have no any technology document about the platform.Please
help me.

Cyberman

toobig1 said:
I want to code a emulator, especially a emu of saturn. But I
have no any technology document about the platform.Please
help me.

Check out Satourne`

As for the CPU it has multiple ones actually. I think 2 SCP2's or something like that. Anyhow lurk for the Satourne` homepage and see what he has to give you clues.

Also note this is a HUGE undertaking.. be prepared for a LOT of frustration. :)

Cyb

Cyberman

Ok dokey it's the SH-2 processor from Hitachi.
Doh :)
Anyhow satourne web site I believe has a bit of information on it. It is in french however :)

Cyb

OP
toobig1

toobig1

I can only use c++,and I have Visual Studio 7.0.
Thank you for your suggestion,but first I must learn French.
Anyhow ,I'd like to do anything for my emu,I will try my best.:cool:

Cyberman

toobig1 said:
I can only use c++,and I have Visual Studio 7.0.
Thank you for your suggestion,but first I must learn French.
Anyhow ,I'd like to do anything for my emu,I will try my best.:cool:
Parlez lantenment' si vous pleaz

You mean Everything?

Well a bit more you have a 3d unit on the Saturn it looks like (VDU). As for details of it's operation uhh don't have that (grin).

From what I've heard the most difficult part of emulating the Saturn has been the mutliple CPU's.

Cyb

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Intresting... .net
There's no many authors who use that...
But again, may i ask how long you've used it?

OP
toobig1

toobig1

Two years only.But I have been making great effert on learning
it. I wish that you can give me some useful information.

Slougi

Cyberman said:
From what I've heard the most difficult part of emulating the Saturn has been the mutliple CPU's.

Cyb
I have heard that too, syncing is supposedly a huge problem as they don't run perfectly in sync even on the saturn itself.

tbag

No problems just keep me upto date on the project oh and send me a Sega Saturn CD as i dont have one :(

OP
toobig1

toobig1

SH7604,It's of too many registers,it seems much more difficult than i supposed to emulate it.

Cyberman

toobig1 said:
SH7604,It's of too many registers,it seems much more difficult than i supposed to emulate it.
That's just an SH-2 without all the cool transformation stuff like the SH-4 (several generations later) which was in the Dream Cast (now dead cast). It has 16 bit opcodes so decoding them shouldn't be too bad at least. :)

The fun stuff happens when you want to try something new.
My Suggestion is first go through the opcodes and look for a pattern to the decoding (always there is one). Then after this you take the major opcode IDS IE Add rx,ry might decode to
This opcode is say ADD R0,R1
Code:
ADD    R0    R1
000100 00000 00001
If you know the size of R0 and R1 you add them and place the result in R0 in your code. However instead of having 65536 lines of switch statements, this one will roll 1024 possible lines into one because.

Code:
case SH2_ADD:
   DST = OPC_DEST(Code);
   SRC = OPC_SRC(Code);
   REG.R[DST] += REG.R[SRC];
   break;
if for example there are signed and unsigned adds then you might also want to make UR[] and IR[] in a union so they overlay each other as well :)

Anyhow.. the number of registers shouldn't be the problem it's the number of possible opcodes that will be the real problem. AMD's new hammer processor has 16 General purpose 64bit registers. The 68000 had 16 16 bit registers and 16 32 bit.. trust me lots of registers is a NON issue. Opcodes is the fun stuff.

Cyb