What's new

Virtua Racing 32x .... 1st real 3d console racing game?

UltraThing

I've been enjoying "Virtua Racing 32x" quite a bit the last few days ... it's a fantastic racing game and though graphically sparse in many ways it's just as good as any current racing game on modern consoles ... and better than some. It's amazing to me that this game was available during the Genesis/SNES generation and I'm wondering if it was the first true 3D racing game released on a home console...anybody?

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
I don't know how old is it, but I also remember Wacky Wheels (or whatever game was it that had cars with eyes) on the SNES, and it had true 3D gfx, at least as far as the FX chip got.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
DuDe: The genesis too had a special chip that could generate polygons (also looked much like the superfx's output).

I love virtua racing. The game that got me into the genre. Music is perfect, graphics are fluid. :inlove:

Flash

Technomage
cooliscool said:
DuDe: The genesis too had a special chip that could generate polygons (also looked much like the superfx's output).

That piece of Silicon named SVP - Sega Virtua Processor. And there's no info about it. That's why this game is unemulated.

OP
UltraThing

UltraThing

Flash ... I think youre talking about the arcade version ... the one I've been playing is the 32x addon version for Genesis .... and it's emulated perfectly in Gens.

It is polygon based 3D and not the SNES quasi-3D Mode7 .... like I was saying very impressive for the SNES/Genesis generation.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
UltraThing said:
Flash ... I think youre talking about the arcade version ... the one I've been playing is the 32x addon version for Genesis .... and it's emulated perfectly in Gens.

It is polygon based 3D and not the SNES quasi-3D Mode7 .... like I was saying very impressive for the SNES/Genesis generation.

Virtua racing is on the genesis too (without the 32X addon). He means the chip that was used in the genesis version isn't emulated. :)

OP
UltraThing

UltraThing

oops. well, sorry Flash. What I don't get though, is if the "SVP" isn't being emulated, then how is Gens playing this game? The instructions for generating the polygons are getting emulated somehow, and with the same (?) output in the end. Is the game I'm looking at just an approximation of the SVP's real output?

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
UltraThing said:
oops. well, sorry Flash. What I don't get though, is if the "SVP" isn't being emulated, then how is Gens playing this game? The instructions for generating the polygons are getting emulated somehow, and with the same (?) output in the end. Is the game I'm looking at just an approximation of the SVP's real output?

:sleepy:

You're playing the 32X version. The SVP chip is used by the genesis version. The 32X uses a whole different graphics synthesizer, which is documented, and therefore, can be emulated.

2fast4u

DuDe said:
also remember Wacky Wheels (or whatever game was it that had cars with eyes) on the SNES, and it had true 3D gfx, at least as far as the FX chip got.

what u mean is stunt race fx :) whacky wheels was a pure 2d mario kart style game on the pc in the early 90s or so