What's new

software mode?

R

rico001

Could they release the nemu software mode source for nemu 6??

This is also to let other people know it looks really good for nemu software! (I'm actaully trying to not get banned in asking this)

Is software mode a dumb idea for UltraHLE?

Don't Get mad, plz, Peoples.

attached is bad screenshot of software mode using nemu video 0.6.

A selfish thought as I'm probably the only one in the forum using this horrible of computer.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Nemu has nothing to do with Uhle, completely different authors to uhle alpha as well. the source for nemu is closed so i doubt it

Cyberman

rico001 said:
Could they release the nemu software mode source for nemu 6??

This is also to let other people know it looks really good for nemu software! (I'm actaully trying to not get banned in asking this)

Is software mode a dumb idea for UltraHLE?

Don't Get mad, plz, Peoples.

attached is bad screenshot of software mode using nemu video 0.6.

A selfish thought as I'm probably the only one in the forum using this horrible of computer.
The N64 system was designed using a striped down version of SGI's reality engine. SGI created Open GL. What am I getting at? As far as I know the games use OGL for the graphics (they don't have too though), this means you probably want to use an OGL driver for the 'plugin' end of things too. Granted it's not necessarily correct (or should I say some translation will still be necessary). You can get something of a software mode if you use the included OGL drivers MS made for there windows (although it's buggy and software only). You could use the TR64 plugin likely with your machine and although it won't be beautiful it should work.

Cyb

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Mind that software is VERY slow. And it would be unneccesary to leech the source of nemu for this since it's two diffrent emulators, and the fact that nemu isn't as much HLE as uhle. It would require to re-write the code.

But then...even with HLE, software is SLOW, so i don't see a point on doing it.

inelson

becauuuuuuse

software mode ... why
let's see

as u can see, there are ppl that use that mode. not everyone has a gforce or some other kickass video device (wow, sounds so "win 98") to play this games.

there's one reason

here's a second one

i'm a programmer too. when i make a program, i make it to be the best at it's category, i add every little thing that comes to my mind.
so, every programmer thinks that way. why?
A) to get more ppl using their programs.
B) self pride
C) bla bla
i'm sure ultraHLE Alpha author wants a lot of ppl to use his emulator, so ... add as much shi* as u can!
even a little thing like a software mode, adds points to the score!

ask that guy that doesn't have a video accelerator ... he wants to play too hehehe

good luck !

N4ch0

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
1) To use the software mode of an N64 emulator and get anywhere near playable speeds, an ultra-fast CPU is needed.

2) The majority of people have a 3D GFX accelerator of some kind anyway.

3) Over 99% of people without a 3D GFX accelerator have slow CPUs.

4) Emulator authors tend to develop for the mahority of people first and worry about the minority later.

5) Most emulator authors think the people without 3D GFX accelerators should play something less demanding now and get a 3D GFX accelator later.

My point? Most people who would need a software mode would get totally unplayable speeds anyway!

Last edited:

inelson

true, i haven't thought of the speed

however minorities still exist, and u know they will love even only to just see the nintendo logo at the beggining of zelda OoT (mmmm my english sux, sorry)

i don't think a software mode is too hard to do
i also think it should be implemented in the final version so the author don't lose time

but it's still a nice idea i think

when i had the voodoo2 and had to play zelda and mario only (because that was the only good games supported by uHLE at that time) i was dying to play zelda 2, and i could only run it in nemu, in software mode

sucks, lack of speed etc
but i loved to see the mask spinning on my monitor =p

bye!

Cyberman

inelson said:
true, i haven't thought of the speed

however minorities still exist, and u know they will love even only to just see the nintendo logo at the beggining of zelda OoT (mmmm my english sux, sorry)

i don't think a software mode is too hard to do
i also think it should be implemented in the final version so the author don't lose time

but it's still a nice idea i think

when i had the voodoo2 and had to play zelda and mario only (because that was the only good games supported by uHLE at that time) i was dying to play zelda 2, and i could only run it in nemu, in software mode

sucks, lack of speed etc
but i loved to see the mask spinning on my monitor =p

bye!
There would be one advantage of a software mode. For 100% exact images of the emulator output (IE it looks exactly like the consoles images). As said it would suck for speed ;)
I remember running NEMU under software mode on a P166 .. after watching the intro for 6 minutes I stoped it ;)

Cyb

supergamer

Banned
If somebody wants to know...

You want to try software modes? Try to run in RGB emulation in project 64 or 1964. Slow isn't it? Ultra HLE is a lot faster but if you haven't a hardware-accelerated card some glide wrappers will switch to software mode.