What's new

CXBX - Real or Fake

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
Can someone please tell me if the X-Box emu CXBX is real or fake??? There seems to be no mention of it from the big sites and it seems genuine??? Thanks

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Seems real enough to me. It's not up on ZD because the main Windows/DOS emulators page would need modifying (to make a new X-box section) and only SwampGas has the authority to modify PHTML files.

Stezo2k

S-2K
hmm seems pretty real to me, it should be quite possible to emulate the xbox if u have a geforce graphics card, cuz then u wouldnt need to emulate the geforce 3, which would speed up the emu quite a lot, and it wouldnt need to emulate the hard drive either cuz every1 has one here should be easier than an n64 emu

Stez

Slougi

Seems good enough, although still too early to tell. I wonder how he is gonna handle unified memory. I have a few ideas regarding that, but we'll see.

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
alright, You Guys dont know how hard these authors work... I hang around with the authors and developers in the XBOX Scene... If only you guys knew how Much these people work...

Quvack

CpUMaster: no one actually said that the XBox guys dont work that hard, they were just questioning if something was real or not, thats all.. its normal to be skeptical of an emulator for a system which is so new.

Others: AFAIK its not a fake, its just difficult to do, so it'll take a fair time :)

caustik

Alright people...

CXBX is "real." While it can't play games you've illegally downloaded, it is an advanced tool to get an .xbe file loaded on a win32 system. This is the first of many steps it will take to get the software to actually run with visuals and sound and whatnot. The process used to emulate the .xbe files is constantly being revised, and progress is slow because I am a full time student and spend time tutoring at school. Not to mention that I have a few other hobbies and I cannot devote my life to this project.

I am likely going to release cxbx.dll to the open source world sometime in the near future, I just have a few hurdles to overcome and some reverse engineering to work on before it is ready. Once the source to cxbx.dll is released, it will be possible for other developers to contribute to the code, which will speed up the process significantly.

Yes, emulation is going to happen. No, it isnt easy. Yes, cxbx is already a complicated system that does some pretty god damned cool stuff behind the scenes. No you don't see much in the way of visual results yet.

Please respect the work your xbox hacker friends, myself included, do in order to develop the software tools you use. Understand that the first emulator for any system takes a whole hell of a lot of work, as it is new territory.

Peace,
Caustik

Quvack

nice post :) I'm glad you posted it, its what I wanted to say but couldnt coz I dont really follow the xbox scene too much. IMO playing commercial games on the computer isnt the thing people should be looking at, its just great seeing things improve in compatibility and such, I know others see differently because they just wanna play games 4 free. Thats not what emulation is about though.

Last edited:
OP
Grant64

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
I was only asking - It is just when the PS2 emu's came out there were posts n NGemu - Emu64 - The lot!!! No one seems to know about this!!!

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
Grant64 said:
I was only asking - It is just when the PS2 emu's came out there were posts n NGemu - Emu64 - The lot!!! No one seems to know about this!!!

Well, I dont think people care about the XBOX community for some reasons... XBOX is made By M$ (DUH!), The PC is about eqivilant to a PC & Some People just plain hate it... Maybe in time it will catch on...

Stezo2k

S-2K
caustik said:
Alright people...

CXBX is "real." While it can't play games you've illegally downloaded, it is an advanced tool to get an .xbe file loaded on a win32 system. This is the first of many steps it will take to get the software to actually run with visuals and sound and whatnot. The process used to emulate the .xbe files is constantly being revised, and progress is slow because I am a full time student and spend time tutoring at school. Not to mention that I have a few other hobbies and I cannot devote my life to this project.

I am likely going to release cxbx.dll to the open source world sometime in the near future, I just have a few hurdles to overcome and some reverse engineering to work on before it is ready. Once the source to cxbx.dll is released, it will be possible for other developers to contribute to the code, which will speed up the process significantly.

Yes, emulation is going to happen. No, it isnt easy. Yes, cxbx is already a complicated system that does some pretty god damned cool stuff behind the scenes. No you don't see much in the way of visual results yet.

Please respect the work your xbox hacker friends, myself included, do in order to develop the software tools you use. Understand that the first emulator for any system takes a whole hell of a lot of work, as it is new territory.

Peace,
Caustik

thanx for the info dude, sounds very promising and real, btw are u the author?

Stez

OP
Grant64

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
Yeah well the ain't gonna be easy!!! X-Box should be easier!!! But still damn hard! I personally cannot wait for an X-Box emu and really hope caustik can do the biz! I want a DC emu more!!!

RPGlover12

dc emu is never gonna get emulated i haven't hear dof any workin on dc
just ps2 and xbox taht are gonna be emulated soon though ps2 will take about 6 months and xbox is gonna take about 3 months oh well hope we see a workin gc and xbox and ps2 :)

Stezo2k

S-2K
RPGlover12 said:
DC is never gonna get emulated i haven't heard of any workin' on DC

WRONG, never say never, and there is people working on a dc emu, what about icarus, Dcemu and that one by lordcheez. Dcemulation is possible, but is one of the hardest consoles to emulate, there is already an emu that plays a commercial DC game called icarus, and plays a few homebrew games & emus still isnt released tho.

Stez

OP
Grant64

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
Icarus is doing well but to say it plays commercial games is a little OTT. It has been a while since the Snow Surfers pic was shown to the world and I am hoping Cyrus is doing better now!!! He doesn't update much!!! Hopefully he will give us a status report soon!