What's new

Glide3x again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

l@g

Hi!, I`m back. Finally, I can correct a stupid "red shadows" bug in my glide3x dll, and some speed is added too. Enjoy it.

(Aclaration: is NOT a wrapper, is for 3dfx users). Glide2x Fast is coming... :)

*Attachment removed due to being fake*

Last edited by a moderator:

iq_132

Banned
l@g said:
Hi!, I`m back. Finally, I can correct a stupid "red shadows" bug in my glide3x dll, and some speed is added too. Enjoy it.

(Aclaration: is NOT a wrapper, is for 3dfx users). Glide2x Fast is coming... :)

Some source code would be nice... :thumbsup:

Stezo2k

S-2K
anyways, on the subject of Glide, why is it so fast compared to DX and openGL? And why doesnt Nvidia use it cuz of them owning 3dfx?

Stez

Cyberman

Stezo2k said:
anyways, on the subject of Glide, why is it so fast compared to DX and openGL? And why doesnt Nvidia use it cuz of them owning 3dfx?

Stez
Glide is a proprietary API used for 3dFX hardware. I think it had more efficient texture handling or something like that. Glide isn't necessarily faster either for that matter. It is dead because NVidia bought up 3dFX to kill what was left of there competition :)

As for WHY well it's proprietary and has a learning curve.. this means that someone has to write something for GLIDE differently than for say OGL or DirectX .. point is it was killer having 2 standard API's and one proprietary one for only one card manufacturer.

Cyb

Stezo2k

S-2K
thanx for the info m8 :) i might get my old voodoo 2 out my loft and start using it again for Glide64 :) heh it'll be like '99 when i used to use ultraHLE non stop :)

Stez

Cyberman

The Khan Artist said:
IIRC, Glide is a subset of OpenGL.

Err that's why they distribute that nifty 3dfxOGL.dll that has Glide3x.dll as a dependancy? I must be confused by this ;)

No it's not an OGL subset 3dfxOGL.dll supports a subset of OGL however that's called 'miniGL' ask Pete Bernadete about this.. :) It's not very compatible and they do nasty things with Textures (that are kind of silly such as convert a texture to floating point then convert it for glide and send it to glide in the same format it was assumed that people would only load textures rarely.. which is not the case with the PSX :) ).

Anyhow Not a big deal I suppose someone daring could try and write a new 3dfxOGL.dll to give 3dFX OGL 1.2 support (instead of lame 1.1).

Though it might be a lot faster to just skip supporting glide and use those Glide Drivers as a template for a direct OGL plugin for 3dFX hardware.. at the moment I'll stick with SIMPLE stuff :)

Cyb

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Cyberman said:
The Khan Artist said:
Anyhow Not a big deal I suppose someone daring could try and write a new 3dfxOGL.dll to give 3dFX OGL 1.2 support (instead of lame 1.1).

MesaFX. McLeod says it's a project to give Voodoo cards OpenGL 1.4 support (although slow). I haven't been able ot find a page for it.

Cyberman

The Khan Artist said:
Cyberman said:
The Khan Artist said:

MesaFX. McLeod says it's a project to give Voodoo cards OpenGL 1.4 support (although slow). I haven't been able ot find a page for it.

You mean MesaGL to 3dFX? I don't think it's done anything for 3 or more years.. not since Nvidia came out with the GeeForce series at least :)

As for MesaGL it's has source for all the OGL functions and GLUT support.. did some experimenting with GL last night.. it's not too shabby. GL is good for HLE graphic support .. this is because the N64 Dev libaries are OGL :)

I will have to look for MesaGL 3dfx.. I think that project is dead to be honest.. I've only found one MesaGL library for 3dFX and the thing is how do you install it as your GL library.. registry mucking?

It's pretty darn old too.. oh well :)

Cyb

Cyberman

It's actually called FX Mesa it's a derivative of Mesa GL not much has been done on documentation however you can get all there is from
MESA3d ORG if you want.. As I said its MESA GL that is the toy.. for compiling it under a windows machine it doesn't look too good.. it requires Glide too however it is a significant improvement over 3dfxOGL.DLL considering Mesa GL is 1.4 complient. It might require some changes for supporting Glide3.. The last dated file in the archive I have for Mesa4.04 (latest) Oct 3 2002 is 9/17/2002 I don't see any information on what was changed likely just to get it to work is what the changes were. So there it is.. try the mesa home page and download the source to get fxMesa :)

Oh yeah Mesa GL Source in ZIP that should do it!

Cyb

milen

What compiler do you use to compile under windows. I lost my vc6.0 somewhere is it possible to compile it with cbuilder5

Gideon007

I don't mean to jump into something here but it seems like these so called files from l@g are just rip offs from others work. This glide3x seems to be a slightly altered (mostly the company name and version number) file from Koolsmokey's glide3x_3_10_00_2605. Unfortunately his site is down but I'm sure this file can be found somewhere...
My suggestion for any moderator is to take a long hard look and block this guy from ripping off more people...

Status
Not open for further replies.