What's new

Glide64 (or maybe eVoodoo) texture filtering borked?

Moldyfish

I remember seeing another thread where some guy had the exact same problem, and after hysterical laughing was had by all (including me) at the ugliness of his screenshot, I realized that I had the exact same problem.

*(Yes, my graphics card doesn't meet minimum spec and I am using this plug-in in conjunction with eVoodoo so I don't expect any official response on this, BUT!)

1. Even though my machine is under spec (P3 900/16MB Rage128/256MB RAM/win2kSP3), I'm amazed that I can run almost all games at full speed now, given I turn the resolution down a little, of course. I can't use Jabo's plugins since they use some blending/sampling techniques that apparently aren't fully supported by my card, leaving gaps in textures and such (release 1.5 improved somewhat). However, they'd look damned near picture-perfect on Glide64 (for some mysterious reason) if only it weren't for one little problem: certain games don't filter their textures correctly and, as a result, can look quite ugly.

2. If it was some other display problem I wouldn't bother posting, but in this case I know my card is capable of filtering textures correctly (a la Jabo's 1.5) and am simply wondering as to why it doesen't work here in the state in which it is currently implemented.

Basically I took some screens with Glide64 (eVoodoo 3.25) using 1964_0.73 (and verified on pj64_1.5). eVoodo was using these settings:

FullScreen Antialiasing - off
fog - on
fast alt. ZBuffer - off
triple buffer - on
alt. lighting sys. - off
texture filtering - ON*

[everything below that is off except fullscreen]

I copied glide3x.dll (making sure there was only one copy on my system) into the /system32 dir.

Plugin Settings:

Autodetect Microcode: on
wireframe: off
filtering: AUTOMATIC
fog enabled: off
buffer clear...: on
vsync: off
new buffer...: on

[everything else off]

Games that have relatively simple textures to begin with (like Mario 64) are largely unaffected. In Zelda, however, the filtering problem can be seen in just about everything, especially the ground in these three pictures:

The first screen is with texture filtering OFF in eVoodoo (just for kicks)
The second is with texture filtering ON in eVoodoo, and texture filtering set to automatic in Glide64 (ugly ain't it)
The third is how it SHOULD look using jabo's 1.5

(This actually happens in quite a few games, but I'm not about to take screens of ALL of them, this should illustrate the point on hand sufficiently).

...I forget the point of this post....uh....has anyone else experienced this problem? Anyone maybe have an idea as to why? Thanks.

edit: looking at the second picture again, it sort of looks like the base texture is there, but the detail textures are missing.

Last edited:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
The ground uses two textures (one for the general look, then one on top of it giving you the grassy parT) Glide64 supports this, but evoodoo does not. I think that was me who had the ugly shot :p

OP
M

Moldyfish

I see...do you suppose they'll be updating anytime soon?

edit: whoohoo!

"Multitexture support is present in wrapper although has been deactivated form control panel because it is under development yet."

Mystery solved!