What's new

Windowed mode vs Full Screen?

Mac_nz

Hey guys,
I was wondering if you can help. I've been reading in the forums that games run faster on full screen mode, well I seem to be getting the opposite. For example, Zelda 2 will run at about 50 fps @ 1280x960 windowed mode, but when I switch to 1280x960 full screen mode, FRAPS(a fps counter) reports only around 20. Why is this, anybody know how I can tweak my sttings? I am using pretty much the default settings, and I have v-sync off. My specs are:

AMD 1800, 512 DDR ram, G3 Ti 2

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers guys.

OP
M

Mac_nz

Hey thanks guys. I just found out that FRAPS does not report the true fps when in full screen mode. I say this cause on a game of Mario Kart, I unchecked limit fps; and the game speed up immensely but Fraps only reported a minor increase. So problem solved, FRAPS doesn't work with PJ64! Cheers guys.

Fraps is reporting the real frames per second.PJ64's one is a fields per second counter...
easy answer but hey, I had a long time to post something in pj's forum so there...

supergamer

Banned
Some games at my pc are with 1964 running with 45 fps and are still very choppy. If you use frame skip the emulator reports an unreliable frame rate.

GuestX

supergamer....
you mean in pj64 ???
:nemu: 0.5a (i think, and older version) was supporting frameskip but pj64...?

supergamer

Banned
Frame skip in "1964" (NOT PJ64!):

Use ctrl+1 for couter factor 1, use ctrl+2 for counter factor 2. You can do this with 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 too! It will skip frames. The games will run more choppy but the sound is better. Try to make a good balance between speed and sound. See the difference!

schibo

Emulator Developer
That is not frameskip. That is changing the timing, which can affect the way threads work and the rate at which cyclic tasks are triggered. Changing the timing has different affects on different machines, depending on your speed.

Example:
On slower machines, if an audio thread has a much higher priority than the video thread, display lists (video) will be processed less frequently. On faster machines, (with the same CF setting), more display lists can be processed in that same amount of time.

While we're on this subject, that other messageboard thread where someone said something like "if a part of a game is choppy on the N64 it must be choppy on the PC"...that is incorrect because of timing.

If you want real frameskip, use one of ice's older opengl plugins. I don't know if his newer one still has that option.

Last edited:

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
schibo said:
While we're on this subject, that other messageboard thread where someone said something like "if a part of a game is choppy on the N64 it must choppy on the PC"...that is incorrect because of timing.

thankyou:)