What's new

win2000 compatibility

thine_impalor

Local spammer
I wanted to know what kind of compatibility problems r there with win2000.....
1. Do DOS games work on it?
2. Do most Win98/Me programs work on it?
I don't have XP, however, I CAN get Win 2000 and I'm getting SICK of ME. I should have stuck with Win98......

Olger901

Banned
Hi there

1 Certain Dos games do work others don't there isn't an exact compatability list for it.

2 For me (I have been using Windows XP almost the same as 2k) I haven't gotten any compatability issues yet.

3 A smarter idea for you would be to install win98 back on your machine if you play lots of dos games

zorbid

For DOS games, win2k is the worst M$ os you can find (or is it winME?). Even WinXP is more "DOS compliant". Few games work, and unless you have a real SB16 or SB32 ISA card installed (I don't know if PCI cards work), you won't get any sound.

But there are workarounds :)

- DOSBox is a pc + dos emulator for windows, compatibility is not bad.

- VDMS emulates a sound blaster under win2k/XP.

- you can make a dedicated FAT32(or FAT16) partition, and use a boot disk to boot your computer. You can find a good boot disk @ http://www.shinod7.com . The site is in french, the current boot disk is in french too, but it is gonna be translated in English.
It gives you 620 ko of conventionnal memory, and there is a plugin system for the sound cards, you only have to dl the one that fits your card :) (if it is supported). It has a shortcut menu system that includes moslo.

Last edited:
OP
thine_impalor

thine_impalor

Local spammer
thanx:)

thanx for ur help guys..yeah i PLAN to have Win98 as a secondary OS on another drive...
however, do the older Win95 games work on Win2k??(yeah i like old games a lot:D)
btw, thanx for the utilities, i wanted something like the sound emulator for a long time:)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Olger901 said:
Hi there

1 Certain Dos games do work others don't there isn't an exact compatability list for it.

This is the second person I have contradicted and publicly humiliated on this forum this week, somebody needs to get me back one of these days :happy: :

http://www.ntcompatible.com/comp.php?cat=games&idx=0

Yeah sure the list isn't complete, but its got most of old stuff that people still play. If you notice, some of these games work in 2K but not XP, so much for improved compatibility ???

Olger901

Banned
Hey Alphawolf

I use Win XP Pro and I use a program called Mugen and it is a Dos program runs perfectly with sound

I played tombraider 1 in Win XP works perfectly

I even play commander keen 4 in Win XP and it works, the only problem is I don't have sound with Commander Keen 4 and I don't use any dos emu

So IT IS POSSIBle :p:p:p in Windows XP to play very old dos games no matter what :p :happy: :sly: