What's new

cannot initialize d3d hal

DiaBlo666

hi..
hey guys.. ive noticed after trying on diff computer after loading certain games (currently not working on 1.3) some crash .. i know for example if a game isnt supported like dkong racing it say "not supported of course" but games like ogrebattle64 start normally then frooze on intro.. then after that i cant run the emu normally..
it keep sayin that cannot be initialize the d3d hal..i know isnt a video card problem cuz ive tried the same thing over diff games on a geforce2 and winme..

the point is.. im running on a p3 733 with a 8mb video card.. crappy no?.heheh.. i got this prob on this machne.. ok..

now i tried the same thing.. (i got almost every comerciar n64 rom.. i loaded some of them.. like yoshi story, ogrebattle, mario gof, tennis, and a bunch of them ) on a geforce2 32mb p4 @ 1.3 mhz.. after that.. certain games "crash" the video card..

dunno if this is solve in 1.4 beta2.. i hope so..

btw: both pc s running on winme...

OP
D

DiaBlo666

grrrrrrrr
i said i tried it on TWO diff puter so diff video cards..
8mb video card on p3 733 and 32 mb geforce 2 on p4 1.3 ghz..
also i said it the problem occured just after i loaded certain games ...

and.. u why u think is video card??.. gf2 isnt good for emu cu z if not then what should i get for the emu..

flow``

flow``
check for the latest video card drivers (23.11 - nvidia.com) and/or direct x 8.1 (microsoft.com/directx)

Oravla

The same thing happen to me, when i start a game like Zelda MoM and anothers, it crashes my computer, that only happen with the Jabo video plugin, with the RCP video plugin works fine.
This happen in two computers.

How do i configurate this plugin?

Sorry about my english.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
No disrespect at all to anyone but in our experience (our being myself and Jabo), the only people who cannot get the plugin to initialise have a bad Windows/DirectX/Driver installation.. there's not a lot else I can say other than that really.

Acorn

After running certain ap's the 256mbit games will crash my computer also, I've yet to figure out what exactly these are but it only happens after I've played on the computer all day so I'm assuming its something thats not normally there.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Acorn said:
After running certain ap's the 256mbit games will crash my computer also, I've yet to figure out what exactly these are but it only happens after I've played on the computer all day so I'm assuming its something thats not normally there.

can you figure out which apps or anything.. and there's a good chance just that its those apps leaving DX in the wrong state, rather than it being a fault in PJ.... I don't know, I haven't found any apps that do this, but I don't use many either.

demonmind

This is for incase any of you use laptops

First My Specs:
Laptop with PIII 1.13 Intel Speedstep
30 GB
256 RAM
8 MB ATI Radeon (Sucks)
Win2000 pro (Used to run WinXP pro)

Now: I have had all the above errors.
Most of these I've solved with random tinkering with my video card and OS grafix management.
The biggest reason I've noticed why pj64 crashes has to do with what i call memory allocation, rooted from Intel Speedstep.
Speedstep has 2 settings (min and max) for resource usage. If your laptop is left on min resource, pj64 definitely crashes. pj64 only works on max resource usage.
Sometimes your background apps may cause it to crash too. A friend of mine says that while pj64 works wonderfully, if he turns on winamp, it dies.

Acorn

I agree its the aps, not PJ64. I've just never been able to narrow it down cause it happens so.. unpredictably.

Will test it with winamp - but thats prolly cause when winamp is open there is a sound conflict.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Hehe... no one mentioned this, so...

Make sure you have set the color depth to 16- or 32-bit color. Goto the desktop and right-click. Select "Properties". Goto the settings-tab. In the combo-box, select 16- or 32-bit color deph. Click OK to save the settings.

HostLink

Doomulation said:
Make sure you have set the color depth to 16- or 32-bit color. Goto the desktop and right-click. Select "Properties". Goto the settings-tab. In the combo-box, select 16- or 32-bit color deph. Click OK to save the settings.

I hardly believe this can be the cause of a crash...

m0sT_hAt3d

Ahh...please please let the master help (sarcasm)! what you wanna do is restart your computer I get the error all the time after I play games after they crash

bositman

Yeah that happens to me too
e.g. when one of my save states is corrupt and i try to load from it PJ64 crashes and i close it.If i try to re-open it i get the failed to initialize d3d error message every single time until i restart my pc

OP
D

DiaBlo666

ive restarted my pc tons of time and i got same crash..

i think the last game i ran was mario tennis or golf i cant remember..
then i got an this error.. ~region upcode E $%#@%^#$&~~~

after running that on BOTH cumputers i got the cannot initialize the d HAL...
edit: now I remember EXACTLY what game was.. it was mission impossible Spanish version... but i need a way to roll back this issue.. goodn64 say its a good run (!) so dunno whats happen...