kinda forgot that chrono trigger was made by square and enix (and some dragonball guy ;))...Back in the day, that was one of a kind. Obviously the results didnt disappoint.

simple logic tells me that this merger is good news :)

Last edited: