What's new

Windows XP Optimization

Olger901

Banned
For all the guys who want to optimize Win XP I am posting this small Info thread:

1 Start MSconfig and disable anything that you don't use.
(Especially disable the Nvidia Helpservice this program takes a lot performance away!)

2 Download Ad Aware from http://lavasoftusa.com and make a scan for adware and delete anything it finds. This will also speedup your PC alot.

3 For KaZaA users go to: http://www.kazaalite.nl and Download KaZaA Lite. This is a KaZaA version without the Ad- and Spyware

4 Go to your Control Panel and go to Remove Windows Setup parts and delete MSN explorer, Windows Media Player and MSN Messenger (Only do this if you DON'T USE THEM!) this will make some free memory (At least it made 40 Megs free in my memory on my pc!)

5 Install service Pack 1; This has a fix that fixes a lag with menu's in XP and it also reduces the usage of memory but not that much though (For me it reduced the memory usage with 12 Meg)

6 DO NOT install any Anti Virus program! These program's only slow your pc down. Instead make once a week a scan on: http://housecall.antivirus.com it finds almost all viruses and also will remove them.

If you REALLY want to have a virusscanner though. go to: http://www.free-av.com/ and download this AV program (This one doesn't slow down your PC that much) or download the one from http://www.grisoft.com (This one also doesn't slow down your pc as much as norton does)

7 If you want to do some online gaming I also reccomend to NOT install any firewall. It only slows down your pc. Instead use Microsoft's WinXP built in firewall

That is all for now. I will continue the list later on when I have found more info on how to improve performance in WinXP

OP
O

Olger901

Banned
Ok here is some extra tweaking info I found out;

1 Start the registry editor go to Current_USERControlPanelDesktop (The actual key is called MenuShowDelay) set it to 0 (zero). This will disable the menu delay

2 Go to the Internet Exporer on the desktop right-click it and type -nohome behind it. This will speed up the Internet Explorer instantly

3 Uninstalling Programs in Windows XP without installing Service Pack 1. Open the file sysoc.inf in the X:\Windows\Inf directory.
There should be a word hide between 2 comma's. Remove the word and let the 2 comma's stand. This way you can uninstall various programs you couldn't uninstall before including MSN Messenger

4 Autokilling programs at Windows shut down: Start the registry Editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelDesktop. Then alter the option AutoEndTasks and change the value to 1
This will speedup the Shutdown of WinXP

5 Memory Performance Tweaks:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession
ManagerMemory Management Here is some memory stuff you can disable by changing the Value to 0 (This is only recommended for Advanced Users!!)

6 Just a hint; If you don't mind to format ur pc when you are having an error. Then disable System Restor. This will save you about 500 to 600 Megs of Diskspace!!!

7 Do a harddisk cleaning in Start > Programs. This will give you some extra HD space.

8 More shutdown Speed

go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\ and change the value of WaitToKillAppTimeout to anything you want. The Default is 20 000 this will speedup the shutting down the programs during the shut down of windows

9 Open your Control Panel and Open the Hardware Managment system. go to the primary IDE setting and enable DMA mode. Also do this on your CD/Rom. This will speed up your HD and CD-Rom when loading a file

This is it for now. As soon as I have more I´ll post it again

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
If you have a router within your home, don't bother with a firewall (disable the firewall service in this case, its worthless). Normaly all inbound traffic is blocked. Theres hardly any point in blocking outbound traffic, unless you can't keep track of your own software. Whenever you need a specific inbound port open, just have your router forward it to your PCs IP address.

flow``

flow``
Instead use Microsoft's WinXP built in firewall <--lol no
none of your first post tweaks actually 'tweak xp' except modifying windows services

kazaa lite, adaware, and that virus stuff is just your recommendation on what to use

personally norton 2003 sys works does a fine job on my pc and i really notice no slowdown at all

one of the best tweaks i've found is just doing this:

right click on my computer, properties, advanced tab, performance->settings

and change it to "adjust for best performance"

it really made a difference on my mom's slower p3 600/256 ram/tnt vanta

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Xp's firewall is CRAP. It is nothing good at all. Disable it and use a proper firewall, is a good tip. Xp's firewall isn't very secure (hint: microsoft), but that's besides the point, because it's really hard to configure and it blocks stuff such as sending files on irc and over messenger and the gods alone know what else.

flow``

flow``
doom i hate to say it, but you didnt give me any decent reason to disable it (supposing i had it enabled)

i'm tired of people hating on MS just b/c they can and think it makes them look good. obviously it blocks inbound traffic on weird ports (e.g. mIRC uses 113, with 1024-5000 for files)

please grow up and back up your statements with some sort of actual proof rather then opinion.

Doomulation

My fault :corpse:
I thought it was "new psots" while it was a search result....a search I made myself. :doh:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Upgrade to ad-aware 6!! Ad-Aware 5 is a piece of garbage in comparison, ad-aware 6 found hundreds of things ad-aware 5 missed. I'm glad I decided to upgrade...

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
I don't remember where it's located, but change largesystemcache from 0 to 1 for a nice performance boost, given you have a good amount of RAM (256MB+ RAM minimum, I would think would be about right.)

Other basic stuff: (Some of which has been already mentioned)

Turn off file indexing! It'll save disk space AND speed up your system! What a deal! I also turn off thumbnail caching, as that saps up HD space, and can actually SAP today's powerful processors and HD's. I don't like windows making huge trails without my explicit permission, anyway, and turn off all those things that cause such things. I don't remember everything, but there was one specific setting about windows keeping track of you and your preferences, which I strongly recommend turning off, for privacy and speed reasons.

As far as system restore is concerned, DON'T turn it off! Instead, turn off the individual drives, and without a doubt turn off your non-system drives. That way, you can still use restore points (which are invaluable,) but won't have to deal with the performance loss for useless stuff. If HD space is a concern, I hear many complaints "It eats up SO much space!", then simply adjust how much space it's using! Solved. So many people just shrug this stuff off without looking in to it. I personally have system restore on, and only my main partition on with the minimal amount of space to use. I turn it off at times.

Don't use IE. Don't use Outlook Express. They are huge security risks, and are not the most efficient browsers either. I strongly recommend mozilla. Whenever you run IE for the first time after a boot up, even after you close it it leaves a copy running for faster loading, and there is no way around it.

There is absolutely no reason to have a swap file anymore, unless you are poor. Upgrade to 512MB RAM (minimum) for 50 bucks or less and get rid of it. You won't regret it.

I will stress it again: AD-AWARE (or equivalent, of which I wasn't aware of but am informed exists.) This isn't negotiable in today's internet world. Ad-watch, however, IS negotiable, if you don't mind/can take care of spyware cookies and scan with ad-aware regularly. I don't think anyone here is stupid enough to use Kazaa, but just in case, NEVER, EVER, EVER use Kazaa! It's spyware garbage! If you must use kazaa (it is helpful in certain rare circumstances, I prefer IRC for filesharing however,) use Kazaa Lite, and always have a virus monitor running.

Virus scanners, as well as things such as ad-watch, really sap your processor & HD. Turn them off when you are gaming.

To save a little system resources and lots of RAM, turn off all those useless services (which is nearly all of them) that come automatic on with XP, even home edition. You can save a good 64MB this way, early all of them are specialty stuff that you will only need in certain rare special situations. On that note, make a very close look at your processes list, as well as your boot list (use MSConfig, it's in the last column, the non-service boot programs,) and get rid of any garbage you don't want running. Turning off themes if you don't use them saves RAM as well.

There is an awesome little program called "bootviz." Download. Run. Enjoy. It fixes up your HD so things boot faster. It nearly halved by boot-up time! Great great program.

Finally we come to an unfortunate necessity (unless you are under a proper router, which is a wise investment I haven't yet made,) which is a firewall. I use Norton IS 2002. It's an excellent program, but it does sap alot of resources. It asks me EVERY time a connection is attempted, inward or outwards, that isn't specifically in it's list of "OK." That's one item that's not debatable. The built-in XP firewall isn't great, but it does a minimal job with little resource sapping if you aren't too concerned with firewalls (if you actually install a firewall, and see all the hack attempts your computer will be getting, you'll quickly change your mind.) You CAN be pretty safe by disabling all possibly entryways such as file and print sharing, for one minor example, in conjuction with the XP firewall. That will keep the low-level hackers at bay, but won't leave you totally safe. The chances of a smart reputable hacker getting into your home system is slim to none though, really, they have bigger fish to fry.

I know most of this is pretty basic but hope it helps :)

There was this program somewhere in the administrative tools that allows you to go through nearly all the hidden settings of XP, properly described, without registry hacking. It was excellent, and I can no longer find it. Can someone please tell me how to access this? I think it's not well know at all.

On another topic: PROBLEM:
I made some changes with MSCONFIG, and now every time I boot my machine I get a message that I made changes with it and am getting a message because it's in selective startup (even I changed it back to full,) and even if I check the box for it not to run at startup and not to show me the message, it still comes up, every time. Any suggestions?

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
you can try going in the registry to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\

Delete anything anything in startupforlder and in startupreg . Unfortunately they'll dissapear also from the msconfig list (you can't enable them later)

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
nephalim said:
Don't use IE. Don't use Outlook Express. They are huge security risks, and are not the most efficient browsers either. I strongly recommend mozilla.

I second that.

nephalim said:
There is absolutely no reason to have a swap file anymore, unless you are poor. Upgrade to 512MB RAM (minimum) for 50 bucks or less and get rid of it. You won't regret it.

Actually, some programs insist on having a swap file, no matter how much RAM you have. Setting it to "system managed" has almost the same effect speed-wise as disabling the swap file, while maintining compatibility,

nephalim said:
I will stress it again: AD-AWARE (or equivalent, of which I wasn't aware of but am informed exists.)

SpyBot Search & Destroy
I recommend running both.

nephalim said:
use Kazaa Lite

And make sure you get it from http://k-lite.tk/, not kazaalite.com.

nephalim said:
There is an awesome little program called "bootviz." Download. Run. Enjoy. It fixes up your HD so things boot faster. It nearly halved by boot-up time! Great great program.

Actually, that's bootvis.

nephalim said:
There was this program somewhere in the administrative tools that allows you to go through nearly all the hidden settings of XP, properly described, without registry hacking. It was excellent, and I can no longer find it. Can someone please tell me how to access this? I think it's not well know at all.

TweakUI? Also check out Xteq X-Setup.

Doomulation

Ok, it's time to quote!

nephalim said:
As far as system restore is concerned, DON'T turn it off! Instead, turn off the individual drives, and without a doubt turn off your non-system drives. That way, you can still use restore points (which are invaluable,) but won't have to deal with the performance loss for useless stuff. If HD space is a concern, I hear many complaints "It eats up SO much space!", then simply adjust how much space it's using! Solved. So many people just shrug this stuff off without looking in to it. I personally have system restore on, and only my main partition on with the minimal amount of space to use. I turn it off at times.
Actually, system restore rarely works for me...I don't really see a good reason to why having it on.

Don't use IE. Don't use Outlook Express. They are huge security risks, and are not the most efficient browsers either. I strongly recommend mozilla. Whenever you run IE for the first time after a boot up, even after you close it it leaves a copy running for faster loading, and there is no way around it.
Internet doesn't take up much resources...
I hardly believe it can make your computer faster...but you're right on that it's a big security risk, though.

Wrong! I used a computer with 512 mb ram and a swap file of about 150 mb. When using video compression, it froze and complained about virtual memory! It's best to enable this.

Well unfortunaly, this one hasn't done anything for me when I last tried it...

Finally we come to an unfortunate necessity (unless you are under a proper router, which is a wise investment I haven't yet made,) which is a firewall. I use Norton IS 2002. It's an excellent program, but it does sap alot of resources. It asks me EVERY time a connection is attempted, inward or outwards, that isn't specifically in it's list of "OK." That's one item that's not debatable. The built-in XP firewall isn't great, but it does a minimal job with little resource sapping if you aren't too concerned with firewalls (if you actually install a firewall, and see all the hack attempts your computer will be getting, you'll quickly change your mind.) You CAN be pretty safe by disabling all possibly entryways such as file and print sharing, for one minor example, in conjuction with the XP firewall. That will keep the low-level hackers at bay, but won't leave you totally safe. The chances of a smart reputable hacker getting into your home system is slim to none though, really, they have bigger fish to fry.
It's actually good that it asks you what should be allowed. It would be a security risk otherwise. But then, you may disable this if it doesn't suit you I think...