What's new

Eagle, j00 are wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
In your quiz you asked,
What are FAT, NTFS, and CDFS?

Either this is a trick question (?) or you are wrong, ;) CDFS is not a filesystem, unlike the other two.

ISO9660 (or joliet, which is merely an extention to iso9660) and UDF are filesystems used on cdroms. CDFS is merely microsofts 32-bit driver implimentation for 9X/NT which replaces MSCDEX (which actualy mounted a cdrom drive as a read only network drive) :happy:

Sorry, I just felt like being a geek today.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yes but CDFS actually stands for Compact Disc File System, so microsoft had intended for people to call it a file system. It may not act like typical file systems, but it is a file system by microsofts own definition.

Last edited:
OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Nah that can't be right, labeling it CDFS is another one of MS' ways to "hide" whats realy going on to the user. (not that thats necessarily a bad thing) Compact Disk File System, if anything other than a driver, would be a layer, because simply put, it is not a file system, its a peice of software code. ???

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well actually Jaz, I'm saying he is both right and wrong. It isnt technically a file system because it doesnt work like a HD file system but yet its called a file system so it is a file system. And then others call MSCDEX a file system for CD-Roms as well so its really not anything official, but just how its refered to.

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Heh...well, just because everybody commonly calls a porpoise a dolphin doesn't mean its true; although the two have otherwise subliminal differences, they are distinctly different. Likewise, in our case, what CDFS is doesn't come near to what an actual filesystem is, so you might call it what you want however much you want, but that still doesn't change what it is :D

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
AlphaWolf said:
Heh...well, just because everybody commonly calls a porpoise a dolphin doesn't mean its true; although the two have otherwise subliminal differences, they are distinctly different. Likewise, in our case, what CDFS is doesn't come near to what an actual filesystem is, so you might call it what you want however much you want, but that still doesn't change what it is :D

I fully agree with you.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Oh nevermind, hes right, but what I had in mind was right too, its just a different way of thinking. Anyway, if it makes you happy the quiz question now reads...

What are FAT and NTFS?

Eagle

aka Alshain
AlphaWolf said:
if you need a third example, add ext2, bfs, hpfs, etc ;)

Well the answer mentions that Windows uses those file systems, are those other file systems from other OS's I'm afraid I dont know much about anything other than Windows & DOS

Eagle

aka Alshain
Ya know, I dont think the addition of CDFS to the question would have made you miss it when you otherwise wouldn't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.