What's new

Need for Speed 6: Hot Pursuit 2

crhylove

Banned
Ok, i'm going 2 do a little mini review... i can get more detailed later if you want, including screen shots... (there's LOTS of eye candy in this game!), but i'm not sure (yet) how to take them... :)

That being said, drumroll please:

Need for Speed 3 was my favorite racer of all time. In fact, in genereal I don't enjoy driving games, but something about getting slammed around by cops and getting tickets and even the radar detector totally entrhalled me. The graphics were awesome, the gameplay rocked, and NFS3 is still on every computer I own, as it's multiplayer mode is so much fun over the LAN.

That being said, let me give my first impressions of the update to this game (which I've waited YEARS for). First off, it's one of the most beautiful games i've ever seen. Bar none. The skyboxes, tree models, tracks, environments, cars, helicopter, all of them look amazing. Want real time reflections in your shiny car? they're there. want per pixel shadows? check. want freeze frame slow mo pans every time you are (significantly) air borne? you bet your ass, it's in the game. The game is a triumph of computer technology in the graphics department, and the real kicker is:

Sound is every bit as good.

We're talking real time 3d acoustic modelling that puts you right in the game.

However, like the earlier hot pursuit title, you are going to need tomorrow's computer to turn all the eye candy up all the way. For instance: you HAVE to disable AA altogether. you read that right. with my specs, i could not get decent fps with any kind of AA on. not only that, you have to turn off some eye candy, and the choices for this in menu are pretty vague as to what you are in fact doing. basically, turn down the car detail and you can still play at 1024 on most levels.

Some would say the engine is inefficient, but honestly, run tenebrae (which has many similar features) and you get similar performance, and afaik, tenebrae is a pretty solid engine.

But eye candy is not the sole purpose of a game, is it?

The gameplay is also pretty darn good (once you get the gfx issues sorted out (in other words TURNED DOWN)). The dual analog stick setup that they recommend was configured automatically for me, and ran beautifully (out of box). the other drivers are ruthless. the cops are very difficult to elude. a helicopter starts bombing you. the game is HARD. and, imho, that makes the game FUN. I haven't tried it multiplayer yet, because the other machines on my LAN can't even come close to handling any decent frames with this game, and that is a major issue for testing the gameplay out. However, the single player game is imho the best racing game in the industry AGAIN.

This is just an early (i played it for about 12 hours yesterday) review, but i can honestly recommend that if you have today's latest hardware, you should buy this game.

somebody tell me how to make screenshots.... thnx!

rhy

flow``

flow``
i downloaded/hated the demo. maybe it ran to slow on this school pc but the steering with a keyboard was pitiful which killed the experience all together for me

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Yup, cars are drifting like a mofo. GFX are ok, but nothing special - no car damage, even though it was implemented already in good old NFS4. A generic racing game, nothing more.

Last edited:
OP
crhylove

crhylove

Banned
actually, there is car damage, but not in first person, i think this is a bug.... but *i've* seen car damage in that slow mo pan during a jump... so it is in fact there.

...yes there are many bugs that people are experiencing that hopefully will be addressed in a patch...

and as for keyboard controls, forget about it... you've GOTTA have some kind of analog input for this game. the sensitivity is key to gameplay.

and if your performance is low, go tweak down all the settings as much as possible. it is a major performance hog, but that's why it's so purdy.... :)

rhy

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Those aren't bugs. The PC version was developed by a different team than the PS2 version, and that's why the PS2 version is far superiour to the PC one.

Alucard

that's right, the only disadvantage of the PS2 version is the resolution.
btw: if u want to enjoy the best driving experience , you should play GranTurismo series

Josep

eyerun4phun
its an ok game...great for what seems to be mindless racing, but then again i didn't have the time to play it that long to find out;)

Macca

Some of the reviews are saying its not bad, but if you want a racing game go for Burnout or if you have a PS2 , Beurnout 2. That game rocks :)

OP
crhylove

crhylove

Banned
well, gran turismo is cool, i've played versions of that, never seen burnout (yet), but getting slammed off the road by cops in the middle of a race... man that's just the kind of thing that doesn't happen enough in cyber space imho.... :)

but yeah, as i said, it is a far from perfect title. it needs a patch badly. however it is the prettiest game i've played period.

rhy
rhy

2fast4u

ok, i got nfs6 today and all i can say is i am impressed by the graphics .. out of any question its insanely good.

on the con (ill start with this coz it takes up most of my space) side the track design is poor and there is too few variation (im sick of driving thru autumn forests) .. the far chase camera is almost unplayable coz the car handling is a bitch there (im playing 1st person now) .. theres no interior view .. the menu interface (especially car selection) sucks ..

on the pro side .. the feeling of speed is excellent, especially in 1st person view .. the ai is nicely aggressive for both cops and other drivers .. did i mention the gfx rules?

whats left to say? im disappointed but its still a damn nice game that ill play a long time .. and hot pursuit 1 remains the best nfs ever ;)

/updated favorite game

Jaz

Ex-Mod
You just gotta' love the oh-so-original title, haven't you?! ;)

It was bad enough when they used the whole `:sub title for game here`, but now putting numbers in that too?! What is this world coming to?!

OK, my rant is over. ;)

2fast4u

Jaz said:
You just gotta' love the oh-so-original title, haven't you?! ;)

It was bad enough when they used the whole `:sub title for game here`, but now putting numbers in that too?! What is this world coming to?!

OK, my rant is over. ;)

feeling happy? ;)

Mingo3k

Mingspeed!
hmmm

i love the ps2 version
dont ever wanna try it on my laptop, i KNOW it wont work lol
i think its crappy your name isnt on the number plate...

*wanted to see Mingo3k on his HSV GTS Coupe*
(the aussie version had the ford v holden thing, dunno if everyone elses does but i know ours did)