What's new

Mupen on Linux: Only working with a joypad?

Trillian

Hi folks,
first, let me say it's great to see there's a N64 emu for Linux available finally :)

However, I can't get it to work. Does Obsidian's input plugin only work with joypad? I only have a keyboard here, and whenever I'm trying to run Mupen with the "fire.bin" rom, all i get is a black window :(

Thanks in advance,
Trillian

Some info about my system:
Linux 2.4.19, glibc 2.2.5, gcc 3.2, SDL 1.2.5
and i'm running the binary Nvidia drivers.

Last edited:

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
The fire demo bug is because this release only work in pure interpreter, it's stated in the post on web site.

Obsidian's input plugin is only for keyboard but you can use the mupen64 input plugin for keyboard (i know the keys are not configurable, but i think a new plugin will be provided with the next release)

OP
T

Trillian

I guess you wanted to say Obsidian's plugin is only for joystick, right?

Is the mupen64 input plugin supposed to show up in the mupen64 dropdown list, too? I copied the .so from the binary distribution, but it doesn't show up. (tried with the binary of mupen64 you ship, too, didn't help).

Are the plugins coded in C++? Maybe there's some gcc 2 <-> gcc 3 ABI incompatibility causing this?

Alright, I chose the "interpreter" mode when loading the "fire" rom, but now I get the same behaviour when trying to load "zelda: Ocarina of Time".

What's this UCode thing about, anyway?

Last edited:

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
yes i wanted to say joystick.
try to run ldd -r name_of_plugin.so to know you are missing a library.

I have said "pure interpreter" not "interpreter", another problem is that you are using tr64 plugin for firedemo. Actually tr64 is better than mupen64 plugin for everything except for old 2d demos.

Basically the ucode is a gfx library used by the game to display gfx. So if u know a game is compatible and is not showing anything or make the emu crashing, try to switch ucodes.

OP
T

Trillian

Thanks for the explanation and that ldd hint, I didn't know that one.

However, I'm not getting any critical errors, as far as I can tell (the only errors are related to SDL, e.g.

undefined symbol: pthread_create (/usr/local/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0)
undefined symbol: pthread_cancel (/usr/local/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0)

Of course, I've got pthreads installed, so I think these errors can be ignored.

However, the mupen64 gfx and input plugins don't show up in the GUI. Should they?

Thanks for your patience

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Yes they should show up in GUI.
Could you say me if this error related to the SDL lib on happen on mupen64 plugins or if it happen for all plugins ?

OP
T

Trillian

The ldd error is showing up on mupen's input and gfx plugins and on the ported TR64 OpenGL plugin, but not on Obsidian's input plugin.

btw, aren't the mupen plugins released as OpenSource/GPL?

I'll try to find some SDL test app to see whether SDL is really working.
Alright, did some testing, SDL is working.

Last edited:

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
You can find the input plugin source code on this board with mupen64 0.0.4 source code. Check the archives it's an old thread. If u can get any result with it let me know ;)

OP
T

Trillian

Found it, it works. I still get the error when running ldd on it, but it's showing up in mupen64 :)

However, the fire demo still doesn't work. The last message I see on stdout is "demarrage r4300".

From reading other threads here, it seems the source for the TR64 GFX plugin isn't available? :(
I'd like to see if it's working when I compile it myself.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
It seems that mupen64 can't work coz i have compiled them a long time ago, i'll try to recompile them tomorrow and i'll ask you to test them for me...

TR64 seems to work on your system, but as i have said it can't play 2d demos like fire demo. It only supports 3d games.

Fritti

Already posted in the 'source available' thread but that's not high profile enough I guess: is there no source for a gfx plugin for linux? I'd like to compile it for FreeBSD, but I can't find any sources :(

No mupen for me yet...

--Fritti

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
i still have to ask icepir8 if i can distribute modified source code of his plugin, i always forgot it...

Anyway it seems that you can run the linux binaries on FreeBSD without any problem, here an extract of a mail sent by a FreeBSD user :

The code needs very little modification for the FreeBSD. Actually your
linux binary
runs directly on FreeBSD without any modification!!!
I ended up spent more time setting up FreeBSD DRI linux emulation than
porting the code.

Also tried your new release. Works great on FreeBSD.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Ok, please try these plugins i think i have find what causes this bug, but i can't be sure...

Fritti

Thanks, Hactarux. I know I'll probably be able to run the linux binaries but since this is a GPL emulator I thought I'd put in some effort to make it more portable. No point in doing so if I can't use the finished project though (although I'm willing to share my mods to make it compile on FreeBSD of course).

Unfortunately writing a new plugin is way over my head, so I guess I'll wait until icepir8 or someone else wants to share their source (porting is usually easier).

It's great to see the framework of an N64 emu actually compiling on FreeBSD BTW, I'm not in any way implying that mupen sucks or something! The situation will probably improve one time, and then I'll simply try again :)

Thanks again,

--Fritti