What's new

Banjo Tooie - shadow problem

jasonvh

I try not to post too many of these types of messages, but nobody else has mentioned this, and I'm wondering if it's only on my computer this happens.

First of all let me say well done to all the authors of PJ64 1.5. It's a wonderful work of art and I'm so happy to see it finally runs Tooie and Yoshi. I didn't think the original UltraHLE would ever be topped. But this is definately the best N64 Emu I've ever used.

My problem is with Banjo's shadow. When I use Jabo's Direct3D7 1.40 plugin (the best on my system), I get a big dark box that follows Banjo around wherever I move him.

Using other video plugins, such as RCP's Direct3d v0.6, or Unofficial DaedalusD3D8 0.08 Rel. 2, the shadow works perfectly, but most of the other graphics are screwed up.

I've tried playing around with all the video settings to no avail. Has anybody else discovered any settings that fix this problem?

(I know I'll probably get a lot of DON'T EXPECT PERFECTION, JUST BE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU'VE GOT! replies, and I am happy, I just thought I'd check and see. Any help would be appreciated.)

System Specs:
Jabo's Direct3D7 1.40
Jabo's DirectSound 1.40
Jabo's DirectInput7 1.40

P4 1.60 GHz
256MB RAM
RADEON 32MB SDR
DirectX 8.1
WinXP Home Edition

Grunty

Wow I was feeling bad because that Jiggy Wiggy's challenge part runs at 2 frames a second! I'm glad everything else is perfect :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The shadow is a known issue when using 1.4
The solution is to use 1.5 or daedalus or any other plugins that supports tooie. And, as you said, if they don't work, I guess you'll have to put up with that.

But it isn't that bad, is it?

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
Whilst I agree it isn't that hard to hit F5 every 10 min or after a tough part!! The thing that annoyed me was when I tried to Load my game (F7) when the rom booted but actually pressed F5 and lost my whole game!!! Damn idiot

syon

Banjo Tooie runs at 100+ FPS on my system, however, it "skips" continously for some odd reason.

OP
J

jasonvh

Thank you to everyone who helped me with the Banjo's shadow problem. I've switched to the 1.5 plugins and the problem is solved. For some reason, when I first installed PJ64 1.5, I chose to stick with the same plugins I had been using. I was under the impression that Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5 was inferior to Direct3D7 1.4, thinking 3D7 was the later release. O how foolish I was. Thanks again, everyone. (I didn't expect that the pause screens on both Banjo's would be fixed too!)

ShadowFX

Guardian
syon said:
Banjo Tooie runs at 100+ FPS on my system, however, it "skips" continously for some odd reason.

Wasn't it true that when have Limit Frame Skip enabled, it should match about 50 or 60 Hz ingame? Why have 100 anyway, it would skip too many frames which makes it unplayable in my opinion.

Anchel

The Xpaniard
Grunty said:
Wow I was feeling bad because that Jiggy Wiggy's challenge part runs at 2 frames a second! I'm glad everything else is perfect :)
Yes, that is the worst thing of all in the game. It takes such a long time to complete Challenge number 1 (even if the game marks only ten 90 seconds left :plain2: )
Also, I don't get those random crashes. What version are you using? I'm using the European one, wich works perfectly (and I can choose the language in spanish;) )

Rdp

I AM THE AUTHOR OF THE NEW NINTENDO 64 EMULATOR
" TRwin3D " (true reality windows direct3d support)

Anchel

The Xpaniard
<a href="glossary.php?<r=l">LOL</a>!
Now, there we have someone new to laugh at.
LOL

Last edited:

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
Anchal - If you want it over quickly just read the game FAQ and turn off the correct option - A Far easier way to do it!!!

Anchel

The Xpaniard
That works, but I'm still wondering why I don't get the random crashes (of course, I'm not complaining)

Doctor Hades

I have PJ64 1.5 Final with the new 1.5 plugin and I still get the shadow glitch!!! I'm running DX8.1b on an XP/Me system and have a GeForce3 Ti 200 graphics card with the 30.82 WHQL drivers.

OP
J

jasonvh

Anchel said:
Grunty said:
Yes, that is the worst thing of all in the game. It takes such a long time to complete Challenge number 1 (even if the game marks only ten 90 seconds left :plain2: )
Also, I don't get those random crashes. What version are you using? I'm using the European one, wich works perfectly (and I can choose the language in spanish;) )

Here's how I work around this problem. When I get to a puzzle part, I hit F5 and save. Then I switch video plug-ins to D3D7. Then restore the saved game. I play the puzzle using D3D7, which runs at full speed, but you don't see any picture in the puzzle. Just a colorful pattern. Then when I'm done, I save and switch back to D3D6 and continue.
It may not be a solution, but it's a good work-around.

Grunty

Thanks, I'll try that next time. Though I'm impressed the emulator can make that bit work properly at all, Project 64 is one amazing piece of software!

Smiff

Emutalk Member
will people PLEASE read the GameFAQ. There's no need for all this plugin switching. Also (while im in whine mode) you are comparing v1.5 with v1.4, NOT "D3D6" with "D3D7".. the directx version is utterly irrelevant for most purposes.