What's new

Gamecube Prob!!

Josep

eyerun4phun
Ok, i switched my gamecube from component cables--back to the standard red-white-and yellow cables, but when i went back to my component cables i can't select progressive scan mode when i start up smash brothers or eternal darkness!! wtf? anyone know whats up with that?

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
hehe, seriously though, i'm ticked that it won't go back to progressive mode, there is supposed to be a special selection option for each game that has it, and you can enable it when it asks on the game startup, but i don't get that now!:(

Macca

i really don't know but didn't you have to like hold b or something during the startup to get it into progressive?

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
hehe, no you guys are wrong;) hehe, check out nintendo.com, holding b is for interlaced mode, or however you spell it;) Obviously no one is using progressive scan in here:(

I'm using the red, yellow and white into a scart adaptor and it works for me.

hehe, ya dork that has nothing to do with getting progressive scan to work!:):happy:

gokuss4

Meh...
ahh i see, the regular stereo av cables i think do not give progressive scan, besides, component cables are a lot better anyways, plus they HAVE progressive scan and they give a 480p progressive scan value allowing for a clearer picture.

Component Video Cable
Almost all modern HDTV’s use this to input a progressive scan signal. These cables do the exact same job as the D Terminal cables, but are much more popular. Gamers who have this will be able to input a 480p progressive scan signal, which gives you an overall better picture. Audio cables will be required to be used from the analog output on the back of GameCube.

S-Video AV Cable
These cables should be familiar to everyone that's owned either a N64 or SNES (Super Famicom), because they are the exact same kind of cables! These cables offer a clearer picture similar to component video cables, but they don't have progressive scan functionality. Nintendo will most likely not include these with the sale of the GameCube.

Stereo AV Cable
These cables should be familiar to everyone that's owned either a N64 or SNES (Super Famicom), because they are the exact same kind of cables! These are the most standard AV cables and work on almost all TV sets. With past consoles Nintendo has included these in the package, but whether they do that this time or not is still uncertain.

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Progressive is only for the select few that have HDTVs, but it realy doesnt make a huge difference, if any, over a regular s-video wire (well, not to me anyways), so I wouldn't bother. It realy makes a difference if you use RGB though, which is what you should be using in the first place with an HDTV.

Last edited:
OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
AlphaWolf said:
Progressive is only for the select few that have HDTVs, but it realy doesnt make a huge difference, if any, over a regular s-video wire (well, not to me anyways), so I wouldn't bother. It realy makes a difference if you use RGB though, which is what you should be using in the first place with an HDTV.

first off, you can't say it makes a difference until you see it;) Because it makes an insanely big difference, wish i could post some screen shots but that would require me to take pictures and too much of a hassle;) Annnd my HDTV does not have rgb inputs anyway, ANNND US and JAP versions of the gamecube don't have rgb cable support yet, unless they do, someone better fill me in on that!!:)

/me slaps Alphawolf for thinking progressive scan and component cables don't make a difference;)

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
ooo yea, still can't get it to work correctly with my tv!! no one knows?!:(

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
Reznor007 said:
Make sure only the component video cable is hooked up, and hold b while turning on the system. In Jap/US models this is progressive mode, in Euro models it is PAL60Hz.

There are mods for Gamecube to support RGB and VGA though.

http://atarilabs.com/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.cgi?SID=

trust me;) i've read the shit about how to make the component cables as rgb cables, NO FLIPIN way i could do that! I forgot the link i saw of it, had step by step instructions, i'm just hoping nintendo or some 3rd party will release an rgb cable for the us version of gamecube;)

Check to see if the game you are playing is set to progressive scan mode. If it is, try changing it to interlace mode. To do this, load the game disc into the system and hold down the B button of the controller while turning on the system.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gcn_trouble_blank.html

thats what nintendo says about holding b down, i don't know which version they are talking about, but i'm guessing cause its in english its probably for the US console, which is NOT progressive scan!:( Plus i've already done that like 20 times;)

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
err, still not working!!:( any suggestions?? n/m, the b button thing does work...hehe, whatever;)

Last edited: