What's new

G-Force4 Speculation

RSK

I am wondering if a G-Force4 graphics card will improve the performance of PJ64 in the following areas:

I am now having trouble with the following:

- Time to time slowdown in almost every Rare game and others too, make them in my oppinion less enjoyable.
- Black vehicles in F-Zero X problem still excists for me.

I am seriously considering getting a GF4, if it can fix these issues, cause I really love all of rares games...

And Which GF4 card is the best to get.

tnx:pj64:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The new gfx card will probably enable you to use the highest anti-aliasing avilable, but as for speed, that's a cpu flaw. You need a faster processor for that.

I don't know with f-zero, though.

The geforce4 is in 2 classes:

MX (not very good)
Titanium (also known as Ti, the best but most expensive class)

There's also 3 ti-cards, which is one you should get if you're planning on getting a gf4 card. These are:

4200 (cheapest, but the worst of these cards).
4400 (middle).
4600 (best, but not cheap).

sk8bloke22

roll for life
ti4200's can be clocked to over 4400 speeds and close to ti4600s, and considering u can get them half the price of the ti4600, u cant really go wrong if ur on a budget and want a high-end card.

appartenly abit is releasing a super ti4200 with like massive fans, with claims of beating a stock ti4600 when overclocked. of course these are just claims, but it might be worth waiting a month to see how prices fare with the release of the 9700, and the introduction of these modified ti4200s, such as the abit one.

in terms of emulation, ull be able to get MUCH better image due to high quality AntiAnaliasing and AntiscropicFiltering. however, speed wont increase (not that much anyway). u need a fast cpu for that. anything above 1.2ghz (maybe even slightly under) should run everything full speed, so cpu isnt too big an issue.

u can get ti4200 for around a $100 for a 64 meg card.

the issue over 64 megs and 128 is pretty big tho. 128 meg cards are future proof but are clocked lower, whilst 64 meg cards over-clock the best and are faster stock, but will suffer a lot when games like doom 3 are released. it is possible to get some 128 cards with faster memory, in particular the asus v8420 deluxe model, which is probably the best ti4200 available. stay away from gainward as there cards apparently hav big stability issues. also apparently ledtek ti4200s are terrible overclockers despite a massive fan, cos apparently the fan traps the heat or sumthing.

sk8bloke22 said:
ti4200's can be clocked to over 4400 speeds and close to ti4600s, and considering u can get them half the price of the ti4600, u cant really go wrong if ur on a budget and want a high-end card.
Yeah and you can overclock a ti4600 and make it much more powerful than the overclocked ti4200 lol
But anyway you're right,you can benefit much more buying a 4200
if you consider the prices...
And RSK,you won't gain not even one frame over your GF2MX if you buy a GF4...Same goes and for the quality of emulation.

OP
RSK

RSK

nice to know, then I wonder how I can fix the problem with black cars in f-zero, I saw many people the last days complaining about this issue, but no solution. can anyone with nice coloured f-zero vehicles please post some screenshots combined with their settings and specs??

OP
RSK

RSK

maybe the problem lies in the fact that people think the cars are fully coloured because they never played the real game? cause my cars have some colours, but far from all, which leaves some large black spots on them...

I know that this may sound crazy but try to enable "force normal blending".You shouldn't have this problem with your GF2MX though...

B*A*G*G

Emutalk Member... sorta
i tested f-zero a couple days ago on a geforce2 GTS and the cars were all missing there colors as well.
but the colors all seem to be fine with my gf4 ti4600.
edit:same system, same drivers

i also noticed that zelda Oot slowed down alot at the data select screen when using the gf2 GTS at high resolutions were as the gf4 would render it at full speed.

so i would guess their are compatibility problems if you use anything under a geforce3.

Last edited:

Rice

Emulator Developer
Remember Jabo's latest plugin is for DirectX 6. Every video card supports DirectX 6 should just work fine. Unfortunately, different video cards have slightly different implementation of DirectX 6, some cards support DX6 as whole, some supports it partially, this is the reason why you could have different result with different cards.

I don't think you need to Geforce4 to support DirectX 6, Geforce1/2/TNT should all do it fine, even voodoo3/4/5, of course GF4 could be faster than GF1/2/TNT.

Someone has better color than other ppl with some games, because your video card happens to have better driver, its color combiner/alpha blender implementation is similar to the ones used by the plugin.

OP
RSK

RSK

so after just bying a new comp, I guess i'll have to go out and waste money on a new one, all right people, I get it! 1200 mhz and gforce2 is not enough for N64 emulation.....

OP
RSK

RSK

and "force normal blending" is not an option with the new release....

OP
RSK

RSK

so shall I stick with 4200, 4400, or 4600 GF4 ? and whats the prize for them? and are there a particulair type I shall choose? and is 1200 mhz even enough to get the full potential out of a GF4?

bositman

Ok i think that your pc is powerfull enough,you just need a faster gfx card.I mean with my PIII 1Ghz and Geforce2 GTS i get full speed with all games(2x antialiasing,anisotropic filtering,800x600x16)