What's new

SSF in Windows XP

Xzyx987X

Hey, ever since I upgraded to windows xp I haven't been able to get ssf running. It doesn't even give me an error message or something, it just hangs. I'm almost positive this problem is directly related to installing xp because it worked fine before I did, but does anyone have a clue what I can do about it? Oh yea, and does anyone have a clue about what happened to SSF or Giri Giri's websites?

Jupiter

Just a Jupi.
XP doesn't use the ASPI layers required by, oh, 99.998% of all CD-based emulators and other programs. i was advised to download the needed app extensions, and did so a number of times, and have yet to get any of said programs to work. everything was installed properly, it just didn't do anything. about all you can do is downgrade to Win9x or hope for something XP compatible.

flow``

flow``
just install nero and copy the WNASPI32.dll to your /system32 dir

saturn.emulation64.com -> emulator ->help/faq for help..

Jupiter

Just a Jupi.
here's the thing - i already have wnaspi32.dll, says it's been installed properly, yet it's not doing anything at all.

Jupiter

Just a Jupi.
sadly, my CD drive has no drivers that i can find =\
none came with it, and none are available on Toshiba's website.
for shits and giggles, i tried installing the latest ASPI drivers, and still have no luck. everything is as it should be, but my CD drive just doesn't like to be recognized by almost every one of these programs i throw at it -_-
the error window that pops up each time (with the programs that bother to do so at all) always mentions a lack of wnaspi32.dll, which is right there in system32. should it be somewhere else?

2fast4u

Jupiter said:

the error window that pops up each time (with the programs that bother to do so at all) always mentions a lack of wnaspi32.dll, which is right there in system32. should it be somewhere else?

try putting the file in your corresponding ssf folder

Jupiter

Just a Jupi.
now here's something interesting... i went poking around a bit to find out who else has had this problem with installing an ASPI layer, and found that for whatever reason, the ASPI installers have tried to configure everything for 64-bit XP on my system o_o

everything is back in working order now though. i feel terribly ignorant =X

OP
Xzyx987X

Xzyx987X

Well, none of you're suggestions seemed to work for me... I know lack of aspi drivers is what the most common problem for running saturn emus is, but I don't think that's the problem for me because satourne seems to work fine and that takes aspi drivers too right? I also checked to make sure my SSF ini file wasn't misconfigured and my bios file was ok, but I didn't find anything wrong. Anyone have any other clues about what the problem could be?

flow``

flow``
jupiter: heh

for the ASPI drivers, make a shortcut to "install.bat" and change the commandline to "install.bat xp32"

then let it install..

you did the "xp64" which was for 64 bit cpu's and messed that up

Jupiter

Just a Jupi.
i was sure i told it xp32 each time =\
but oh well. it's all working properly now, and that's what really matters :)
i appreciate all the help, and apologize for my own stupidity lol