What's new

Project 64 - To Open Source or .. ?

jpm1234

Hi all,

Newbie poster here, but I have been following the forums for a little while now. ;)

I was wondering if the last PJ64 (1.4) release is going to be the last major one, then would it be possible to release the source code for it?

My personal reason for this is that I'm wanting to get into 3D programming myself, and believe it would be fun and educational to see how some really good programmers go about something so complex. :colgate:

Another reason being that PJ can be improved even more, Radeon Smooth Vision enhancements maybe, new features, etc added to it. Well, it's just an idea anyways, and even if the source would not be released right away, maybe in the future, a few months after its release?

Well, thanks for reading, and rock on :pj64:

JPm

:plain: :hrm: ??? :) :colgate:

mesman00

What's that...?
eh, not likely, there are too many lamers who would just compile it, rename add, change the menu around, and call it their own...
but, if you want to get a look at a some code for a great n64 emu, check out 1964's web site, there open source, and a very good emulator. go to www.1964emu.com

OP
jpm1234

jpm1234

mesman00,

While there is that possibility, do you see very many 1964 Clones using their source code and changing the menu around?

I can't say that I have, and anyone who has used PJ (or 1964) would realize after using a new 'ripped off' emulator that it was exactly the same as the original source otherwise.

The main source of the 'slightly modified and released as their own'-type N64 emulators were UltraHLE knock offs I believe, where the source wasn't available and they mainly used a hex editor to modify some of the code (or something similar).

I was thinking of this possibility when I posted this originally, but I feel that the people who really matter in the emulation scene would recognize something in this vein as a rip-off and expose it as such if this happened.

Anyways, it is up to the authors: Jabo, and Zilmar..

Good work on the project in any case. Merry Xmas! :pj64:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Blade64.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, theres more cool people than lamers, and rip off emus can never get further than the emus they rip off. The only problem is sites like A@H run by f***wits with no clue or care for emulation, who will host any fake emu and keep hosting it after theyre told, for hits.

gokuss4

Meh...
heck jabo and zilmar said the same exact thing about version 1.0 and they continued it and version 1.4 will hopefully NOT be the last cause i love that emu to DEATH! JABO AND ZILMAR PLEASE AND I MEAN PLEASE DON'T DISCONTINUE THE EMU!!!:cry: :cry:

Acorn

Ahh, of course we do! Dude, the world will end if PJ64 loses another little stick thingy! The emulation scene will collapse if A@H promotes a fake emu!

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ack no, missing point, those sites allow those people to continue what they're doing, without them they'd have no exposure.

Acorn

OMG smiff are you up 24/7?? :)

Yes.. they allow the continued publicity. But not to the dedicated emu public, who all know what a fake is after retrogames, emulation64 + ever other respected news source, irc channel, forum and contact has beaten it to death. They trick people who are still in the toplist phase of emulation into thinking they are real - which can be a very bad influince for people who are seriously joining the emu scene. Because of the side that is "casually" into emulation, or was reccomended in by a friend and is just trying to discredit it (much to common for me :/), these fakes generate a headache and sense of non-value for the true authors, those whose skill lies in programming emus and not stealing.

So the problem we are dealing with is #1 the site who will do anything for publicity and #2 the people who don't, or never think to check out the vallidity of an emu. I'm assuming that the people actually creating the fakes arn't a problem - we know their type and feelings, in the many styles they come, and are smart enough to laugh at them and not boil.

Does this sum it up pretty well or did I just rant?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Errr... isn't there, I think, a way to make the open source sort of license? I think Snes9X has some way of this...

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
gettin ur work stolen does suck, but as sniff(hehe:D) mentioned they arent going to get much better than the original emu. the newb who downloads the emulators from topsites will realize which ones are better.

anyway, this decision isnt up to us, let jakob and The Other One figure out what they what to do with pj afterwards.

Smiff, r u saying Blade 64 is fake?

flow``

flow``
doom: are you freakin retarded?

its the GPU(?) license saying you have to give credit for using the source

obviously a "lamer" would only modify the GUI, name, ect and recompile without any of that with it

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Why do you think 1964 releases the source a version behind? Mmm? I might be way out on this but i think it's because Blade64 was ripping them and several other emulators off.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
:angry: i didnt ppl would get so lame.
what does Rice or Schibo think about this?
hav they reacted in any other way other than releasing the source one version later?

Jabo

Emulator Developer
just to throw in a little different opinion, users shouldn't always be glad when something goes open source. it usually means that the authors will not be working on it anymore, or a lot less. And in theory since they created the software, they would be the best ones to continue working on it. But if the project is ending than open source is great in that respect as well, also others can learn quite a bit from it. I'm more of a fan of documentation to tell you the truth. Open Source is over-rated.

Last edited:
OP
jpm1234

jpm1234

Jabo said:
just to throw in a little different opinion, users shouldn't always be glad when something goes open source. it usually means that the authors will not be working on it anymore, or a lot less. And in theory since they created the software, they would be the best ones to continue working on it. But if the project is ending than open source is great in that respect as well, also others can learn quite a bit from it. I'm more of a fan of documentation to tell you the truth. Open Source is over-rated.

Jabo, I agree that Open Source has become somewhat of a buzzword, and documentation does matter. I should have maybe been more clear when I originally posted, but I meant basically exactly what you said: that open source would be great if ??? the project was going to end after 1.4

Now I know that real life demands can affect the development of a project like this, and also what is happening now; whereby basically the emulator is (apart from small things) just about perfect.. and you've (i'm assuming :D ) just about finished what you set out to do with :pj64: .

That was mainly my question, or a suggestion for consideration for you and Zilmar..

Anyways, I have finals to study for :blush: so i better get going.

Keep up the good work! :cool:

Eddy

I Run This
Well i mostly agree with everybody.

Good Things
Some people can continue development
education on emu programming
other authors can look at the source, and see how you did it, the fault, and ways to improve the source.
More releases

Down Fall
Ripping codes
no respect
too many emus floating around, almost all the same
less people know who really busted their asses coding it.

But i wouldnt bitch if zil and jabo didnt release the source. I been really happy with pj64, it was the first emu that actually worked well with my old voodoo 3, and fast too. And i understand when you are developing a program/emu for more than 3 years, damn it takes will and big balls to give it 1 more year, or less. Rice and schibo's last two releases have been wonderful The only problem is that there is no gfx plugin to support it, only jabo's, which are constantly being updated. Along with the core, and sound. So another thing would be that the end of pj64 will slow down development amonst emus by at least 25%. The daedalus, and tr64 havent been heard of in a while, but im sure theyll get releaed, Nemu is there but it isnt if you know what im saying. Well yeah that was it.

Houn

Well, if not open source, perhaps find some dedicated individuals who might want to continue the project - many out there would love to see it continue, no matter how "perfect" 1.4 is.

But, it's up to you. Either way, you've already made your mark on the 64 emu community, and aided in the preservation of Nintendo64 throughout all time - years from now, we can show our children and grandchildren "see, this is what WE played" without having to dig out old, obsolete consoles.

Long live digital.
Long live Project 64.

- Houn

sk8bloke22

roll for life
yeh documentation is the best route, and maybe a few open source emus as examples, but theres already 1964 and daedalus.