What's new

hey jabo and zilmar

gokuss4

Meh...
is there any way you can make pj64 at least almopst or fully compatible with 3dfx cards like a voodoo3 3000 16mb? I mean i cant afford to get even a nvidia geforce 2 MX 64mb, so do you think there is a way? :( oh yeah my sytem specs

900mhz amd athlon
voodoo3 3000 16mb
256mb SDRAM
vortex AU10 sound card
direct X8.1

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
If you can afford a 900Mhz athlon, how can you not afford a $30 graphics card? Anyway, no, there is no chance of any kind of Voodoo support greater than what there is already. Sorry. ???

OP
G

gokuss4

Meh...
to answer the amd athlon 900mhz question. i wanted to get a 900mhz amd athlon before i get a new graphics card besides i used to have 433mhz celeron so i had a huge upgrade for my computer and DARN oh well i'll wait until i get the money to get an nvidia geforce 3 128mb.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
gokuss4 said:
to answer the amd athlon 900mhz question. i wanted to get a 900mhz amd athlon before i get a new graphics card besides i used to have 433mhz celeron so i had a huge upgrade for my computer and DARN oh well i'll wait until i get the money to get an nvidia geforce 3 128mb.
Whoa! No need to get a geforce3 - it's pretty expensive yet! GeForce2 Mx400 or GTS Pro will do fine.

OP
G

gokuss4

Meh...
actually i can get an nvidia geforce 3 Ti200 for $180 and thats a lot better than the geforce 2 MX400. the geforce 2 MX is like a celeron type of thing which means it may have good graphics but not that fast, thats why a geforce 3 ti200 is faster and better.

THE AUTHORITY

actually i can get an nvidia geforce 3 Ti200 for $180 and thats a lot better than the geforce 2 MX400. the geforce 2 MX is like a celeron type of thing which means it may have good graphics but not that fast, thats why a geforce 3 ti200 is faster and better.

See, here's the thing that gets me. Speaking from a strictly performance issue - HOW FAST DO YOU REALLY NEED SOMETHING TO GO? I mean honestly. How many 64mb games are there out there right now, or what programs really MUST have the speed that some people want to get out of these "higher-end" video-cards. Thats just something I can't understand. To use the celeron example to make a point - I upgraded my comp from a PII 366mhz to a 1.4ghz AMD Athlon. Why? Because there was no readily available PIII 700mghz or even a 800. I've used machines with half what I have and I can tell you there wasn't much difference. So when it came down to spending money on a video-card, the thought did creep into my head to get some 250 dollar card, but then I saw the GeForce2 for 75 bucks, vs. 199 for ATI's, and basically said "Hell Yea"...and I haven't regretted it since. I feel the people noticing the change between certain cards are the ones who get antsy with 16bit vs 32bit display settings.

Of course, no offense meant by that last comment.

EXCELSIOR.

Moonlight

On a purely performance point of view, even my old R128Pro is mostly sufficient to maintain decent frame rates in :pj64: and if it weren't for the graphics glitches, I would probably be sticking with that card for a long little while.

(I got a VIVO Fury Pro for about $100 USD over a year ago mostly because I needed VIVO on a budget. If ATI would release a VIVO Radeon 7500, I might consider an early upgrade.)

I hope PJ64 1.4 will [unintentionally(?)] help a bit when it's ready.

(I have no plan to put any money on a vidcard 'till late 2002... at which time I might be considering the 8500-AIW if there's no VIVO variation of the 8500 by then)

Eagle

aka Alshain
THE AUTHORITY said:

See, here's the thing that gets me. Speaking from a strictly performance issue - HOW FAST DO YOU REALLY NEED SOMETHING TO GO? I mean honestly. How many 64mb games are there out there right now, or what programs really MUST have the speed that some people want to get out of these "higher-end" video-cards. Thats just something I can't understand. To use the celeron example to make a point - I upgraded my comp from a PII 366mhz to a 1.4ghz AMD Athlon. Why? Because there was no readily available PIII 700mghz or even a 800. I've used machines with half what I have and I can tell you there wasn't much difference. So when it came down to spending money on a video-card, the thought did creep into my head to get some 250 dollar card, but then I saw the GeForce2 for 75 bucks, vs. 199 for ATI's, and basically said "Hell Yea"...and I haven't regretted it since. I feel the people noticing the change between certain cards are the ones who get antsy with 16bit vs 32bit display settings.

EXCELSIOR.

Two Words... Anistrophic Filtering.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
THE AUTHORITY said:

EXCELSIOR.
WTF?! How did you get GeForce3 that cheap?!
The reason I said not to get it was because it's so expensive it's not worth it since GeForce2 works very well. But, of course, GeForce3 offers hell-of-a-lot more speed. If it's so cheap, then go for the 3!

Eagle

aka Alshain
Doomulation said:

WTF?! How did you get GeForce3 that cheap?!
The reason I said not to get it was because it's so expensive it's not worth it since GeForce2 works very well. But, of course, GeForce3 offers hell-of-a-lot more speed. If it's so cheap, then go for the 3!

I got my Geforce 3 Ti200 for about $180, its the cheapest one. Its not as fast as a Geforce 3 but its faster than a GF2Ultra. And it has all the features of a GF3.

B*A*G*G

Emutalk Member... sorta
unless your really in to PC-games theres no real reason to own a geforce3 yet. it just always seems like whatever high priced video card you own most modern pc games run choppy as fuck regardless (could be my lust for super high resolutions tho).
i just wish pc games were more optimized to use higher frame rates insted of using heavy textures.

OP
G

gokuss4

Meh...
ok the visiontek or nvidia geforce 3 64mb Ti500 AGP4x is the best video card out there for like 300$! it has 256 bit 960 billion operations per second 64mb of memory 250mhz clock speed. NOW THAT WILL LAST YOU FOR YEARS TO COME!!!!

Slougi

I', looking forward to the 8500DV. That will be a nice card :) Just have to check if Ati's driver still suck when it comes out... ???

Moonlight

One can always hope.

That's what is really starting to tick me off with ATI... potentially great hardware but the drivers and apps often turn out to be party busters.

In my case, satisfactory drivers for my RagePro and Rage128 came out almost two years after the cards. Having decent drivers once the card is almost totally obsolete is _really_ useful.

Well, at least the lag appears to be down to under a single year with the Radeons.

ceedj

Pencil Neck Geek
Moonlight said:
One can always hope.

That's what is really starting to tick me off with ATI... potentially great hardware but the drivers and apps often turn out to be party busters.

Oy vey. I've got an All In Wonder Why I Paid That Much 128 (32MB, I think). I got updated drivers from the website when I bought the card in Feb 2001, and it killed the sound on my TV app. Not so bad when you want to mute Lawler's "PUPPIES! PUPPIES!" syndrome, but annoying nonetheless.

I'm also less than thrilled aboot how ATI changes file associations for certain things, like the CD player for instance. As Moonlight said, the newest drivers (as of 10/2001) seem to be pretty good, but jumping through hoops to get them is not the best way to build repeat business.

On the other hand, the Radeon commercial is kinda funny.

Later,
Ceedj
www.bobobwrestling.com
www.cj-ambrosia.com

linker

Emutalk Member
I thought that this is a Pj64 forum. And one more word ->
here is my ranking

tnt->savage->tnt2->geforce mx100->geforce 256->geforce mx200->geforce mx->geforce mx400->geforce 2 gts->radeon->geforce 2 pro->gf2 ultra->radeon 7500->gf3 ti200->radeon 8500->gf3->gf3 ti500

Also, if you want to talk about graphic cards go to some hardware forum, not to pj's (cause the main question was: "is there any way you can make pj64 at least almost or fully compatible with 3dfx cards" and the last one was: "Oy vey. I've got an All In Wonder Why I Paid That Much 128 (32MB, I think)"
).