What's new

XBOX emulation, sooner than expected?

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
Not bad - I hope it is real cos this would be great!!!!!
I already have an X-Box so I am really looking forward to this !!

blizz

it is expected that you will need about a 750mhz processor and a capable video card in order to emulate most xbox software.

they have a long long way to go then, a 750 mhz PC will not emulate an X-Box even using a "wrapper" system, because the X-Box's kernel has lower system overheads than that of Win98, let alone 2000 and XP, I'd guess you'd probably need a 2ghz maybe 1.5 at least with this "wrapper" system, that should be a little hint that something isn't right there

DarkKnight38

The original
EDIT: I probably jumped the gun on that one. I'm going to withold all judgement till much later.

Last edited:

caustik

allow me to retort...

first of all, i have no intention to offend blizz...but he either does not know what he is talking about or is exaggerating. there is no reason to believe at this point that xbox emulation will require a processor much faster than ~700mhz. not only will many of the wrappers be paper thin and require minimal overhead, but many may actually be significantly faster than the actual xbox.

secondly, there is no "these guys" about it. cxbx is written by one person. myself. there are many others who contribute knowledge and propose ideas, but the code is all written by one person. i am very serious about this project, but i make no promises. cxbx is a project with the intentions of emulating the xbox on a pc. that is all that can be said. support of the project will help this happen faster, and negative unfounded criticism will only hinder progress.

peace,
caustik

http://www.caustik.com

blizz

you've vastly underestimated the overhead the Windows OS will put on top of the system specs of an X-Box, despite a paper thin wrapper I can assure you the windows OS uses more system resources than the kernel in the X-Box will (or should), that's a given, and you have to take that into account

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
caustik - I wish you well the X-Box is a console that I believe will be emulated!! It just needed someone to take on emulating it/ So good luck to you I have added your site to my favourites list and eagerly await more news of your progress!!!

Reznor007

caustik said:
allow me to retort...

first of all, i have no intention to offend blizz...but he either does not know what he is talking about or is exaggerating. there is no reason to believe at this point that xbox emulation will require a processor much faster than ~700mhz. not only will many of the wrappers be paper thin and require minimal overhead, but many may actually be significantly faster than the actual xbox.

secondly, there is no "these guys" about it. cxbx is written by one person. myself. there are many others who contribute knowledge and propose ideas, but the code is all written by one person. i am very serious about this project, but i make no promises. cxbx is a project with the intentions of emulating the xbox on a pc. that is all that can be said. support of the project will help this happen faster, and negative unfounded criticism will only hinder progress.

peace,
caustik

http://www.caustik.com

I fail to see how you are going to do graphics and sound emulation. The .xbe only contains statically linked D3D and Dsound commands, that is, register level commands, not API commands, and since the dev kit is updated fairly often, the commands are changed all the time. Since nVidia has not released the register level specs/info for the Geforce3/4/MCP Sound DSP, how do you plan on doing that?

iq_132

Banned
The thing with an X-box game is that it's got a pretty good resolution 1920x1080... depending on the game... that might slow a 700 mhz p3 down just a touch :). and you won't be able to adjust the resolution... at least not from what i can see. A pretty damn good graphics card and high quality monitor would be nice... preferribly a card a speed of at least a 250Mhz.
I agree... it technically shouldn't take much to get an X-box game running, but it would take a lot of hacking to get the platform specific code out or emulated... (I think... don't quote me.... I'm no Rice or Jabo). and... you don't think microsoft will put in some sort of copy protection in their newer games?
Don't they own Macrovision or something?
It will probably be eventually hacked, but it'll take a while like Banjo-tooie. Downloading an X-Box game will be fun too... It'll probably be a huuuugggggggggeeee download.. even 5 years from now when the X-box is obsolete.
X-box emulation possible?... probably yes... soon?... maybe... perfect?... never.

Reznor007

iq_132 said:
The thing with an X-box game is that it's got a pretty good resolution 1920x1080... depending on the game... that might slow a 700 mhz p3 down just a touch :). and you won't be able to adjust the resolution... at least not from what i can see. A pretty damn good graphics card and high quality monitor would be nice... preferribly a card a speed of at least a 250Mhz.
I agree... it technically shouldn't take much to get an X-box game running, but it would take a lot of hacking to get the platform specific code out or emulated... (I think... don't quote me.... I'm no Rice or Jabo). and... you don't think microsoft will put in some sort of copy protection in their newer games?
Don't they own Macrovision or something?
It will probably be eventually hacked, but it'll take a while like Banjo-tooie. Downloading an X-Box game will be fun too... It'll probably be a huuuugggggggggeeee download.. even 5 years from now when the X-box is obsolete.
X-box emulation possible?... probably yes... soon?... maybe... perfect?... never.

Umm...so far the highest resolution Xbox game is only 480P...supposedly Panzer Dragoon Orta will support 1080I however.

Reznor007

iq_132 said:
Did i not say "Depending on the game" and "don't quote me?"

Really... you should read what you quote.

You might want to look under the "resolution" or "Maximum resolution" sections of these pages... hmmm. Maybe you can educate yourself a little more on the X-Box's specs :)

http://www.xsnake.com/specs.html
http://videogames.about.com/library/weekly/blxboxspecs.htm

I know more about Xbox than I care to, thanks. And the way you worded your post, those 2 lines were not related at all. The part about resolution was in a totally separate paragraph from the part about emulation...I was answering the part about resolution, but you had to go off on a post like that.

Just to nitpick since you seem to want to irritate me. It's a 733MHz Celeron+SSE instructions. Also, 3d resolution has nothing to do with CPU power, that is purely on the GPU.

By saying that it technically shouldn't take much to emulate an Xbox, it proves you don't know what you are talking about.

Macrovision is not owned by MS, and wouldn't do a thing for copy protection of games. It works by messing with the AGC of a video device to cause bright/dark changes and colored lines in the picture.

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
Caustik do not take this as an offence but why have there not been hype about an X-Box emu everywhere - Ie NGemu Emu64 etc - This is genuine I feel so why is no one posting about it!!!