What's new

ATI Radeon 9700 pro

rob64

Banned
I have upgrading my graphics card from a geforce 4 mx440 to a radeon 9700 pro and i was hoping that it would be supported by 1964 could you please tell me if this is correct

Specs

P4 2.4 gig
256mb ddr ram
Soundblaster 5.1 digital
win 98
geforce 4 mx440
80 gig hard disc
n64 PC adapter + N64 Pad

iq_132

Banned
Uhhhh....
I think that your system shouldn't have any problem running any N64 game on pretty much any decent card (GeForce 4 MX series included) with Apollo, PJ64, or 1964, but if you want to drop another $399 on a video card that will be out of date in 3 months... go right ahead :)

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Just don't use OpenGL plugins. Almost all are made for nVidia cards and have little or no support for anything else.

OP
R

rob64

Banned
By any chance would be talking about a card that not only leapfroged the whole Geforce chipset interms of fps including Doom 3 but also
can support full sreen anti alis & ansitropic filtering on any game at high fps so i hardly think that is a waste of money

Stezo2k

S-2K
why get a 9700 when u got a GF4? u really wont notice much difference in performence :p and the radeon drivers suck

Stez

Stezo2k

S-2K
its kinda like the P4 Vs AthlonXP war...... AthlonXP may be slower, but it rocks and is way better than P4, and the P4 may be fast, but u wont notice better performence with a P4 1.8ghz compared to a athlonxp 1800 @ 1.6ghz i think.

Athlons could be better, they just need better openGL support and better drivers.

Stez

OP
R

rob64

Banned
bull the ati rad craps all over any geforce 4 card in terms of fps on any game plus you can play quake 3 in 1600 / 1200
6X AA 16Atf and it will still be totaly playble if you don't belive me read this

http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/radeon9700pro(4).shtml

but make sure to add the (4).shtml inorder for it to load in

Last edited:

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Stezo2k said:
its kinda like the P4 Vs AthlonXP war...... AthlonXP may be slower, but it rocks and is way better than P4, and the P4 may be fast, but u wont notice better performence with a P4 1.8ghz compared to a athlonxp 1800 @ 1.6ghz i think.

Athlons could be better, they just need better openGL support and better drivers.

Stez
Athlon XP processors aren't slower than Pentium 4 processors. They're faster. An AMD Athlon XP 1800+ would totally demolish a Pentium 4 1.8Ghz.

And AMD has nothing to do with OpenGL. You're getting them confused with ATI.

guve25

Radeon 9700... especially pro version, will give you the best results... untill the end of the year at least, why not wait for NV30 first to see a comparison then buy the appropriate graphic card, sure radeon 9700 can beat the hell out of anything... but at $399.... mmm... you're burning your money u know...

and AMD is wayyyyyyyyyy much more faster than P4... EVER, if only AMD knows how to create better yield for their processor i.e, the same speed as the P4... we know who will win

so, my point is, if you want to buy radeon 9700 pro... by all means! BUY IT!!! the current king of the hill, and don't worry about the drivers, many modified drivers are available

Method_Man

Hadoken
hehe i rather wait for the NV30 since Nvidia claims that its 2 1/2 - 4 times faster than the GF4Ti4600 and the drivers are 1,000,000 times better than ATI's. According to my Computer Shopper (October 2002) the NV30 has 10 times more programmability than DirectX 9.0, meaning the it has been built beyond current requiremets. Those are the reasons why the people who got the 9700 Pro will feel sorry.

ra5555

N64 Newbie
I disagree with the diver issues regarding to ATI Radeon 9700, In my opinon ATI is doing an excellent job with its Radeon Series.

I strongly recommend you all to read this artical at Tomshardware http://www.tomshardware.com/business/02q3/020925/index.html

it discusses some of the steps that ATI is taking to improve their Drivers. They accually are listening to their customers.

This page talks about ATI's drivers:
http://www.tomshardware.com/business/02q3/020925/atimojo-09.html

Here is a direct Qoute from the site

"What we having been seeing however, in email and in discussions within our THG Community Forums, is that many of you are still concerned about the drivers and software that make up part of the 9700 equation.

Thanks to Chris Hook at ATI, we were able to have an exclusive chance to have a "no holds barred" discussion with Joe and Terry about these subjects. We asked some difficult questions regarding the drivers and consumers' perceptions about ATI drivers. We also received news of a new beta program that is coming soon.

After this discussion, we are even more convinced that ATI has a deeper and more genuine commitment to driver development than ever before, and if drivers are the only reason that you would not consider the purchase of an ATI product, it seems you had better re-think your position. Terry and his team know they have something to prove, and they are working very hard to deliver drivers that should not only increase in performance over time, but become some of the most stable in the industry, as well. It is hard to argue with men on a mission, so read on to see what they had to say to us.

THG - Can you guys tell me who you are and what your responsibility is at ATI?

JC - My name is Joe Chien, and I am the Director of Software Engineering, responsible for the Radeon 9700 software and the drivers.

TM - I'm Terry Makedon, and I'm the Senior Product Manager of Software on the Marketing side. CATALYST Software Suite is one of the products which I am responsible for.

THG - I find it interesting that the industry has come to the point where we actually have to have a product manager for the drivers. I think there has been a perception in the past that the drivers have been a weak point with ATI. And that is just not the case anymore, is it, Terry?

TM - Absolutely not. For any of your readers that do not know, we launched the CATALYST software suite a few months ago. CATALYST is the family name for ATI's software, which includes our graphics driver software, our MULTIMEDIA CENTER (which includes DVD, and TV players), HYDRAVISION (our multi-monitor software), and our REMOTE WONDER software (to use our remote control for your PC).

With the CATALYST launch, we have an unparalleled level of commitment to things that our customers tell us matter the most. Those are what I refer to as the CATALYST attributes, and they include things such as performance updates, stability, new features, and usability. In fact, CATALYST is focused on seven attributes. These are all based on the feedback that we are getting from our customers, whether it be OEM customers or the end users. We have decided that we are going to make the strongest commitment to provide the best software suite available in the marketplace.

Another note is that the frequency of updates for the drivers was important for our users. So, we made a commitment to provide eight to ten driver updates per year. Ever since we launched CATALYST, it is actually a six-week cycle that we are on. We are on CATALYST Version 3 right now, and we have hit our schedules to the day as planned. So, the entire software organization is working toward that six-week cycle. We want to post new drivers and introduce new bug fixes, performance boosts, new features, or what have you, as frequently as makes sense.

Having said all that, the trick is to find the delicate balance of all these attributes that ensures the driver will be of value to the most users as possible. For example, we can focus one driver release to just introduce new features, but not improve performance or increase stability. That, in my mind, is not acceptable. I would prefer to issue a driver that has some new features, as well as some new performance, as well as some new stability. To illustrate the example, look at an excerpt from the latest release notes included as part of CATALYST 02.3 posting (Below)

You can see that this driver set provided:

Performance Improvements;
New Features;
Stability enhancements;
User-Friendliness.
All as part of a unified driver set, which is fully certified from Microsoft. And this was made available just six weeks after the previous CATALYST driver was posted. "

There are a lot more extra information about ATI's drivers on the site, I incourage you all to check it out if you haven't aready had a look yet.

OP
R

rob64

Banned
are these drivers on the site to download now because i will be reciving my card tomorrow and i will want the best drivers to put on sys

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Yes they are at ATI's official website: http://www.ati.com and go to the support and to the drivers section

Another note is that I am think that ATI's drivers accually states what the improvements and fixes are with each release, while you have no idea what the new Nvidia drivers does.

Here is a graphic representing ATI's commitment to improve driver performance over the long run. (from the website)

NOTE: ati is accually listening to what their customers want, I am sad that Nvidia is not doing the same...

OP
R

rob64

Banned
RADEON 9700 PRO in Windows 98

As of July 1, 2002 Microsoft stopped accepting submissions for driver certification testing under the Windows 98/98SE environment.
Since the RADEON 9700 PRO was released after the July 1st date, ATI is unable to offer certified display drivers for Windows 98/98SE.
The RADEON 9700 PRO will function in Windows 98/98SE using the Windows ME drivers and software provided for the product.

does this mean that I don't need to get the new CATALYST RADEON (7.72) Reference Drivers or sould i get them any way.
Are they for xp or somthing??

Stezo2k

S-2K
dont get me wrong though, radeons kick ass and are better than Nvidias latest line up, but the drivers suck, and i heard that the 9xxx series dont support Direct X 9 @ neowin.net

Stez

Stezo2k

S-2K
(sorry for 3rd post but) this really doesnt belong in the 1964 forum, i'd say the tech talk forum would be appropiate

Stez