What's new

Audio Glitching Help Please?

loonytunes

Hi, i have 1gz intel, 256mb ram 32 mb nvidia gforce mx, when i try and use all the emus, pj64 being my fav :), i get superb video from jabos directx plug but audio on most roms is extremely crackly/broken, i have an sblive card, and an audiopci, this happens with both cards??, and in windowed or full screen, normal pc directx games work no problems with sound, any ideas???
Tia
Loony

Acorn

Hiya, its 5 am here so I'm a bit sleepy ;)

My personal experiance with skipping is that jabo's skips a lot. Are you using Azimers sound plugin? If your not, get it (in apollo, 1964, in a plugin section of www.emulation64.com I think). After getting Azimers, or if you are already using it, try enabling sync audio to gameplay. It slows games down a tiny bit, but keeps the sound from skipping almost 100% for me, and I'm only 200mhz faster than you.

Emulation is a lot different from the way it plays sounds than normal "PC" games. Emu's are not PC games, better to think of them as if you were running PC games on a MAC. You seem to have a very good grasp of getting the emu to work, so understanding it and the problem shouldn't be hard. What an emulator does is take code written for the N64 hardware, and translate the code so it works on pc hardware. This invloves more than you might think, as the langs are very different. Just as a relitive example, the n64 code might say *E*M*U* while the PC needs to see E M U. I've not did more than a weeks work with actual N64 programs, so thats the best example I can give at this time of morning ;) Back to the sound. A normal program, written for the PC would tell the speakers to play a 5 min sound file from such and such a location using such and such a method. An emulator has to jump through a completely different hoop. The emu's sound is more.... umm real time. The sound is still stored in sound files, but as the emulator encounters the sound it send the data nessissary to play to the sound plugin. The sound plugin then interprits this exactly as it recieves it, I.E. it gets the sound, changes it to something the sound card can understand and has the sound card play it. Because of this, any break in the recieving of the sound means that the sound will jump, or crackle. You can set certain prebuffering options which change this some, but I'll not go into that now. Basicly, what I'm saying is that the the way the sound plays is relitive to the cpu speed. Meaning that if your comp isn't keeping up with the emu in any way, the sound will jerk. Your cpu and video are quite fast enough to play, so the problem isn't speed. Fiddle around with plugin settings, and you shouldn't have any problem getting the sound to not skip - at least on the "normal" or easy to emulate games.