What's new

Error- Not enough memory for rom

-K7-

Games that used to work at some point (Zelda, Zelda 2, and others) are all of a sudden getting a "Not enough memory for rom" error when I attempt to open them. Other games like Mario 64 work fine. I'm not sure, but I think it's only letting me play 64mbit roms.

I can't remember, but i think the error started when I upgraded (clean format) to XP Pro. I'm using 1.5b with all the default plugins and settings and the machine I'm using is an XP1800 with 256 megs of DDR, Sound Blaster Live, and Radeon 64DDR VIVO.
I am running WinXP Pro with service pack 1 and all my drivers are the most recent versions.

Please help; my N64 was stolen months ago so my options are limited. :(

RJA

The PC Wiz
Please check the *PAGEFILE* and all open processes

The pagefile and/or some open processes may be causing the memory error.

The pagefile *MUST* be at least 220 MB and you may need a
larger pagefile, and if that does not work, try as the last resort,
forcing Windows 98/Me compatibility mode.

I do wonder if PJ64 is technically made for Windows 98/Me
with Win32 code *NOT* completely Windows NT/2000/XP compatible????

If that's true, why did the PJ64 team make that oops?:happy:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
No.

This relates to rom loading and was fixed in v1.5.

P.S stop visiting Arcade@Home (i'm guessing you came from there), try Emulation64.com, it's run by people who care (aaaah!)

Last edited:
OP
K

-K7-

Running in compatibility mode for 98/me fixed the problem. Also, apparently the problem was only happening with roms that were larger than 16mb.
Thank goodness this fixed the problem.

Speaking of fixing problems, are there any N64 emulators still in development or have noobs, llamas, and hackers pretty much scared off everyone who's tried? I don't know who still updates and who's thrown in the towel.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Re: Please check the *PAGEFILE* and all open processes

RJA said:
The pagefile and/or some open processes may be causing the memory error.

The pagefile *MUST* be at least 220 MB and you may need a
larger pagefile, and if that does not work, try as the last resort,
forcing Windows 98/Me compatibility mode.

I do wonder if PJ64 is technically made for Windows 98/Me
with Win32 code *NOT* completely Windows NT/2000/XP compatible????

If that's true, why did the PJ64 team make that oops?:happy:

ROFLMFAO..

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
-K7- said:
Running in compatibility mode for 98/me fixed the problem. Also, apparently the problem was only happening with roms that were larger than 16mb.
Thank goodness this fixed the problem.

Speaking of fixing problems, are there any N64 emulators still in development or have noobs, llamas, and hackers pretty much scared off everyone who's tried? I don't know who still updates and who's thrown in the towel.
Afaik, no emulator but pj has stopped its development due to their authors have thrown the towel. :innocent:

RJA

The PC Wiz
...Then why are people still getting that memory error?

Yep, blame it on the Radeon. LOL:happy:

OP
K

-K7-

I thought that Nemu was basically kaput also, at least that's how I interpretted the post. I didn't remember about TR64 and 1964 until after I posted also.

Did the PJ64 team hand the code off to any other parties to hopefully continue work? It would be a sad loss to see whatever innovations the emu had not get improved upon. These guys just came out of nowhere with a new and really well done emu; it will be a nice surprise when the new Nemu comes out at some point though.

As a finishing note, just so you know this last post isn't a gooey hunk of spam, I'm wondering if there's any way to set the frame limit to 50 rather than 60. Sound seems to be at lower priority than video I suppose, so whenever fps drops below 59 the popping and skipping comes back. Until I get a 9700 or ti4600(one day), I'm wondering if there's a way to fix this. Regardless of video quality, if i could just get rid of that popping the gameplay would be wonderful.