What's new

Why not more good video plugins?

jollyrancher

The only reason why certain N64 games don't run on pj64 or 1964 (besides like 5 or 10) is the video plugin. And not to disrespect anyone, but there are only like 3 legitimate plugins (Jabo's, Glide64 and DaedalusD3D). Isn't it about time to say that the "core" of N64 emulators is fine and it's just time to improve the video plugin? I know some people's computers are too slow, but by the time the video plugin is near perfection, people will have upgraded anyway.

iq_132

Banned
That is somewhat true, but It is probably because Most of the niches are filled.. The only thing left really, is a really great opengl plugin... but Orkin's plugin is getting there :) The reason you don't see many plugins, is that with such great plugins, you don't need any more in the same category. or that the plugin in that category (Opengl, glide, d3d) has already been conquered, and a new one isn't necessary.

hotshitu

Banned
iq_132 said:
is that with such great plugins, you don't need any more in the same category. or that the plugin in that category (Opengl, glide, d3d) has already been conquered, and a new one isn't necessary.

I think the reason why there aren't more is simply that it's fucking hard to get started, and it's even fucking harder to get it past a certain point and from there it's even fucking harder to reach Jabo level (tm).
The more I am impressed with slowly but steadily improving plug-ins like Orkin's even though I haven't really played around with it alot.
But it would be nice to see things fixed like the dreaded misaligned textures in Mariokart (looks great on Glide64) or the clipping issues in some games that are "caused by limitations inherent to the API".

What I would also really like to see in the future is scanlines, a working algorithm that would allow for automated cropping of the overscan area (if that's possible in a HLE plugin) - there's much room for improvement really :)

OP
J

jollyrancher

I'm not so sure about scanlines... I use them on MAME for Ms. Pacman, etc., but N64's gfx should be able to stand on their own with antialiasing, anisotropic shit... try Wave Race on the new PJ64... the gfx are much better than the original N64 on a TV.

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
iq_132 said:
The only thing left really, is a really great opengl plugin... but Orkin's plugin is getting there :).

Orkin's is Great, but Dont Forget Tr64's OpenGL Plugin... It Emulates Perfect Dark um, Perfectly ;)

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
i think plugin authors (video plugin) should just work on games that haven't really been emulated via video plugin , like i dunno whatever..... forgive me am tired gonna go rest now

M

mark_ole

i would say the standard of video plugins is good generally, its the standard of audio plugins, for 1964 anyway, that are the problem. im just hoping azimers new audio plugin will help.

crhylove

Banned
the main problem imho is that pj64 and 1964 don't truly support multiple plugins as a part of the ini. imagine if for every game you ran, it would select the appropriate plugin and settings from your directory of plugins. yeah, i know, breaks zilmar compat, but what the hell? this would be a way better situation.

rhy

icepir8

crhylove said:
the main problem imho is that pj64 and 1964 don't truly support multiple plugins as a part of the ini. imagine if for every game you ran, it would select the appropriate plugin and settings from your directory of plugins. yeah, i know, breaks zilmar compat, but what the hell? this would be a way better situation.

rhy
I have this on my list of things to do and would be nice to have. But its near the end of the list. I don't think that it would break zilmar's specs, just make it hard for the ini file makers. :)