What's new

Hey smiff, somebody, Heeeelp me

Oravla

Hey i need help, my computer still freezing, i upgrade my drivers for the video card, i install direct x 8.1 in my computer.

Games like Mario 64, Mischief Makers, Evangelion run normally, doesn´t freeze my computer, the problem is with the following games:

Pokemon Stadium 2
Legend of Zelda MoM[E]
Legend of Zelda MoM
Pilotwings 64

Here is what happens, I load a game then I start playing as normal. However, after maybe 5 minutes or less, the emulator freeze my computer.

All the games are good roms, i scan it in the GoodN64.

I don´t know what happen, i need somebody help me plz.

My spec:

KM133A Socket A (AMD Athlon/Duron CPU's) with AGP integrated
AMD Duron 850 Mhz Processor
128 MB PC 133 Non ECC SDRAM
30GB Ultra DMA hard drive
Millennium Edition.

I prove the pJ64, in anothers computers (same series) most powerfuls, and happen the same thing.

With other plugins (no Jabo3d3) don´t happen this.

Sorry about my english, is very, very poor.

Thanks

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yeah it's your graphics "card". Try not using "change blending mode..."

It's not PJ64 though, you need to go back to the people who made your computer and ask for one that works.

Moonlight

Jabo's D3D plugin is highly biased towards nVidia's GeForce series with ATI's Radeon as a secondary concern and everything else being in the "don't care" category.

So, those who have anything other than GF can expect problems with Jabo's D3D.

In my case, I get some extra graphics glitches but no stability problems with my ATI R128 card.

(the kinds of problems I get : opaque should-be-transparent surfaces, missing/black/white/oddly-blended polygons, invisible menus in Conker's BFD, possibly due to blending errors - nothing show-stopping when you already played the games on the real thing and know your way around a bit, no stability problems.)

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Moonlight said:
Jabo's D3D plugin is highly biased towards nVidia's GeForce series with ATI's Radeon as a secondary concern and everything else being in the "don't care" category.

So, those who have anything other than GF can expect problems with Jabo's D3D.

In my case, I get some extra graphics glitches but no stability problems with my ATI R128 card.

(the kinds of problems I get : opaque should-be-transparent surfaces, missing/black/white/oddly-blended polygons, invisible menus in Conker's BFD, possibly due to blending errors - nothing show-stopping when you already played the games on the real thing and know your way around a bit, no stability problems.)

bollox, most cards are just shit. If the card/drivers are so bad that it locks up the PC during some operations, what can I say, it's really really shit. Those cards are in fact so shit they should be taken out of your PC and replaced with something not shit, or kept for things they are suitable for like word processing. If PJ is "biased" towards ATI and nVidia, its because they are just about the only cards on the market that are not shit. The reason Jabo has never improved support for other cards is that they are (wait for it)... shit.

Hmm, that's such a good answer I think it needs to go in the FAQ.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
BTW (cos I want to be absolutely clear on this), I also used to think that the plugin was biased towards nVidia/ATI, but after months of reseach (not quite, but we've taken a good long hard look) we have come to the conclusion that most other cards are shit.

:colgate:

Q: What do you call a 3d graphics card that isn't very good at drawing 3d graphics?
A: Shit!

OP
Oravla

Oravla

Hey smiff, this video card never give me a problem, with another program, game o app that run with direct3d. others plugins with 3d emulation for N64 runs fine in my computer, some games load perfect in the PJ64 in this computer, and the games with problem load, i play and then crashed, i don´t know why?, the fps is normal, don´t run slow.

I prove the jabo3d plugin in all the N64 emulators, and always crashed. start fine, five minutes later crash.

plz i need another solution, i don´t want change the video card at least for now. Hey maybe a memory problem?.

Thanks

Smiff

Emutalk Member
no other plugin crashes your PC probably cos no other plugin is actually emulating half the stuff.... hmm?

Slougi

I have the same chipset, it has a built-in Savage 4 which sucks. I rrecently bought a Nvidia Geforce 2 MX card and all problems where solved and my memory benchmarks went up by 150 MB/sec ;)

sk8bloke22

roll for life
seriously, nvidia and NEW ATI cards are the only thing for n64 emulation. its just the way it is. theres always gonna be limitations. considering most ppl hav some form of NVIDIA card, its quite reasonable that the emu is biased towards that. i remeber the days when u needed a voodoo card to play n64 games on ur pc, even the wrappers werent good enuff (still arent really).

i bet u could find a gf2mx or old gf1 or radeon LE for VERY cheap. im talking about $50, or just a bit more than ur average game, plus it would lengthen the life of ur pc by quite a lot.

Moonlight

I have one problem with calling everything non-nVidia "shit" because it cannot pass the PJ test : most of that shit is able to run almost everything else near-perfect.

Even if Jabo had all the hardware to test his plugins on, he'd probably go insane long before being done with that and I suspect that's why he's putting his efforts towards GF.

(and this is where my "bias" thing came from.)

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Moonlight said:
I have one problem with calling everything non-nVidia "shit" because it cannot pass the PJ test : most of that shit is able to run almost everything else near-perfect.

Even if Jabo had all the hardware to test his plugins on, he'd probably go insane long before being done with that and I suspect that's why he's putting his efforts towards GF.

(and this is where my "bias" thing came from.)

No, Jabo couldn't do it on your Rage128, because... it's too shit!

I'm hoping if i keep this up eventually it will start to dawn on some people that many PC graphics cards are just not good enough to do good quality N64 emulation, they never were, they never will be. They are, in other words, too shit for the job. You can like or dislike nVidia, you can like or dislike what you currently have, you can like or dislike spending money on upgrades, but it won't change the facts one incy little bit.

Moonlight

Like or dislike, that wasn't the question.

Where did you read that I asked that Jabo makes R128 work?

I only said that even if he had time and hardware to make his plugin work with many video chips, he'd still run out of sanity before being done.

Plain translation : I don't expect him to make it work with anything else than what he's working on.

You [should] know better than most people around here that changing anything in your code can make or break stuff that worked or not previously. So, there's a chance that Jabo's 1.4 will fix stuff on "shit" cards even if Jabo never meant to.

Last edited:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
lol, still not getting it :) OK change of tack. Project64 also looks great on an ATI Radeon. Jabo doesn't have an ATI Radeon. So is it luck that it looks good? No, it's because the ATI Radeon also has a good feature set, or to put it the way I like... the Radeon is also not shit.

Let's make a little formula type thing:

Nice card ----> N64 games in an emulator look "nice"
Shit card ----> N64 games in an emulator look "shit"

That any clearer?

Slougi

[/spammodeon]
What you say! Me gfx card very well being. It name Matrox Millenium be. I it have 4 years now!
[/spammodeoff]

(All your base are belong to us)
;)

Smiff said:
lol, still not getting it :) OK change of tack. Project64 also looks great on an ATI Radeon. Jabo doesn't have an ATI Radeon. So is it luck that it looks good? No, it's because the ATI Radeon also has a good feature set, or to put it the way I like... the Radeon is also not shit.

Let's make a little formula type thing:

Nice card ----> N64 games in an emulator look "nice"
Shit card ----> N64 games in an emulator look "shit"

That any clearer?

its happened... he's got sarcastic and cynical... dont worry happens to the most paitient of us ;) helps get the point across too:devil:

Moonlight

Maybe Jabo just hasn't tapped too many of those obscure nVidia-introduced thingies ATI hasn't included in their Radeon drivers yet.
(or that ATI has added most of them not long ago)

The latest R128 drivers have fixed many of the major glitches I can remember. Yes, Link's wearing a white shirt, Conker's a bit defaced or face-less but at least bridges and scenery no longer disappear half the time.

So, many games are a lot more playable on R128 now than they were a few months ago. Doesn't fix the opaque water in the green switch level in Mario64 and the eel pond in Conker's though.

Up to the Mountain Temple (where I'm at in my current game), Majora's Mask looks pretty good most of the time.

So, since whatever change is made in the software has the potential to make or break cards, I hope Jabo's next D3D will make more stuff than it'll break beyond GF cards.
[_even if not intended to_]

BTW, will PJ1.4 be out before 2003?

Gouk

Shit Shiznit Shite Crap Poo Brownie

Hey there Smiff :alien:

You do have a strange obsession with the word 'shit' :devil: dont you.

Project64 is the shit :pj64: :D ;)