What's new

Game Genie Codes and other emulators

`Rafiki

Hi!

I'm a new user on the board, and a new user of Jnes, and I have to say this program is wonderful!

I have one question though: See, I'm a previous user of a DOS based, well known emulator, and that emulator supported Game Genie codes, which it wrote to Patch Files in a patch directory. These patch files opened with a standard text editor and could be viewed as text files. When I started using Jnes, I selected a few of the roms of which I have Game Genie codes, and copy/pasted them into the newly created Jnes file folder. When I opened the Game Genie code screen, it had the codes and descriptions already inputted! Even after changing the patch folder name (in case Jnes was somehow reading the file path) the codes were still showing. My question then is how that's possible, do the Game Genie codes write into the rom itself? Thanks a lot for your time, all. :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I think they probably write into the registery which is the most case of windows apps. Or just outputting it into a file in its own directory. I believe the first one, though.

OP
R

`Rafiki

Thanks for the reply...I saw though that JNes does come with a list of cheats (it just so happens that some games are listed with the same exact name as my roms and some aren't). I got to a point with JNes though where whenever I entered GG codes, they'd disappear when I'd resume the emulation. This was fixed only by replacing the .cht file with a new one, but that gets rid of all the GG codes I'd entered previously. How do I fix the problem without having to reenter all the GG codes again?

OP
R

`Rafiki

Oh hey thanks a lot for the help, Gentleman. Actually I'm on Windows ME, but maybe this will help me as well. What exactly is the limit on? The filesize of the .cht file, or the number of lines, or the number of codes, or something else? Thanks again! :D

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
Well it already tells you in Jnes under
Help/Contents/Using Jnes/Cheats

There are limitations as well, as you can tell there is a limit of 128 codes per game, and under Win9x it limits ini files to 64kb of text apparently.

OP
R

`Rafiki

128 codes? Great scott! Hey thanks a lot for your help, I'll look into that reference you stated too.

Last edited: