What's new

Infected

L

Lachp30

Hi

My old computer, Dell Pentuim 2, is infected with the w92.funlove virus. I have virus scanned, and eliminated the virus in most programs, but 6 .exe files cannot be fixed. One includes explorer.exe. I have tryed to get updates for NAV, but the virus seems to stop the computer from doing that. I have a program that should get rid of the virus, but it runs in DOS, and i really don't use DOS.

Help!???

OP
L

Lachp30

Uh thats what i use 'NAV' Nortan - Anti - Virus

Stezo2k

S-2K
Lachp ... it looks like u will have to format that hard drive if u cant get rid of it and next time make sure you have the latest norton antivirus and definitions & Auto protect is on. This will almost guarentee ur pc wont be affected from viruses

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
No you don't have to format!

You say this is on your old computer, so im assuming that you have another (possibly "newer") system. On your other computer open Norton Anti-Virus and create some rescue disks. Now, write protect the disks so that the virus has no chance to copy itself to the floppies, and stick the first rescue disk into the drive at start-up.

It will give you some options when you boot-up, look for one to scan for virus' and sit back while is does its magic!

The scan will take a really really long time compaired to a reg Windows based scan, so I hope you have some time :p

OP
L

Lachp30

Malcolm said:
No you don't have to format!

You say this is on your old computer, so im assuming that you have another (possibly "newer") system. On your other computer open Norton Anti-Virus and create some rescue disks. Now, write protect the disks so that the virus has no chance to copy itself to the floppies, and stick the first rescue disk into the drive at start-up.

It will give you some options when you boot-up, look for one to scan for virus' and sit back while is does its magic!

The scan will take a really really long time compaired to a reg Windows based scan, so I hope you have some time :p

Malcolm, im affraid my NAV is completley infected, and it usually freezes when i try to scan other files, so if it froze when doing the boot disk start up resucue disk idea, it might damage the system.

I have a newer system, P4 2.0ghz, this is on my P2 300mhz, but it has some very important infected files on it:(

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
yes, on the uninfected computer create some system recovery disks (you'll need about 3 floppies).

ones you've done that take the floppies over to your infected computer and boot with the recover floppies. Now just follow the on screen instructings.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Lachp30 said:
Malcolm, im affraid my NAV is completley infected, and it usually freezes when i try to scan other files, so if it froze when doing the boot disk start up resucue disk idea, it might damage the system.

I have a newer system, P4 2.0ghz, this is on my P2 300mhz, but it has some very important infected files on it:(

No it wont damage your computer to freeze on boot. And since the rescue disks boot to a DOS type prompt, it probably wont freeze. If you make a set of clean rescue disks from the good computer, then when you boot, the disks your booting off of are not infected so it shouldnt freeze. The reason it is freezing is because your are booting from and infected HD.

Last edited:

thecraft

Alice in Chains Fan
If it crashes in while booting up, Windows will restart itself in Safe Mode. Nothing to it, tweak some stuff in the Control Panel if you want and then restart again... That is if you can get into windows.

OP
L

Lachp30

Im just going to format...i dont want to fuck up anything else.

Davemc

Dave
i formatted my comp yesterday coz i was pissed off with 98 crashing when i was playing zsnes online, seems to be working again now

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
You must be downloading some crazy shit...I havent used a bloatware virus scanner in somewhere over 2 years and haven't had a single problem.

Quite honestly I laugh at people who have to depend on virus scanners and soft firewalls to protect themselves :D