What's new

memory size

kwigz

:pj64: what is the ideal memory size for running roms such as perfect dark and indiana jones? i have 512k memory but it doesn't seem to be able to cope.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
LOL. 512k is simply not enough. ;) I know you mean 512mb but really you should check that stuff. Perfect dark needs it on 8mb and indiana jones is unsupported.

M

mann

512k of memory? wow....thats a lot....although my apple back in the day...had 1mb...lol.... 512mb on the other hand is more than enough needed to play games like those...

btw--- good job jeremy...1000 posts....

OP
kwigz

kwigz

:stupid: true i did mean 512mb of memory, but it still doesn't make any difference. indiana jones still won't work.

it seems the larger the rom the less likely it is to run. i'm pretty new to all of this, so any info on making roms run smoother (no matter how insignificant it seems) please let me know.

M

mann

i dont think the size of the rom matters, but the game probaly isnt supported that why it wont run, a lot of games are unsupported...even some of the older ones..

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
Stezo2k said:
there isnt such thing as a N64 Bios, or are ya being sarcastic ;)

Acually, there is a BIOS... but why do we need it? Here is a List of Functions it does... Too big for a Post but... here it is

Eagle

aka Alshain
Guys as long as you have 64 to 128 mb of memory, memory is not an issue with PJ64. This is probably the most common sentence I type in this forum, Memory/Graphics card has extremely little effect on the speed of your game. Its a processor problem. You need a fast processor to run PD. And Indiana isnt supported.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Eagle said:
Guys as long as you have 64 to 128 mb of memory, memory is not an issue with PJ64. This is probably the most common sentence I type in this forum, Memory/Graphics card has extremely little effect on the speed of your game. Its a processor problem. You need a fast processor to run PD. And Indiana isnt supported.

You forgot again.. integrated graphics cards? Getting a geforce to upgrade from an integrated imprves speed like, alot. :)

RJA

The PC Wiz
Huh?

Doomulation, the RAM does *not* have to do with the processor running at full speed or not.

However, if you disable the processor L1 cache, it will run
SLOWER.

The RAM does *not* control the frequencies and/or affect the L1
cache.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Then try, RJA.
I've experienced it myself.
Using the celeron 830 MHz computer, I tried to run Nemu, at lesser RAM and with a little more...what was the result? It ran faster with more ram, of course... :plain2:

I also had an old 300 MHz coputer with 32 mb ram...and one 400 MHz computer with 64 mb ram...
It wouldn't be much performance gain, right? Yet, the one with 64 mb ram ran much faster and didn't crash as easy as the one with 32... :plain2:

Satisfied? Ram DOES matter.

Stezo2k

S-2K
yeah, BTW my local PC hardware store is selling SD ram 1/2 the price that it was 2 months ago :)

that probably means that SD has gone down a lot, so stock up your ram while u can (nice ryme :) )

Stez

OP
kwigz

kwigz

:pj64: thanks to all who replied but i'm still having problems. When i go to load a rom over (roughly) 13mb i get an error reading saying:- not enough memory for rom.

here are my specs:

2.5 GHz pentium 4 processor

512 mb ddr-ram

ati radeon 7500le 64mb graphics card

ultra ata 80gb hard disk

whats up with that?