What's new

Overclocking, Good Or Bad?

thecraft

Alice in Chains Fan
Well, as the topic states, would it be good or bad? I want my Vid. Card to be Overclocked, but I heard if you don't have a good fan it will burn out? That true? But anyways, I got a fan and whenever I touch the casing, it usually the same as the room temp. And then there is this friend that has a fan but an older PC and if I touch that one it's like you left it out in the sun for a half-hour.

BTW: This will sound stupid, but... how do I overclock stuff. :D Don't laugh...

M

mann

very true and as someone said it will make your pc faulty and error full

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
it is both good and bad. just make sure you overclock in small steps just to be on the safe side. if you want to overclock your tnt2, use rivatuner.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
I Oced my vid card to 170/170, and my k6-2 500 to 600 (yes 600 :)) i sisnt know that by using 2.0 multiplier will make cxt k6-2s to believe it's 6.0. What im trying to get at is, as long as you have good airflow, then it's a blessing. i got a hefty speed increase by doing this :) :satisfied

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK, You can overclock safely with most Nvidia cards provided they have a decent fan, but dont go too far. If it does start freezing lower it a bit. If you go waaay over the top then it will burn your card. You should also note that overclocking will void any warranty and IS detectable. A card producer can detect if a card has been overclocked at all even if the card was not being overclocked when it broke, therefore if you overclock now and then move it back to normal later and something goes wrong with the card, your screwed cause your warranty is gone. A lot of newer cards come with lifetime warranties like mine and I'm not about to risk it.

OP
thecraft

thecraft

Alice in Chains Fan
Eagle said:
A card producer can detect if a card has been overclocked at all even if the card was not being overclocked when it broke, therefore if you overclock now and then move it back to normal later and something goes wrong with the card, your screwed cause your warranty is gone. A lot of newer cards come with lifetime warranties like mine and I'm not about to risk it.

I'll probably buy a cheap 32MB (or 64) GeForce 2 (possibly a GeForce 3) and have it on backup in case it burns out. I won't mind losing a TNT2. But how much do I have to expect to pay for a GeForce 2? And might as well get an extra 128MB of SDRAM for 20$ ??? I'll see, I just add little by little, and probably not at all if i don't get a GeForce 2.

Actually, i'll just put in a big-arse fan :) Got 2 many of those laying around.

Last edited:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
hehe, im getting a whole new pc in january. This is just a temporary solution, and the heat isn't bad because i have SUPER cooling (not just fans :thumbsup: )

Josep

eyerun4phun
keep everything cool and read up on your stuff and overclocking is very fun, althoug it can get very exspensive;) water cooling kit pre-installed in a case as i have seen is over $360:cry:

Allnatural

I've had my T-bird overclocked from 1000 to 1133 MHz @ 1.85 volts for the past year now. Doin' just fine with nothing more than a GlobalWin HSF. :)

Something to keep in mind when overclocking a video card. The benefits are nominal at best in my experience. A few extra frames here and there, some additional 3d Mark points. I'm not sure it's really worth it in the long run. Sometimes you just gotta do it though. :cool:

For testing stability, I've been using Artifact Tester for a while now. Good program.:thumbsup:

Slougi

Erm Eagle, afaik overclocking is not detectable. Never heard of it being detectable at least. It's a driver setting, it doesn't alter anything on the card itself. Of course, if u do something like buy a LE radeon and flash it with the retail bios....

OP
thecraft

thecraft

Alice in Chains Fan
OK, Well, I think I got a good fan, my PC has been running for about 4-6 hours and the casing is still cooler than the room temp. which is usually slighty hotter than the room.

But first, in the PC world, I'm bad at knowledge in hardware and good in software. (Vice Versa in the Consle World, good at hardware, bad at software) Should I use low level hardware or driver level hardware to overclock? Should I overclock Memory or Core (to gain speed with little cost of quality) And finally, how much do you mean by little bits? 10MHz? (Sorry for my typos)

Slougi

Most current vid cards benefit more from memory overclocking, but u can of course oc both ;) Little step = 10 Mhz, yeah. after increasing clock speed run 3dmark2000/2001. If it starts looking funny back it down around 5 Mhz.

M

mann

i oced my gf 4 mx 420 to 300mhz and i played crazi taxi and the graphics where all rank so i put it back to 250

OP
thecraft

thecraft

Alice in Chains Fan
Now I got a problem, RivaTuner Shows My TNT2 is clocked at 125MHz, but at www.nvidia.com it states TNT2 should be clocked at 150MHz, who's right? And if I enable Overclocking with RivaTuner wouldn't that LOWER the speed? (Since it would set it to 125MHz)

Stezo2k

S-2K
well depends, there are probably different Tnt2's with different Ram etc.... but if nvidia say it should be @ 150Mhz try it, u can always go back :)

Stez

OP
thecraft

thecraft

Alice in Chains Fan
Actually, RivaTuner was right, I just found out I had a shitty M64 TNT2!!! WHY ME??? :cry: :cry: But I Oced it today... and I have to say... overclocking ownz!!! I just added 10Mhz and my games are running visually smoother...

Last edited:

Stezo2k

S-2K
thecraft said:
Actually, RivaTuner was right, I just found out I had a shitty M64 TNT2!!! WHY ME??? :cry: :cry: But I Oced it today... and I have to say... overclocking ownz!!! I just added 10Mhz and my games are running visually smoother...

why not get a powerful GeForce 2 TI/MX they kick ass :) and the price is a steal, its around £30/40 :) i paid £100 for mine a quite long time ago, well worth it :)

Stez