What's new

Windows XP Pro, how to recover it?

Rice

Emulator Developer
My laptop has Windows XP Professional. It crashes a few times because of the battery and power supply. Today when I boot it, command line CHKDSK asked me to do disk check and losing file fixing, I was stupid to follow it, and resulted a dead system.

It can not boot anymore, during the boot, msg tells that there are missing critial system files, like Shell32.dll, so boot won't finish.

Anyone has experience to recovery such Win XP system. It is not FAT32, but NTFS5. I don't have boot floppy disks for NTFS. I have recovery CD ROM but I don't want to use it because it will erase the whole hard disk. And I can not get access to the files on C driver because it is NTFS system, can not be read by DOS boot floppy.

Please help.

Rice

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
You have some un-backed up source code on there don't you? :)

Beware, the NT recovery console realy sucks, thus far I haven't been able to manipulate files with spaces in them (hitting tab for autocomplete doesn't work), and the majority of the old dos commands you are used to (e.g. deltree to name one) do not work, I honestly don't understand why MS didn't use the regular command.com shell with a ramdrive holding all of the dos tools.

Your best bet is to either do a full blown repair install, or if you have another desktop PC with XP/2K, mount that hard drive into it using a 44 pin to 40 pin converter, as it can read the NTFS volumes just fine, and you can just pull out whatever vital files you had.

Pretty cheap for a converter, look here:
http://www.cablesonline.net/44pinto40pin.html

Last edited: