What's new

PJ64 performance?

Rimmer

"Know you enemy"
What does PJ64 and emulators in general require most to run good?
A good graphics card
A fast CPU
Lots of memory

In other words what combination is the most efficient when speaking of money/performance rating.

And another question: What kind of computer would I need to get Perfect Dark to run at full speed with these settings?
640x480 32-bit
16x Anisotropic Filtering

And yet another question: Is adjusting counter factor the same as adjusting frameskipping (it behaves like that on my computer, runs fast but not smoothly with a higher counter factor)? And if that´s so is counter factor 1 the same as no frameskipping (which I think counter factor 2 is)?

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Hmm I'd say to get good fps you will need:

1.2Ghz Processor
A geforce2Ti or Geforce3
256Mbytes of Ram
Lots of Harddisk Space for swaping
Microsoft Windows 2000/XP

To your second question:

I don't think there is a 16xAnisotropic option, cause the max I get is 8x but I could be wrong.

but to get to run Perfect Dark at 640x480 at 8xanisotropic Filtuering at Full Speed you will need a good cpu (Probably Athlon 1.3Ghz+) and a good Graphics Card (Geforce 3 or Readon 8500) and 256MB of ram

To your last Question:
Counter Factor changes the timing of the emluators Core so a higher Counter Factor means some games will be faster. The disadvantages are that sometimes at higher Counter Factor settings games filkers or maybe unstable.

Edit: Higher Counter Factor also means there will be frame loss. (I think its similar to Frame Skip)

Last edited:
OP
Rimmer

Rimmer

"Know you enemy"
I don't think there is a 16xAnisotropic option, cause the max I get is 8x but I could be wrong.
I can choose that option

but to get to run Perfect Dark at 640x480 at 8xanisotropic Filtuering at Full Speed you will need a good cpu (Probably Athlon 1.3Ghz+) and a good Graphics Card (Geforce 3 or Readon 8500) and 256MB of ram
I can only get the game to run good with maximum 2 players using these settings:

640x480-16bit
No Anisotropic filtering

Rom settings:
Recomplier
Check memory advance
8mb
on
16kbit eeprom

And these are my system specs:
AMD XP1700+ (1,57GHz, 143MHz fsb)
256MB DDR 266MHz
POV Radeon9000 64MB DDR
ASUS A7V333
WD 80GB 7200rpm
6000 3Dmarks

Shouldn´t I be able to get a better performance

ra5555

N64 Newbie
yea you should, your system is a fairly new one... donno maybe its your drivers for readon... have you tried to update them?

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
Re: Re: PJ64 performance?

ra5555 said:

It's possible with the new Radeons like the 9000, 9500, and 9700.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
it's possible with the 8x00 series also#

Perfect Dark may well be slow with 3/4 players, we never really tested 2 player games even :)

RJA

The PC Wiz
Well, these settings don't work badly, even with my Athlon T-bird 900 mhz

ROM Settings:

Advanced Block Linking: On (audio stutters more when off)
(I also noticed when ABL is on, the some events occur more quickly i.e., the enemies spot an attack faster)

Counter Factor: 2 (With counter factor 3, the gun will fire slower)

Self Modifying Code Handling Method: Protect Memory

I may try "Check Memory Advance", which is introduced with
PJ64 1.5, but causes Goldeneye 007 to lock up crash, with
no unhandled R3400i opcode errors and/or EXL set address defined errors and just freezes.

Last edited:

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Perfect Dark is a game that needs high system requirments, even with my processor I have a little speed problems with it, it requires high processing power because a friend of mine has a 2,0 Ghz processor and he doesn't have problems with it.

OP
Rimmer

Rimmer

"Know you enemy"
yea you should, your system is a fairly new one... donno maybe its your drivers for readon... have you tried to update them?

Yea I´ve got the latest.

Perfect Dark may well be slow with 3/4 players, we never really tested 2 player games even

Maybe I should mention that when we play 3 players we also have at least 3 simulants in the game too (when playing 2 players the game only have minor slowdowns even with 6 simulants). Don´t know when the game starts to crack up with the console but playing like this should be near the limit right?

Bill Fleming

Perfect Dark seems too run fime on my PC with 2 players and max CPU :D
P.S. I know DELL stinks.(i have got messed up computers from them before, but this one works great)

:pj64: