What's new

PJ64 is crasing now that I have burned my roms to a cd

Code11

About 2 weeks ago I got a cd-rw drive, and decided to burn all of my roms to a cd-rw. I didn't play pj64 again untill now (except for like a 30 sec test). Here is what happens, I load a rom (ex. Super Smash Brothers), then I start playing as normal. However, after maybe 5 minutes (not sure exactly), the emulator just closes. Here are my settings.

-Full screen
-Drect3D HAL
-Res 640x480x32
-Triple Buffered checked
-Internal Transforms (I have also tried external, and I get the same problem).
-Fog checked
-uses 32-bit .... checked
-Nothing in the advanced box selected

My stats are
600mhz Athlon
512 megs ram
10 gig hardrive
48x cd-rom drive
Geforce 3
Soundblaster Audigy X-Gamer

What do you think the problem is?

BTW, great job with :pj64:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
don't mean to be _whatever_, but does this still happen if you copy a ROM to your HDD and run from there?

bodie

i have all my roms on cd-r and everything that should work does .. maybe been corrupted in the burning process .. for whatever software/hardware reason
bodie

Moonlight

Maybe one of the directory options now points to a directory that no longer exists...

(move ROMs to CD, delete the ROM directory from HDD, directory no longer exists, PJ screws up - just a theory)

I have run ROMs off CD and had no problems.

bodie

Maybe one of the directory options now points to a directory that no longer exists...
no that's not a possibility.. he mentioned that they played for 5 minutes before the emulator closes ... the only time that happened to me is when i went a little mad on the overclocking .. not saying that's it ,because it's not ....like smiff said copy the offending rom/roms back to your HD and play .. if they once again fail then it's more than likely been the burning process .. it certainly is not a fault of the emu or having roms contained on cd-r . because that is the way the majority do it ..
bodie

OP
C

Code11

Thanks for your help. Actually, it seems to be the triple buffer thing. When I turned it off, I was able to play Smash Brothers all the way though, and I just played Zelda 1 for about an hour. So, it seems to work fine now.

Moonlight

I don't quite see how triple buffering affects ROMs loaded from CDROM but then again, not everything in life makes sense.

I do remember triple buffering giving me problems in the past though. I used to think it was a non-nVidia-only problem, I was apparently wrong.