What's new

using a tv-out rules!!!!

sk8bloke22

roll for life
been using my pc on the big tv lately, and omg, n64 roms look identical to the n64. its odd cos the tv image seems to blur things a lot, and it means roms look as blurry as the real n64 games. and omg, jabo's plugin is faultless when playing perfect dark 2 player on a 32-inch widescreen tv. it just looks sooo damn good.

OP
sk8bloke22

sk8bloke22

roll for life
not really, my gfx card supports upto 1024x768x32 on a tv ouput, and it supports it just fine. is there anyway to make things sharper tho, its almost impossible to read regular text.

iq_132

Banned
What i mean is that it looks sharper with a highter res, but it is always going to be put into the res of the tv.... I think :)

iq_132

Banned
Take a screenshot of this webpage 1024x768 desktop and shrink it down to like 525x393 and see what it looks like... probably alot like it does on your tv :)

OP
sk8bloke22

sk8bloke22

roll for life
i still dont think so, cos otherwise it wouldnt allow resolutions up to 1024x768x32 in the video options of any application when connected to my tv. for instance, if i use pj64, on jabo's d3d, the highest resolution is 1024x768x32, whereas on my monitor its 1600x1200x32. so im guessing my tv does support 1024x768x32. i think a tv blurs things more tho, it does look like 1024x768, just blurry.

iq_132

Banned
Well... i'm pretty sure I'm right. I don't know how to convince you of this, but only to say that there are a maximum number of lines you can put on a television. If a tv did support that high or a res, why don't we use a tv rather than a computer monitor? You can get a 27 in at walmart for around 200 bucks.. i don't think they even sell 27 in computer monitors, short of a plasma display (Highest I've seen is 24 in. )

nudetothis

I've got a kickass 36" JVC and I still can't get myself to bother with hooking up the TV out. I LIKE the 1280x1024 resolution (ok, its overkill I know) I'm using in PJ64. I've even considered getting the convertor so I can play the Gamecube on the PC monitor.

HDTV has higher res possibilities and I don't have one of those yet, but AFAIK for general purposes iq_132 has it right on this one. The normal TV set most of us own has less than 640x480 capability.

ElGatoAzul

I will add to the chat! XD

I'm totally agree with iq_132.

A normal TV has a 3xx lines (not pixels) (i don't remember the number exactly). This is a very low resolution but is compensed by the TV blur effect ( emulators try to imitate it with the scanlines blitters, but you should already know it). The bigger distance that you should watch the TV helps too. XD .
If you input a 1024 resolution on the video program, it only stretchs the image. The resolution of the tv is the same: 3xx lines.

PS. I prefer to play N64 emulated games on my 14 inch tv than in my 17 inch monitor. XD

Excuse my poor english. I hope you can understand me more or less

iq_132

Banned
nudetothis, thank you for your input, I didn't know that at all... it just makes me hate you even more out of jealousy :)

ElGatoAzul, your english is very good for someone that speaks spanish as a first language. also thank you for your input.

Hopefully you believe them bloke :)
anyway, I had fun

OP
sk8bloke22

sk8bloke22

roll for life
weird my tv out is refusing to work now. dunno if the pins are bent or not, it plugs into the tv-out socket fine. just get a black screen. hope it isnt the 40.41 drivers.

Yoshi

sympathetic dinosaur
sk8bloke22 said:
weird my tv out is refusing to work now. dunno if the pins are bent or not, it plugs into the tv-out socket fine. just get a black screen. hope it isnt the 40.41 drivers.

Yeah, same thing for me, black screen only:( I have tried all drivers w/o results

Anyway a PAL tv (europe) does have a higher resolution than NTSC (usa)

Maximus

I think using TV-out has another problem, the scanlines. No matter how big your TV is (except for a plasma monster), there ARE scanlines making the display blur like hell. You can compare the graphic using any software that support both scanlines and no scanlines and you can definitely see the difference. In my opinion, instead of using TV-out, why don't use a TV tuner? I connect ALL my consoles to my TV tuner and the graphics become very nice.

Eddy

I Run This
bloke you just got a cheap tv. thats all. HD tv has resolution from 1928x1024 or something like that. About the scanlines, they are very light and transparent in HD tv sets, so you wont have to worry about those.

Johann

Chankast rocks ^^
Maybe are the 40.41 drivers. For some unknow reason, i can't acces to the properties of my videocard (geforce2 mx) with that drivers.

iq_132

Banned
I have no problem with the new 40.41 drivers in XP using my Geforce 4 MX 420 (Basically a Geforce 2). It works just fine, just the display control panel for it is a little different.

bodie

yep no problem using the new drivers for me with tv-out.. in fact now nvidia have there act together it's over scan-tastic dudes