What's new

Project 64 vs. 1964

Rocketman_mab

:pj64: vs. :1964:

I'm just wondering what the difference is with these two emus.
When I got both of these programs they seemed to set up the same way and use the same plug-ins. It also seemed that they played the same games. So what's the deal? Is one better than the other? If so, which one? :sly: Does one work with more games than the other? So many questions......

Smiff

Emutalk Member
pretty much everything about them is different, it's just they both have very compatible cores, so they both run lots of games... but the compat is not identical... the plugins included are very different. the development and code is quite seperate.. so there will be lots and lots of differences, mostly quite subtle. Most users seem to show a strong preference for one or the other.

Last edited:

crhylove

Banned
actually....

i would tend to disagree with the "strong preference" argument.

in a nutshell:
pj64 is more stable, and you have to remember that the best current plugins came with IT.

1964 is faster, under more heavy development, and has the 32 bit core, which aside from making it LOADS faster in some games, makes it actually playable on some lower end machines.

basically, if you want today's emu that ain't too hard to setup go pj, otherwise, 1964. and in a week or so, DEFINITELY go 1964.

but at this point it's all about the plugins anyway....

/me drools waiting for the next strmn/rice plug...

w00t

Smiff

Emutalk Member
"in a week or two, definately 1964" - what is that supposed to mean. I knew this thread would rapidly turn gay no matter how hard i try to keep it level... these things are so complicated, with so many areas to consider, that there will never be a simply "best" emulator... i'm tempted to lock this because going from past experience people are probably incapable of discussing this properly... let's move to general - mods there have fun have eh.

Last edited:

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
{sorry this is so long, ranting a bit}
Ok what I don't understand is why one emulator has to be better then another emulator. Every emulator have is strong points, some have many things in common, and then they all has their own flaws, but who cares. Emulation isn't about who can run what faster, though this is a major goal for emu authors, the main point of an emulator is a challenge to see if you can get a piece of hardware/software to run on a platform it wasn't designed for, not for people to just download and play games for free.

It annoys the bloody hell out of me when I see a thread like this, I first tried to ignore this one but holy crap people, get some perspective on a subject before you dive right into it. You people who are just here to get Warez N64 ROMs from download sites to play them for free instead of on a console should be ashamed of yourselves. YOU’RE the people who make video game companies go out of business, you’re the kind of people that make emulators look like a way valid programmers are trying to rip off people, when this "Emulation Scene" is more of a place to see what a programmer is capable of accomplishing, and you’re the people that make companies like Nintendo and Sega announce that Emulation is illegal and get valid sites shutdown.

NOTE TO NEWBIES.::. If you are just here to download ROMs and Emulators for cheap entertainment, get the flying f**k out of here, you should think about what your doing. You are stealing from (mostly) small companies that are contracted by larger companies to make a game. You are sending a message to your favourite game developers that you believe their game is worthless and that its only worth of the game is the time it took you to download.

What if someday you create something, and people instead of buying a copy (being it software, a movie, a book, or any other object that can be copied) just went out and copied a friends copy, of just decided to steal it from your warehouse before you had a chance to sell it to a distributor?

That’s all I have to say, if you disagree with me I'll be sure to set you straight in continuing posts.

Last edited:

crhylove

Banned
i swear to god, it seems like smiff and malcolm are talking....

... but all i hear is, "waaaaahh."

obviously every emu has it's strong points. as to which emu is going to be most effective for the average rom loading n00b, my statements stand.

it's not a competition. in NO way did i put ANYONE down in my post. so if you have thin skin, i don't know GROW SOME.

fwiw i use almost every emu out, for almost every console, i'm a fan. not just of roms, as a matter of fact the only roms worth playing (for me) i already own in cartridge form, and several do not play currently in any emu.

i.e. dr mario for n64, one of my faves.

why does everyone have to fly off the handle, when a simple comparison is being made to let a n00b know where to go, and how to get there?

do you really think zilmar and jabo are gonna get all pissy that i said that (imho) the next incarnation of 1964 would be the highest compat for the average user? they ruled the whole scene for like 4 years. only recently when they officially ended their involvement, (after which they open sourced, which is a very VERY admirable thing) have other emus started catching up. in fact, that might be WHY many other emus are catching up.

so check your fan boy attitude at the door, and atfq, don't tell some n00b, rtfm.

waaahhh!!!

great, now i'm whining.

thanks alot!

rhy

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Me whining? No no no, actually re-reading every it is you, crhylove, who was the one who created the original problem when you stated
in a week or so, DEFINITELY go 1964.
Smiff went of the defensive and I was supporting (sort of) that emulators shouldn't be compaired. When your point in that statement was that the new 1964 release should be out in 2 weeks. Misunderstanding on my (and probably Smiff's) part.

But I still stand by what I say, that most people in the "emulation scene" are here too leech free games and grab a free program to play them. The only emulators I actually have had a problem with are Bleem! (and Bleem!Cast) and that other PSX emulator that cost money.

That sums that up :)

OP
Rocketman_mab

Rocketman_mab

Down boy...

OK OK

Let's ALL get some perspective here!

When I started this thread I asked one simple question. Which emulator performed better. I had no intention of trying to find out out which ones ran which games in order to use those to "steal" from the gaming companies. I wanted to know the difference between TWO emulators for Christ's sake!!! How in the world do you go from "which two emulators work better, or how are they different" to "i hate cheap newbies". I'm interested in learning about emulation because it fascinates me. Please answer those original questions or Piss off!!

now it's me that needs the sedative

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
[quick answer]
Test them both.

Depending upon your video card Jabo's D3D Plug-in may be best (with either emu) but an emus performance is directly related to your system.

So, grab both (a total of 1.5mb) and try them both out.
[/quick answer]

Oh, and my comments are not directed to you in particular, they're directed to most of the new people trying emulation. Us older generation Emu'ers were here to mainly experiment and such, but most newer users (and this can be shown by viewing the present poll on Emu64.com) want an emulator to be out ASAP, even before the actual console is released. People can come to their own conclusions but mine are because people want to use Emulator rather then spending money for companies to further develop and prosper from what they have created. I hope that further elaborates on my previous post a little.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
like Malcolm says, try them.... some people say PJ is too slow on a P4 3Ghz.. others swear by it on a K6-2 500... some say 1964 is great... others can't get it to work at all... so no answer is gonna help you much i fear.

DeadRabbit

Emutalk Janitor
I think from reading Rocket man's post, that he already has used both emulators.

He states that they seemed to setup the same , use the same plugins etc.

Without wanting to put words into his mouth, I think maybe what he was saying was that "on the face of it" they seem to be practically the same. And maybe wanted to know the differences in the underlying technology (for want of a better term), of the two emu's. the bits that aren't immediately apparant to him or other new users, just to increase his knowledge of emulation generally.

I think for PJ64 at least then Smiff might want to have a stab at this one.

If I've got this wrong Rocket, then I apologise, I'm just trying to maybe get the answers you were looking for :)

Last edited:

crhylove

Banned
rocket:

If you in fact have got both emus working well, which seems to be the case, right?

here's some advice:

put the pj64.rdb in with 1964 (copy, not cut...lol)

and definitely right click several roms in 1964 and try the 32 bit core option. it doesn't work on all roms, so try em out one at a time. there's no definative list yet on the 32 bit option, but i can tell you that mario 64 runs very very well with it on, as well as some others.

basically with the 32 bit option in 1964 you can ALMOST get corn like performance on some machines.

corn is an altogether different emu that only runs a few roms, but can run them even on a Pentium ONE, fairly well.

don't try that with either pj64 or 1964 for about 90% of roms, though. one reason corn can do this is it is a VERY incomplete emu.

rhy

Stezo2k

S-2K
well 1964 seems to be very unstable for me and very slow loading up/closing. it also makes my comp very slow after using it. if u can run 1964 with a good framerate and good stabability,use that. if project 64 works better than 1964 does, go for that, cuz pj64 is the best of the 2. However, if u have a slow system i'd stay with 1964 cuz thats the fastest of the 2.

In compatability terms i'd say pj64 and 1964 seem to have a very compatable core and run around the same amount of games.

Stez

OP
Rocketman_mab

Rocketman_mab

DeadRabbit said:
I think from reading Rocket man's post, that he already has used both emulators.

He states that they seemed to setup the same , use the same plugins etc.

Without wanting to put words into his mouth, I think maybe what he was saying was that "on the face of it" they seem to be practically the same. And maybe wanted to know the differences in the underlying technology (for want of a better term), of the two emu's. the bits that aren't immediately apparant to him or other new users, just to increase his knowledge of emulation generally.

Exactly. Thank you. Also, thanks for the other advice, crhy.

Also, I have a pretty good system.
Pentium 4 1.5Ghz
256RAM
64MB GeoForce3
WinXP
40 Gig HD

Am I wasting my time worrying about because my specs are good enough that it won't matter?

Trotterwatch

I use both emulators to an equal degree, and find in the majority of games their performances are about equal.

The cores of both emulators are absoloutely incredible (from a non techie point of view) it seems, that if the Video plugin supports the game, than either of these two emus will run it to a certain degree.

Dabba_Deh

The Sultan
Rocketman:For the majority of games, you don't really need to be worrying about this. Your comp more than meets the requirements for the two emulators. But, there are exceptions. I use PJ64 for my emulating most of the time, because it's alot easier to configure, and is much more stable than 1964. But if a game ever goes too slow on PJ64, chances are it will work better on 1964. [IE Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, which perform slowly on PJ64, even on my machine. They both do full speed on 1964.] But, there are differences. AFAIK, PJ64 has the RSP emulated closer to perfectly than any other emulator, which helps compatibility. 1964, as has been stated, is much faster. Those are two main differences.

Also, I think it's very unfair to say that an emu is 'better' than another one. Think about it. The programmers of these emulators donate months [In most cases years] of their lives to making an emulator, so that we can use them for our own enjoyment. I it really fair to say 'Don't use PJ64, 1964 is WAY better'. What you are basically doing is saying that the author's work of art is out of date, and nobody should use it. That's a huge slap in the face to an author. And let's face it, most of us just want to play free 64 games anyway. I used to be like that when I was a newbie, many months ago, but now, I just like to watch emulators progress, as well as playing games once in a while. Since we haven't really done anything to help the scene (Coding an emu) we don't have a right to say an emulator 'sucks'. Rant=over.

Last edited:

LD.

*poke*
Just to use an analogy, people spend years designing cars but that doesn't mean that 90% of people wouldn't choose a Ferrari over a Volkswagen. It's perfectly fine to say that an emu is better, as long as you make clear it's only in your opinion, or on your specs.

IMO anyway.

mmcoder

Youre gay.. youre all gay.. thread is gay.. I was offensive and rude and all.. so that means I'm an older wiser scener! l33t l33t l33t

VoodooX

VDX ini Creator
It the end of the day it all comes down to personal preferance

Couple of pro's (I know ive missed loads!)

1964 pros:

Fastest zilmar compat emulator available.
Still very strongly developed
Open source

Pj64 pros:

Very compatable
Open source
Includes Jabos GFX,Sound and Input Plugins

also the cheat system on PJ64 seems to be more reliable than 1964s but that may just be me!

The Ideal situation seems to be a combination of the two!

:D

Lets just be grateful that we have TWO stonking emulators!
*ahem* Sunset *ahem*