What's new

2 Operating Systems on one Computer

demon

xbox is shit
I am thinking to put 2 operating systems on one hard drive on seperate partitions. I want to have WinXP and Win98, so that I can play a larger number of games without as many compatability issues.

I was wondering is it just as simple as putting one OS on your computer, just making another partition and putting a second OS on that? I heared that WinXP makes a menu option in the start menu so that you can switch between them. Is this true?

Thanks for all your help.

Allnatural

It is simple. Just make sure you install Win98 first.

And yes, WinXP will create a bootloader for you.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yeah, like he said, always install the oldest OS first and then install the newer OS and it will configure the dual boot section automatically. Just make sure you choose the right partition to install it. After installing both, in Windows XP right click "My Computer" and click "Properties" (or Control Pannel -> System) then Click the "Advanced" tab and under "Startup and Recovery" click "Settings". If you dont intend to use Win98 often then for a faster bootup set "Time to display list of operating systems" to 5 seconds. This way if you dont choose an OS if 5 secs XP will boot up anyway. You can click Edit and actually change the names you see in the list of OS' but dont change anything except the names between the quotes. For example, when I installed, I changed the OS name from "Win98" which is the default to "Windows 98 Second Edition". There is one other option worth mentioning that isnt related to the dual boot, In the event of a system failure, Windows XP reboots automatically. You can turn that off here. If I get a crash, I'd rather see the blue screen so I know it is a crash rather than it just restart all of the sudden and me not know what happened. Although with XP I rarely get a blue screen anyway.

I hope all of this helps, Good Luck.

OP
demon

demon

xbox is shit
Thats a really useful tutorial on how to install 2 operating systems on a PC with Partition Magic. I got that on a cd and I will isntall it and use that tutorial when I am coming around to setting it all up. And thanks Eagle for your help.