What's new

It involves a N64 so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godlance

Do you think a Doctor V64 emulator can be done?

I think that with a DD-Port-to-parallel-port cable and a simple program it can be done. I was thinking of loading the roms on the PC like the doctor with the cable conected so the N64 will play the roms.

There is any project? Any idea?

I think it would be nice, and that it requires the same work as to build an adaptoid, but I don't know nothing about programing, coding or building gadgets... :cry:

Don't you think it would be a nice project?

It's free to dream a bit......

icepir8

The problem is the CIC chip. A simple ROM emulator would be simple enough to make but you have to pass the needed signals to the CIC chip and any EEPROM or RAM that the game needs to run.

Stezo2k

S-2K
erm why not play the roms on a emu? and playing roms on an n64 would be pretty illegal (why would u wana play roms on a console, when ur suppost to own any rom u download)

Stez

because in theory the n64 should be able to play the games faster and without errors etc...
because if you could create a cable that goes between a port on the computer and the cartridge port on the system with a control board in between you could in theory make the console think there is a cartidge in it and load the file to play...
but yeah

mesman00

What's that...?
hey stez, playing roms on the n64 wouldn't be anymore illegal than it is playing them on emulators on your computer.

neoak

Triforce of Something...
It is possible. However, there must be some things for this to work:

1. A dummy cartidge: A 256 Mb or 512 Mb cart to load the Bios on Memory.
2. A cable for the DD slot: Hey! the Disk Drive slot is the only one workable.
3. A very, VERY fast cable with a FAST PC port: Hey, we are talking big here. The cable must be either USB 2.0 or IEEE1394 (Forget Parallel. That thing is more slow that a Turtle).

The rest is up to you. And the software... hey, i'm studying Computers Enginering, but i'm only begining.

Slougi

icepir8 said:
The problem is the CIC chip. A simple ROM emulator would be simple enough to make but you have to pass the needed signals to the CIC chip and any EEPROM or RAM that the game needs to run.
Yes, but couldn't those be emulated in software? I don't really a see a problem regarding that, and as noted before PC's now have external ports with sufficient speeds. N64 carts are still faster tho, I think transferrates were around 500 MB /sec. Correct me if i'm wrong.

The main problem i see is in designing a sufficiently fast circuitry between the USB 2/Firewire port to be able to emulate the cart in real time. I am not even sure whether that is possible. A better approach prolly is ripping open a real game cartidge and replacing the roms with rewritable ones. You would need to do this to several games tho, due to differences in cartridge sizes (8 - 64MB) and saving mechanisms. (flashram, eprom, different sizes of them). If I was skilled enough I would give designing a "universal" cartridge a shot, but I'm afraid that might not even be possible.

icepir8

Slougi said:
icepir8 said:
Yes, but couldn't those be emulated in software? I don't really a see a problem regarding that, and as noted before PC's now have external ports with sufficient speeds. N64 carts are still faster tho, I think transferrates were around 500 MB /sec. Correct me if i'm wrong.
The problem is hardware in nature. the timing of the signals to the N64 from the CIC chip are very exactting. Yes you could do it in sofware.... but could you do it fast enough for it to work with the real N64? Probably not.

Slougi said:
The main problem i see is in designing a sufficiently fast circuitry between the USB 2/Firewire port to be able to emulate the cart in real time. I am not even sure whether that is possible. A better approach prolly is ripping open a real game cartidge and replacing the roms with rewritable ones. You would need to do this to several games tho, due to differences in cartridge sizes (8 - 64MB) and saving mechanisms. (flashram, eprom, different sizes of them). If I was skilled enough I would give designing a "universal" cartridge a shot, but I'm afraid that might not even be possible. [/B]
No. the speed here would not be the issue. The Rom Image would Download to a buffer on the cart. the speed of transfer wouldn't be cridical. The size of the buffer and the access time of the buffer would be. The emulation of EEPROM/SRAM/Flash Ram would be tricky in the fact that they all work differrently.

I've been down this road before. I worked in the comercial coin op game bussiness. Copy protection of games was very intense. I worked on both hardware and software protections.

Slougi

What I meant with the speed issue is if you don't want to have a "cart" as thus, with flashable roms etc, but would rather directly download that data from pc whenever requested.

Stezo2k

S-2K
mesman00 said:
hey stez, playing roms on the n64 wouldn't be anymore illegal than it is playing them on emulators on your computer.

what makes ya think that? playing roms on the N64 shows u dont own them, if u play em on PC, most ppl own the roms of games they download

Stez

Slougi

Stezo2k said:
mesman00 said:

what makes ya think that? playing roms on the N64 shows u dont own them, if u play em on PC, most ppl own the roms of games they download

Stez
:bs:

OP
G

Godlance

And, with the correct software, Isn't capable our N64 to load the roms directly from the HD? There isn't a way to use the HD as a cartridge? Maybe with a fast cable and a good emu, we can use the pc as a Doctor V64. :N64:

Stezo2k

S-2K
Slougi said:
Stezo2k said:
mesman00 said:

Stez
:bs:

Ok i might be wrong about most ppl owning the Games they download as a ROM, but like i said playing roms on the N64 shows u dont own them

mesman00

What's that...?
lol, in what way does it show that?? what do you think the doctor v64, and all other similar products, were made for: playing roms on your n64. sure, its just another so called "backup" utility, but i am sure there are just as many people playing roms they don't own on their computers than there are playing them on a doctor v64, if not more on there computers.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
icepir8 said:
I use mine for testing the n64 to see how it works. :)

Is that a "substantial non-infringing use"? Is it "substantial"? Is it "non-infringing"? Which over-paid lawyer gets to decide that?

crhylove

Banned
bahhh stupid lawyers, stupid law everything. big whoop if you don't own a rom, because you didn't pay some total rip off artist pawn shop $5 to buy it?!?

a dead console is a dead console, they should just open source the whole thing and all the roms.

like they aren't going to make enough on the gamecube/GBA over the next few years... give me a break.

rhy

gokuss4

Meh...
err... just order a cd64 and put all the roms you can on a cd. insert the cd in the cd64 and choose the rom. not sure how you hook it up, i just know how it works. Ogy has one. it plays all n64 roms besides 512mb sized roms.

Stezo2k

S-2K
crhylove said:
bahhh stupid lawyers, stupid law everything. big whoop if you don't own a rom, because you didn't pay some total rip off artist pawn shop $5 to buy it?!?

a dead console is a dead console, they should just open source the whole thing and all the roms.

like they aren't going to make enough on the gamecube/GBA over the next few years... give me a break.

rhy

yeah your right, its just we dont condone illegal activity at emutalk, thats what i was saying

sifi

In reply to the original thread I found this after asking myself the same question
its $200+ all details can be found here *removed*

better late than never

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.