What's new

How slow is 1964 loading/saving state?

Rice

Emulator Developer
A few guys are mentioning 1964 is quite slow to load or save state, I just like to know how slow it is, like 2 seconds, 3 second, 5 second, or 10 seconds?

Acorn

Avg 3 secs here, plus a few secs to get back up to full speed. I wouldn't call that slow though.

Glurak

about 4 seconds I'd say I think that's pretty fast the saves are quite large... but maybe you should add an option to optionally disable savestate compression I guess that would make it faster...

Tesla-Guy

I got a 7200rps HDD with super drivers and a PIII 800MHz(it's Hi-Grade pc so it's standard to be fast). First time i load state i load in 0.6 - 1.0 secs all other times i load in 0.001secs

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
usually not very long 3-5secs.
y u ask, u hav a better method for saving/loading?

oh, and is it just me, or saving and loading states dont work in GE? and yes i got a good rom ((U)[!])

Acorn

I save/load in GE all the time. Is it just at a certain point in the game that it won't work? I.E. can it save in the menus?

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
i save ingame (ie just before bottling room), when i load it, it freezes(well, just 1964). maybe becuz i use winxp?

Gamer123

Xbox Addict
It takes like a minute or two to load a save state. It spends a lot of time saying (pausing 1964), and then it takes like 20 seconds to actually load the state. PJ64 goes at 20 seconds.

Acorn

Nope, its not WinXP! It does it in 98 also!

I just tried save-stating in GE for the first time in 1964. It will crash at any point you try to save/load in. Does anyone else have/not have this?

Use PJ64 for GE, the savestating works ok in it. I'm not downplaying 1964 there either! :)

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
but GE is slow with PJ64, unless u hav 1.4beta2 with latest updates.

maybe this is due to the GE hack that Rice used in 1964?

hotshitu

Banned
Acorn said:
Avg 3 secs here, plus a few secs to get back up to full speed. I wouldn't call that slow though.

About the same here.

There's also something funny I've noticed regarding the VI/s limitation. In Banjo Kazooie with Old Azimer's plugin and Audio sync off I get something like 150 VI/s in certain areas of Click Clock Wood, accompanied by extreme jerkiness. (I got a state if needed). Turning Audio sync on completely fixes this however.

0.001 sec - yeah, right :)

Acorn

For me, GE runs super-fast in 1964, even with the CF set low.

Runs about perfect in PJ1.3, but thats going to depend on your specs, mainly CPU.

Dunno what ta tell ya, use 1964 and play the game for real? lol =))

Eliminator

The Eliminator
For me in perfect dark it takes around 1 second to load state in a level and every other time after that it takes like a split second. I have a 30GB 7200RPM Hard disk and 133MHZ SDRAM....would probably be a bit faster if I had 266MHZ DDRAM.

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
Gamer123 said:
It takes like a minute or two to load a save state. It spends a lot of time saying (pausing 1964), and then it takes like 20 seconds to actually load the state. PJ64 goes at 20 seconds.

ya, reason is that 1964 has to wait the game completely paused before it can go ahead to load the zipped file. Of course I can do better here, but I probably will not worry about it too much if it is for only a very few people.

zorbid

Eliminator said:
For me in perfect dark it takes around 1 second to load state in a level and every other time after that it takes like a split second. I have a 30GB 7200RPM Hard disk and 133MHZ SDRAM....would probably be a bit faster if I had 266MHZ DDRAM.

I tested Banjo &Kazooie, Paper Mario and ZeldaMM. The state loads in less than 1 sec for them all. My HD is ATA 33 and my ram(512MB) runs @ 100Mhz...